Kris Russell

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I would love to see this guy re-signed as he has certainly earned it. The question is: is he overachieving in a contract year? The length of the contract shortens for me because of this concern. You don't sign this guy for 4+ because of one good (half) season so far, plus now he's injured. I would love 2 years - $3.5M, or 3 years - $3M personally. Anything more than that is too much IMO.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If we can snag him at 3 years for 2.8 million per, that would be great. If he continues to play well, he'll earn a 5 million dollar contract afterwards and really cash out

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Good thread topic CoRD.

In the spirit of buy low, sell high trading him might be the best option. Surely he could fetch more than a 5th. Maybe significantly more. How many Flames have raised their trade value this season?

However, I really like his game and kind of want to see him stay. But this is the problem. Brodie, Giordano, Smid, Wi eman and O'Brien are all signed for next season.

How can a Calgary Flames ticket salesman justify coming near last in both wins and GAA and then bringing back the same top 6 D?

I've suggested it before and got crapped on but I will suggest it again. Get rid of Wi eman. Replace him with a tough shutdown type D. Then extend Russell and pretty much give Wideman's role to Russell.

I would say that the term/amounts that CoRD suggested are in line. I will vote extend 2 years. But I also want to get rid of the junk. 2 of Wi eman, Smid and SOB should go. Hell, all 3 can go. And like I said, trading might actually be the best choice.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Letting him walk is not an option. Talk to him now, try to get an extension. If he extends, look at dealing Wideman or Smid, as well as O'Brien. If he wants to wait, trade him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Keep Smid, he brings something totally different than Wideman, Brodie and Russell. I'd deal Wideman, then keep Brodie and Russell as both are really similar and can play in our top 4. Seiloff is gonna be our bruiser anyways, so I'd also deal one of SOB or Butler. I will acknowledge that Butler has played better, but he's not a top 4 dman (on a good team anyways) and he'd fetch more in a trade than SOB so I'd deal him.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I absolutely love Butlers play without the puck. Blocks shots like a champ, gets in passing lanes, has a good stick. But my god his play with the puck is abysmal. Can't make clean passes, brutal shot, bad decisions. Guy is a helluva PKer tho. I only keep Butler as a #7 call-up type guy. He is simply not a top 4 dman.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
keep russel for a 2/3 year deal, could make wideman expendable in a couple years.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I absolutely love Butlers play without the puck. Blocks shots like a champ, gets in passing lanes, has a good stick. But my god his play with the puck is abysmal. Can't make clean passes, brutal shot, bad decisions. Guy is a helluva PKer tho. I only keep Butler as a #7 call-up type guy. He is simply not a top 4 dman.

And you made such good points when you started the thread. Butler can't come back. The Flames winning percentage over the last 2 seasons scream MANY OF THESE PLAYERS DON'T CUT IT. Butler can't come back. Period. No No No No

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Yeah man. I think he plays too much ice time and gets sloppy with the puck. He can't handle and forecheck when its time to transition.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
And you made such good points when you started the thread. Butler can't come back. The Flames winning percentage over the last 2 seasons scream MANY OF THESE PLAYERS DON'T CUT IT. Butler can't come back. Period. No No No No

That's quite the conclusion you're drawing. Its year 1 of the rebuild. What has happened in prior seasons can't be fairly tied with our current season. We've had a goaltending rollercoaster, no offense, and lack possession because we can't win the faceoff. Winning percentage shouldn't be tied into player evaluation. We win and lose as a team.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
No believe me I hear you. Butler reminds me of Anders Eriksson when he has the puck. Possibly the worst hockey IQ offensively in the league. But defensively he is actually incredible. It's a shame he can't put it together. Like I said, I want him gone unless it's a #7 emergency call-up role. He is solid in the d-zone. We've just overused him. **** he was on our top pairing with J-Bo not long ago. Embarrassing.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
That's quite the conclusion you're drawing. Its year 1 of the rebuild. What has happened in prior seasons can't be fairly tied with our current season. We've had a goaltending rollercoaster, no offense, and lack possession because we can't win the faceoff. Winning percentage shouldn't be tied into player evaluation. We win and lose as a team.

The Flames finished 24th last season. And are 28th this season. To say that indicates that some of the players aren't legit NHLers is not a far fetched conclusion at all. In fact, to say anything else would be far fetched. Winning percentage should absolutely be tied into player evaluation. Because like you said, they win and lose as a team.

I'm saying that some of these players need to go. And I am identifying Butler as one of them. If you think that Butler should stay, that is fine. But 5 D already signed for next year. I noticed that you voted to extend Russell by 3 years. No way that the Flames finish at the bottom of the league and then bring back the exact same top 7. No way.

The NHL is a results based business. And winning is the most important stat. Why wouldn't winning% and team success be tied into player evaluation.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames finished 24th last season. And are 28th this season. To say that indicates that some of the players aren't legit NHLers is not a far fetched conclusion at all. In fact, to say anything else would be far fetched.

"Anything else" could be as simple as saying that our top-6 aren't legit top-6 forwards, and our top-4 aren't legit top-4 defencemen, which is hardly far-fetched. Doesn't mean anyone isn't an NHLer, just means that our players are generally being put in a position to fail by not having true top-end talent.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
No believe me I hear you. Butler reminds me of Anders Eriksson when he has the puck. Possibly the worst hockey IQ offensively in the league. But defensively he is actually incredible. It's a shame he can't put it together. Like I said, I want him gone unless it's a #7 emergency call-up role. He is solid in the d-zone. We've just overused him. **** he was on our top pairing with J-Bo not long ago. Embarrassing.

Uhmmmmmm.........I get your point but still no from me.

What if the Flames re sign Butler to be the number 7? I'll tell you what happens. A couple of guys get hurt. And maybe another guy is really struggling. Then all of a sudden we are right where we can all agree that we don't want to be. Watching Chris Butler play 20+ a game. Again.

If you keep doing what you have done, you will keep getting what you have got. -Dr Phil

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
"Anything else" could be as simple as saying that our top-6 aren't legit top-6 forwards, and our top-4 aren't legit top-4 defencemen, which is hardly far-fetched. Doesn't mean anyone isn't an NHLer, just means that our players are generally being put in a position to fail by not having true top-end talent.

Absolutely. The Flames aren't going anywhere without bringing in top end talent.

But do you think it is possible that we are both right? Maybe the Flames need upgrades at the top end AND at the bottom end of the roster. Their record suggests that they do.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Absolutely. The Flames aren't going anywhere without bringing in top end talent.

But do you think it is possible that we are both right? Maybe the Flames need upgrades at the top end AND at the bottom end of the roster. Their record suggests that they do.

My point is that our record wouldn't show any difference between your suggestion and mine. However, a comparison of our bottom-6 with championship contenders' bottom-6s is a little more damning.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If he had the worst hockey IQ in the league he would be bad in his own zone too. Being solid defensively is actually a sign of a high hockey IQ because so much of it requires reading the play. Being good with the puck is more of a skill.

Anders Eriksson was bad defensively too, the only thing he has in common with Butler is size and an ability to log minutes.

Onto Russell. Trade him while his value is high. No question in my mind he is not apart of future plans, so Burke will move him and bring in defenders with more size and that are more physical.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Flames finished 24th last season. And are 28th this season. To say that indicates that some of the players aren't legit NHLers is not a far fetched conclusion at all. In fact, to say anything else would be far fetched. Winning percentage should absolutely be tied into player evaluation. Because like you said, they win and lose as a team.

I'm saying that some of these players need to go. And I am identifying Butler as one of them. If you think that Butler should stay, that is fine. But 5 D already signed for next year. I noticed that you voted to extend Russell by 3 years. No way that the Flames finish at the bottom of the league and then bring back the exact same top 7. No way.

The NHL is a results based business. And winning is the most important stat. Why wouldn't winning% and team success be tied into player evaluation.

Right.. so what team does our defense have in front of them and behind them? Giordano is playing for the same team as Butler, therefore team winning percent is the same. So we treat them the same, since we win and lose as a team? I ... doubt it.

And while it most certainly a results based business. But the Flames are in a rebuild. What results are you expecting?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
My point is that our record wouldn't show any difference between your suggestion and mine. However, a comparison of our bottom-6 with championship contenders' bottom-6s is a little more damning.

I'd say essentially the Flames have players playing (at forward, at least) a line above what they should. What they need is 2-3 high end (top line) forwards. They don't have to replace anybody, but just push Stajan/Backlund/Hudler/Stempniak down the rotation a bit so that they comprise the middle six forwards along with Glencross and whoever (Jones, I guess, for now).

And guys like McGrattan and Westgarth should not even be on the team. Not in the minors, not as healthy scratches. Just not associated with the Flames.

@Guido Sarducci: Until this season, the Flames' problems have been on the top end, not the bottom. The supporting players have, for the most part, done quite well, but the top line (or top six, often) was getting outshot, outplayed, and outscored. And those are the guys taking up most of the ice time. Now the problems are everywhere because of the trash goons and newbies who are having trouble holding their own.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I voted two years but I'd be okay with three as well. Sign Russell for two or three years at roughly 2.5M to 3M per while trading Butler and O'Brien.

Next season, roll with:

Giordano - Brodie
UFA/Trade - Wideman
Smid-Russell

Sign a vet to be the 7th defensemen if Breen or Cundari aren't ready. Seiloff, Ramage and Wotherspoon can act as the primary call ups if anyone's injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad