Kris Russell

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Quietly and without much fanfare, a NHL record nobody paid attention to nor cared much about fell yesterday, just as quietly and without fanfare as Kris Russell has played out his NHL career thus far. And I think it's time to give him his due credit.

Now I'll be the first to say this. Blocked shots is NOT a good stat, especially not at even strength. What puts you in position to block shots is poor ability to break up cycles/pick off passes/win board battles/fail to transition the puck out of your zone. But plenty of NHL defensemen get hemmed in their zone just as hard if not harder than Russell but won't pay the price of 2000 blocked shots in nearly 900 career games. There's something to be said about a player willing to go out there and put your body in front of a >90 mph flying rubber object to make up for transition mistakes, especially as consistently as this guy is willing to do it.

I also noticed yesterday when going through his blocked shots stats that he has also quietly and without fanfare, played over 300 games for the Oilers. This is even longer than he played for Columbus and Calgary, and he's slowly creeping into our top 50 all time games played leaders. He's becoming "an Oilers mainstay" the same way some of our other heart and hustle over talent guys of yore like Jason Smith and Steve Staios were. I've also started watching him in a less biased light now that the albatross contract is gone and his pay adequately reflects his abilities. Despite his warts, this guy has value for us. He's been one of our strongest PKers for years on a great PK unit, which is the one condition where Kris Russell's bread and butter skill is ALWAYS welcome: the getting down on your knees/stomach to stop the incoming booming point shot or one timer bomb from the circle.

He also always fills his role without even the slightest sign of a complaint. He'll take the 10 minutes of total ice time all starting in the defensive zone and mostly on the PK. He'll go out there and play 25 hard minutes against players clearly more talented than him and keep his head above water through sheer force of will and effort because the team has 3LHD injured. He'll line up on his off hand side after years of playing LHD because his GM assembled a roster of 1/2 RHD with 5/6 LHD. He's also the guy who will sit in the press box for 5 games in a row without a peep and then slide right in as if nothing happened and play the same game he's played for years.

So Kris Russell, keep doing what you do. Be that number 7 dman who sits back quiet and unassuming on the bench/pressbox in your very unflattering role, and who goes out there and pays the price when we need you.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You don’t have possession of the puck the entire game. Especially when killing a penalty or in the final 2-3 minutes of a 1 goal lead. That is when you see a Kris Russell. That is when you see a high volume of blocked shots, when your playing in outmanned situations.

Look whose not far behind Russell on total blocked shots. Duncan Keith. He’s been pretty good in his career.

Some players typically defenders are more predisposed to blocking shots and it f***ing hurts. Some who block shots are shitty at it, Russell is basically a 2nd goalie out there.

Yes he is not a puck mover or a flashy defenceman. He has played top 4 most of his career. But he’s been a good defensive defenceman and to block 2000 shots is pretty amazing. At this stage of his career yes he’s a 6/7.

Give the man his due!

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Broberg stays up I would definitely keep Russell on our roster over Koekkoek. Russell also has experience playing on the right side.

I mean, I want Broberg as the #1 all situations D man in Bakersfield this year but he might be forcing our hand here. In the short time he’s had working with Manson and Woodcroft in Bakersfield have already paid dividends.

Broberg has shown so much more than any of us could have expected. When everyone is healthy do we roll with this?

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Broberg-Barrie
Russell

Koekkoek gets waived in that scenario and he likely doesn’t pass waivers. However, decisions need to be made on merit and Broberg has been playing great but I do worry about breaking in 2 young D men at the same time.

The team is in win now time and the best players need to play. I still think Holland makes a deal closer to the TDL for a big, physical stay at home style D man.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Quietly and without much fanfare, a NHL record nobody paid attention to nor cared much about fell yesterday, just as quietly and without fanfare as Kris Russell has played out his NHL career thus far. And I think it's time to give him his due credit.

Now I'll be the first to say this. Blocked shots is NOT a good stat, especially not at even strength. What puts you in position to block shots is poor ability to break up cycles/pick off passes/win board battles/fail to transition the puck out of your zone. But plenty of NHL defensemen get hemmed in their zone just as hard if not harder than Russell but won't pay the price of 2000 blocked shots in nearly 900 career games. There's something to be said about a player willing to go out there and put your body in front of a >90 mph flying rubber object to make up for transition mistakes, especially as consistently as this guy is willing to do it.

I also noticed yesterday when going through his blocked shots stats that he has also quietly and without fanfare, played over 300 games for the Oilers. This is even longer than he played for Columbus and Calgary, and he's slowly creeping into our top 50 all time games played leaders. He's becoming "an Oilers mainstay" the same way some of our other heart and hustle over talent guys of yore like Jason Smith and Steve Staios were. I've also started watching him in a less biased light now that the albatross contract is gone and his pay adequately reflects his abilities. Despite his warts, this guy has value for us. He's been one of our strongest PKers for years on a great PK unit, which is the one condition where Kris Russell's bread and butter skill is ALWAYS welcome: the getting down on your knees/stomach to stop the incoming booming point shot or one timer bomb from the circle.

He also always fills his role without even the slightest sign of a complaint. He'll take the 10 minutes of total ice time all starting in the defensive zone and mostly on the PK. He'll go out there and play 25 hard minutes against players clearly more talented than him and keep his head above water through sheer force of will and effort because the team has 3LHD injured. He'll line up on his off hand side after years of playing LHD because his GM assembled a roster of 1/2 RHD with 5/6 LHD. He's also the guy who will sit in the press box for 5 games in a row without a peep and then slide right in as if nothing happened and play the same game he's played for years.

So Kris Russell, keep doing what you do. Be that number 7 dman who sits back quiet and unassuming on the bench/pressbox in your very unflattering role, and who goes out there and pays the price when we need you.
Great writeup.

As a 7D making 1.5 mill (I think) he is value. It was when he was a Top 4 making over 4 that it wasn't as ideal. He's absolutely perfect now - cap, player and term. Somewhere KK is feeling a real pinch for his job.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You don’t have possession of the puck the entire game. Especially when killing a penalty or in the final 2-3 minutes of a 1 goal lead. That is when you see a Kris Russell. That is when you see a high volume of blocked shots, when your playing in outmanned situations.

Look whose not far behind Russell on total blocked shots. Duncan Keith. He’s been pretty good in his career.

Some players typically defenders are more predisposed to blocking shots because it f***ing hurts. Some who block shots are shitty at it, Russell is basically a 2nd goalie out there.

Yes he is not a puck mover or a flashy defenceman. He has played top 4 most of his career. But he’s been a good defensive defenceman and to block 2000 shots is pretty amazing. At this stage of his career yes he’s a 6/7.

Give the man his due!
People dislike him because he gives up the line easy, but what he does a great job at, atleast in previous years is preventing high danger scoring chances.

Some games I think id trust Russell out there to stop the shot more than Koskinen.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I mean, I want Broberg as the #1 all situations D man in Bakersfield this year but he might be forcing our hand here. In the short time he’s had working with Manson and Woodcroft in Bakersfield have already paid dividends.

Broberg has shown so much more than any of us could have expected. When everyone is healthy do we roll with this?

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Broberg-Barrie
Russell

Koekkoek gets waived in that scenario and he likely doesn’t pass waivers. However, decisions need to be made on merit and Broberg has been playing great but I do worry about breaking in 2 young D men at the same time.

The team is in win now time and the best players need to play. I still think Holland makes a deal closer to the TDL for a big, physical stay at home style D man.
The coach already trusts Broberg which is the biggest thing for young players.

He's already found time on the PP2.

I might roll with that yeah, or even swap Ceci/Barrie.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Nurse-Bouchard
Keith-Ceci
Broberg-Barrie
Russell

He took on that role and seemingly thrived in it. If we choose to send him down it wouldn't hurt him to be guided by Manson down there at all. I agree that on merit he deserves to stay at this point. I would probably roll with something like this on D:

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci
Russell

Depending on match-ups you could switch Bouch and Barrie. IMO these would be fairly balanced pairings and both Ceci and Keith could mentor our young D while Nurse and Barrie hopefully try to return to their level of play from last season.

If we are adding a physical D I am not sure that Chiarot is our guy as I was hoping for a Larsson level D and based on my poll on the mains it seems like most see Chiarot as a definite step down. If we add such a player then odds are that we have injuries to the back end or the brass wants Broberg to spend more time in Bako.

The added benefit of Broberg being with the big club is more minutes for Samorukov down there. He had a beauty assist last night and IIRC will be waiver eligible next season so we will need to make a decision on him.

Breaking in Bouch and Broberg at the same time will undoubtedly end up with some growing pains. The beauty of it is that we will get them out of the way and allow them to grow into key contributors on a cup contending team. If the goal is to go all in this season, then you probably send Broberg back to Bako and add that physical and experienced LD. If the goal is to win in the next 2-3 years then it might make more sense to get the growing pains out of the way now.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He took on that role and seemingly thrived in it. If we choose to send him down it wouldn't hurt him to be guided by Manson down there at all. I agree that on merit he deserves to stay at this point. I would probably roll with something like this on D:

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci
Russell

Depending on match-ups you could switch Bouch and Barrie. IMO these would be fairly balanced pairings and both Ceci and Keith could mentor our young D while Nurse and Barrie hopefully try to return to their level of play from last season.

If we are adding a physical D I am not sure that Chiarot is our guy as I was hoping for a Larsson level D and based on my poll on the mains it seems like most see Chiarot as a definite step down. If we add such a player then odds are that we have injuries to the back end or the brass wants Broberg to spend more time in Bako.

The added benefit of Broberg being with the big club is more minutes for Samorukov down there. He had a beauty assist last night and IIRC will be waiver eligible next season so we will need to make a decision on him.

Breaking in Bouch and Broberg at the same time will undoubtedly end up with some growing pains. The beauty of it is that we will get them out of the way and allow them to grow into key contributors on a cup contending team. If the goal is to go all in this season, then you probably send Broberg back to Bako and add that physical and experienced LD. If the goal is to win in the next 2-3 years then it might make more sense to get the growing pains out of the way now.
If the goal is to pick up a physical dman I'd much rather target a lower pedigree low event depth guy both for cap and trade asset reasons (if we're making a big splash it should ideally be for a goalie). Justin Braun, Nick Holden, Robert Hagg, Ilya Lyubushkin, and Mark Pysyk are all pending UFAs on mediocre to bad teams that fit this niche and can likely be had for cheap.

Reactions: Oilhawks

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci
Russell

Good post, on further contemplation I like Broberg-Ceci as well.

This would allow us to better distribute our D minutes as well as we’d have a very good 3rd pairing unit to put out there.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If the goal is to pick up a physical dman I'd much rather target a lower pedigree low event depth guy both for cap and trade asset reasons (if we're making a big splash it should ideally be for a goalie). Justin Braun, Nick Holden, Robert Hagg, Ilya Lyubushkin, and Mark Pysyk are all pending UFAs on mediocre to bad teams that fit this niche and can likely be had for cheap.
I wouldnt mind getting Lyubushkin so Kassian can demolish him at practice without getting a suspension.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Yeah, if we're dropping a 1st on a rental, it would need to be a legit game changer IMO. I would hope that if we do add a depth defenseman that he will step in and do better than Kulikov did for us.

Good post, on further contemplation I like Broberg-Ceci as well.

This would allow us to better distribute our D minutes as well as we’d have a very good 3rd pairing unit to put out there.

It would definitely allow us to deploy their minutes more evenly in comparison to when we've run Koekkoek as our 3LD. If we have a really tough match-up at home we could try Nurse-Ceci as well.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kris Russell is a warrior. Elite shot blocking talent (yes it’s a skill) and the balls of steel of pull it off. Russell slander needs to stop and he deserves a lot more appreciation than he’s been getting. Hes always in position. Rarely makes dumb plays. Awesome team guy. Will do and play whatever role the team has for him. Yes, he’s undersized, getting older, and has trouble moving the puck. But he’s still good in his role as an occasional 3LHD that’ll have no issues subbing in and out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If we're acknowledging him, why is this not called the Kris Russell "Appreciation thread"? You know, to match the other 12 "appreciation threads" we've had so far this year.;):D

Last edited:
Reactions: Game 8

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
All-time shots blocked is a slightly dubious record to many, but I for one appreciate it.

XXxNRDw.jpg

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hes a decent bottom pairing dman that should have never been signed to a 4m contract.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I dont care how much he’s paid. That is a discussion for and him and the gym. I care how he plays the game. He does a good job there. Keep in mind, it’s not only his miscues he’s stopping from getting to the net.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I dont care how much he’s paid. That is a discussion for and him and the gym. I care how he plays the game. He does a good job there. Keep in mind, it’s not only his miscues he’s stopping from getting to the net.
Is he getting paid by Gold's as well?;):laugh:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Kinda dumb how Russell was catching flack in the last GDT about his offensive abilities.

He's done a ton for this team and his current contract is a bargain. We could be doing a whole lot worse for a 6-7 defenceman.

Really happy for him for breaking that shotblocking record.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad