Confirmed with Link: Kristian Näkyvä signs with Predators

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
Näkyvä is a defenseman with great skating ability and passing skills. Has great vision and a good shot. Excels on the powerplay, but could use more physical strength.

I like that point. This is a very interesting signing. Did this guy ever enter the draft? Or did he want to just play in the SHL, and never bothered?

Last edited:

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Well, we're restocking the cubboard it looks like. First Moses now this. Glad to see we're getting some solid players outside of the draft since we traded our first away.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
He's a friend of mine so very happy for him and I've always been rooting for him to make it to the NHL some day.

Haven't seen him play a lot recently but what I know is that he's a smart offensive guy who is still solid in his own end. He was a captain of his junior team so I guess he has some leadership skills in him.

Off the ice he has always been genuinely humble and good guy.

I also know that he got some looks from a couple NHL team when he was eligible for the draft.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Curious signing. would want to believe its just a depth move. It makes no sense to sign a depth guy from Europe at 24 and stick him in the AHL. Best I can come up with is he impressed our scouts and he will remain in Europe while we see if he explodes into a roster guy for us.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Curious signing. would want to believe its just a depth move. It makes no sense to sign a depth guy from Europe at 24 and stick him in the AHL. Best I can come up with is he impressed our scouts and he will remain in Europe while we see if he explodes into a roster guy for us.

He's slightly younger, but we did something similar with Johan Alm last year.

I think we can all agree that defensive depth is an organizational weakness right now, and if we can address that for free, great.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He's slightly younger, but we did something similar with Johan Alm last year.

I think we can all agree that defensive depth is an organizational weakness right now, and if we can address that for free, great.

Understand Alm is a lil different in my book hes a stay at home type. Something we need, we have no shortages in the offensive defenseman roles. But I agree any time you can ink a player that has a chance to play in the league without giving up assets its a win.

viiggen

Sep 26, 2009
Luleå
He did a great job in Lulea, became a fan favourite very fast. He has a great shot, and is a puck moving defender. I dont see how he will get icetime in the NHL, he should have chosen another team to get more PP-time.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

We actually make this kind of move pretty often. Johan Alm is the most recent example, but there was the Finn that played a couple of seasons in Milwaukee recently, as well.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I have to say I'm a little bit surprised that he got a NHL contract. Swedish league was perfect for him. More time with the puck and not aggressive pressure from the opposition. When he has enough time with the puck, he is excellent offensive defender. I think he thrived in Sweden. Finnish league is much more similar to NA style hockey. The opposition is more aggressive without the puck and there's less time with the puck. We saw it here (he played years with my favorite team), when he gets under pressure he makes lots of bad plays. He is not that physical too which can be a problem in there but his skating is good.

That being said, I hope he plays well and proves my doubts wrong.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I have to say I'm a little bit surprised that he got a NHL contract. Swedish league was perfect for him. More time with the puck and not aggressive pressure from the opposition. When he has enough time with the puck, he is excellent offensive defender. I think he thrived in Sweden. Finnish league is much more similar to NA style hockey. The opposition is more aggressive without the puck and there's less time with the puck. We saw it here (he played years with my favorite team), when he gets under pressure he makes lots of bad plays. He is not that physical too which can be a problem in there but his skating is good.

Ugh, thanks for the scouting report

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012

Have to agree with you! I have also watched him develop here in Finland and unless he has/will put an extra effort on gaining more muscle...well he is not ready to play in the NHL. Still hopeful that his game has become more mature in Sweden because he has the hands and the vision to play in the NHL!

Definitely hope that at some point he gets a shot to show us what he can bring to the table and prove all who doubt him wrong!:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad