Proposal: Kris Russell to LA

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think people are overlooking the fact that he would only be paid 1.5M.
If Russels cap was 1.5M we wouldnt even be talking about trading him.

Guys a great 3rd pairing defenceman that plays hard, blocks shots and coaches love him. Hes a serviceable defenceman a team can use while they let their prospects develop in the minors.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
To LA: Russell, Edmonton 1st 2020
To EDM: VGK 2nd 2020

Kings have absolutely zero reason to help out Edmonton for free.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Idk maybe it costs the Oilers a late round pick. He is an impending UFA who is still a solid #5 probably higher on weaker teams and only costs 1.5 million dollars in cash. He wouldnt be expensive to find a taker.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
To LA: Russell, Edmonton 1st 2020
To EDM: VGK 2nd 2020

Kings have absolutely zero reason to help out Edmonton for free.
Thats absurd.

The Oilers can just keep him or find another team thats interested. It wouldnt be expensive to offload a player with Russell's slightly overpaid soon to be UFA deal

Reactions: TFHockey

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think people are overlooking the fact that he would only be paid 1.5M.
If Russels cap was 1.5M we wouldnt even be talking about trading him.

Guys a great 3rd pairing defenceman that plays hard, blocks shots and coaches love him. Hes a serviceable defenceman a team can use while they let their prospects develop in the minors.
Only 11 teams finished the season with $2.5 million or more in cap space this season (that is the difference between actual dollars and cap hit). There are very few teams that less actual dollars is helpful for most team cap hit is the bigger issue. Of those 11 teams, the Wild, Islanders, Rangers, Colorado and CBJ all have far better defenses and have zero need for Russell. Of the 6 remaining teams Ducks, LA and Ottawa are rebuilding and would benefit more from giving their young guys ice time. That leaves the Jets, Canadians and Devils as the only teams in the league with the additional cap space and the roster space to bring in a player like Russell. I also do not think Russell is the kind of player a team "clears out cap" in order to bring in.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Thats absurd.

The Oilers can just keep him or find another team thats interested. It wouldnt be expensive to offload a player with Russell's slightly overpaid soon to be UFA deal

Well you have to give to get something.
We don't free cap space for free.

I am sure another team would be a better fit

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Because of Marleau most of HF seems to think any contract over a couple million will require at least a first round pick to move.

I don't think he'd be as hard to move as some here think he will be. I also think he's still a very serviceable bottom pairing defenseman capable of filling in when injuries hit, unlike some here.

That said I'd also be perfectly happy with Edmonton holding onto him for one more year or trying to flip him at the deadline for whatever. Nobody's interested in a solid 5/6 guy owed 1.5 mil for one year for a 5th or 6th without a 1st rounder attached to him? That's fine too.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
EDM 1st and Russell for 1 of the Kings 2nd's.

Can't say that is a reasonable ask. We aren't talking Lucic or Neal here. Russell is UFA and the end of next year and is only paid $1.5 Million in real dollars. I am betting Holland can find him a home.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well you have to give to get something.
We don't free cap space for free.

I am sure another team would be a better fit
I agree. There are teams weaker defensively than the Kings that could use a guy like Russell.

I think he goes to Detroit or Ottawa as a 1 year stop gap and the Oilers pay a 4th or something like that and get an AHL/ECHL warm body in return.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thats absurd.

One year of Marleau at $6.25 million cost the Leafs a first, so this is actually a discount. Cap space is cap space. You can try to sell me garbage, but that doesn’t mean I have to buy it. If Russell’s cap hit was $1.5 million instead of $4 million, you’re right, it would be a different story (and the Kings still wouldn’t be interested). But cap space is likely the most valuable asset this offseason and teams aren’t going to be jumping at the opportunity to take on bad contracts for no reason.

If Edmonton wants some cap space to improve their team, they’re going to have to pay for it.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Can't say that is a reasonable ask. We aren't talking Lucic or Neal here. Russell is UFA and the end of next year and is only paid $1.5 Million in real dollars. I am betting Holland can find him a home.

You are looking at that from the usefull point of view.
But Lot's a of manager's especially in the West are more happy with Russel on Edmonton's team than having a 4th rounder.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Russell will yield a 3rd rounder, book it. HF is out to lunch as usual on player value.

At the deadline, I think that's likely. Really no reason for EDM to dump him right now, is there?

But in this current offseason with cap and revenue at a premium, there's not much of a market for Russell. You're asking a team to give a good value pick for a bottom pairing veteran d-man with a pretty beefy cap-to-role at the worst time. I guess someone could be desperate, but wish in one hand and...

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
One year of Marleau at $6.25 million cost the Leafs a first, so this is actually a discount. Cap space is cap space. You can try to sell me garbage, but that doesn’t mean I have to buy it. If Russell’s cap hit was $1.5 million instead of $4 million, you’re right, it would be a different story (and the Kings still wouldn’t be interested). But cap space is likely the most valuable asset this offseason and teams aren’t going to be jumping at the opportunity to take on bad contracts for no reason.

If Edmonton wants some cap space to improve their team, they’re going to have to pay for it.

Marleau is not comparable at all, he had a full NMC and would only accept a trade to a team that would buy him out. Dubas screwed the Leafs it was either give up the 1st to dump Marleau or not be able to sign Matthews/Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad