Player Discussion Kris Russell

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's a good bottom pair defenseman. I would love him as our #5 beside a guy like Nakladal if a guy like Wotherspoon or Kulak can step up to middle pair.

Giordano-Brodie
Kulak-Hamilton
Russell-Nakladal

That looks like a very good top 6 to me if Kulak can handle the minutes.

I never want to see Kris Russell on our top 4 for a full season again. Or Engelland. I'd rather live with a youngster making rookie mistakes than spend every shift hemmed in and gasping for breath.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
Somewhat tough to listen to with Loubardias getting upset and interrupting Steinberg, then not understanding his point.

I think he can be a solid #4 if you've got a good #3 to play him with, but I agree that he's over his head as our #3 and he's overmatched against top competition. As far as shot-blocking, Russell blocks a higher percentage of shot attempts against than any other flame. IIRC last time I looked it up he blocked ~21% of attempts against while he's on the ice, while our other D were between 10% and 17%. It's not just him getting outshot, he is actually very good at blocking shots (as anyone who watches him can attest).

He's a very agile skater and is quite good carrying the puck up the ice, and I also agree that he's a hard worker and a great locker room guy. However his breakout passes aren't all that accurate and he's a really mediocre shooter, and his size really limits him in puck battles.

Honestly, I think his biggest problem is he relies too much on his shot-blocking. It leads to him backing off of incoming forwards way too much on the rush, which makes zone entries against him extremely easy, and I think that's the biggest explanation for his incredibly poor possession stats. I'm very curious to see how he performs with a coach who doesn't emphasize shot blocking as much - I could easily see him being a very solid second pairing guy with much better stats if he played more aggressively.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm more inclined to believe Wotherspoon will get a regular NHL job over Kulak. I like Kulak, but I don't think he repeat steals a D job out of camp. I'd even put Andersson and Kylington in front of him.

I'm not saying he sucks, but I think next years D prospect competition will be even more competitive.

I would be excited if Wotherspoon can train to be a Regehr lite.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wow, I got half-way through that radio clip and had to stop. Loubardias is obviously way too emotionally invested in the topic to discuss it rationally. I hate hearing thoughts close to my own be presented so poorly.

Russell would be a great #5 defenceman. His value in other GMs' eyes appears to be higher than that, so that makes this a good time to sell. I think his puck presence is underrated, and I think the criticism of his shot-blocking defensive style overcompensates for the truth.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think he is a #4 but is prone to mistakes when tired so you have to make sure you don't over play him. He is a good skater but imo needs someone else to do the passing as his breakout passes are all over the place. I think if he wasn't as comfortable blocking shots he might be more effective as he tends to back off and allow the shot because he believes he will be able to block it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm more inclined to believe Wotherspoon will get a regular NHL job over Kulak. I like Kulak, but I don't think he repeat steals a D job out of camp. I'd even put Andersson and Kylington in front of him.

I'm not saying he sucks, but I think next years D prospect competition will be even more competitive.

I would be excited if Wotherspoon can train to be a Regehr lite.

That would imply that he actually hits more often than he currently does however.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Russell's a good #5 that is simply overmatched as a #3 but wants to paid like one anyway thanks to Hartley's usage/lack of depth. Can't fault Russell for wanting to get paid but anything over 4M a season runs a very high risk of the contract being MacDonald 2.0.

I said earlier in the season that Wotherspoon still had the ability to be a solid #4/#5 in the NHL. I'm going to take it up a notch now and say he could end being a superior version of Russell in a couple of years if things go his way. He has the size, strength, decision making skills and calmness to be a very good bottom three defensive with an appropriately matching cap hit.

If Wotherspoon can keep up his play and improve on it, really doubt the team is going to miss Russell at all.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Man, that was intense!

edit: Confirmed - Lou does have ears.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That would imply that he actually hits more often than he currently does however.

:laugh: Fair enough. He hits more regularly than most of the other D men. But yeah, he's not as physical as Regehr.

I think it's time to walk from Russell. He's a 4/5 sort of guy. Can lead a bottom pairing, can't really lead a second pairing.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Perfectly fine #4, seems some people have unrealistic expectations of what that looks like. His current contract(definitely curious what his next one is) makes him a great #4. People forget how good he was last year down the stretch once Gio went down. That Russell-Wideman pairing really played above their heads and was a huge reason we were in the playoffs.

To me, and I realize it's likely an unpopular opinion, he is the most positionally sound defenceman on the roster. Brodie and Gio are given free reign to mostly do what they want, and rightly so because their offence makes up for the occasional D zone gaffe. Really smart player that makes up for his lack of talent and physical gifts by working his ass off. Shot blocking has become the preferred mode of defence for most of the teams in the league. How many blocks did the Kings have against us last game?

It's not really about being aggressive and puck pursuit anymore, especially above the face off dots. Kris Russell leads the league in Blocks per 60 by a mile because he's consistently in the right position to make a block, namely between the shooter and the net and where you would hope your Dman is. Turnovers and +- are much more team stats, and the team has been poor in its own zone all year.

It really is unfortunate that the Wideman, Smid, and Engelland contracts are likely going to cause Russell's departure from the team, because in my mind he's a great compliment to Dougie and would serve as a good vet for some of the prospects to learn from. He plays like a (admittedly REALLY poor man's) Duncan Keith.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lol I read the thread title and came in here asking if anyone heard that discussion today. Pretty hilarious.

I think they are the two polar opposites in terms of where people stand in terms of Russell.
Personally I think Steinberg pays way too much attention to advanced stats. But I also don't think Russell is as great as Lou says. To me. He's a low end #4 D. But I think you would be very hard pressed to find 100 let alone 120 D better than Russell. So to me he's a number four guy.
Even if he's not an ideal number four on a championship team. He's still a number four.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Russell's the top rental defenseman on the market. If he brings back a bigger than expected return, that'll be the main reason.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
#5 guy who can fill in on your middle pairing in a pinch. Going to get hugely overpaid this summer. Great guy for a playoff run though because hes all heart and leaves everything out on the ice.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I heard that on the radio on the way to school and didn't know loubo could get that heated

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
He's a #4/5, he's really underrated on our board. The return he gets on this deadline should prove that.
By "on the board", I hope you mean 3-4 individuals because that's a fair approximate who don't think he's a decent #4-5 on CFHF.

I don't think anyone here ever doubted he could return something big (is there any other UFA defenseman with the top 4 label in the trade market atm?). That doesn't prove anything other than a good chunk of NHL executives agrees with you, however.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Treliving's not going to try to sign him this summer because he's important to the team or something, is he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad