Proposal: Kris Russell to LA

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
LA
Kris Russell $4.0 AAV $1.5 ACTUAL SALARY 1 year (UFA)
6th round pick 2021(PITT OR EDM)

EDITED

Oilers
5th round pick 2021

-great contract for LA

-Russell is a $1.5 mill player and he's getting paid like it but has an AAV of $4 mill which is beneficial for the kings during Covid To help reach capfloor

-played decent for us during the chicago series

-can play LHD or RHD

-Kings have a young defense, russell brings good veteran leadership

-can trade him at the deadline for a 4th round pick (ex. Green trade)

-has a 15 team trade list and i think would like to stick to playing in the west and it's California who wouldn't want to play there

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you add something with Russell, sure. I'm not helping the Oilers in their desperate attempt to open up more cap space in order to improve the team to keep McDavid happy, without getting something for it. Russell by himself does not do that. He doesn't help. Trade probably a higher 5th to get probably a lower half 4th? For what? The privilege of watching Kris Russell?

Reactions: Voight and Guitpik

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
If you add something with Russell, sure. I'm not helping the Oilers in their desperate attempt to open up more cap space in order to improve the team to keep McDavid happy, without getting something for it. Russell by himself does not do that. He doesn't help. Trade probably a higher 5th to get probably a lower half 4th? For what? The privilege of watching Kris Russell?

Fixed added a 6th to you guys

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
When did Melnyk buy the Kings?

A high cap, low salary dump is only meaningful if a team is trying to shed a higher salary player (little to no cap savings unless he is eligible for LTIR) or looking to skirt the cap floor. That's it. If all the Kings do this offseason is fill out the rest of the roster with prospects and cheap free agents, they exceed the floor easily. Russell's cap hit has no value to L.A. period.

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
A 6th, and in 2021? Come on man, pay up.

The Kings are giving a 5th, to get Russell and a 6th, in the hopes that he plays well enough to return a 4th? What if nobody wants him? The Kings are taking the risk here.

Its a move regarding the salary cap, its a great contract for the kings its only a 1 year deal, around deadline time, they'll always be playoff teams that want a veteran defenseman who can play both sides

Who knows maybe you can get more than a 4th?3rd?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I feel like Edmonton has to pay to get rid of Russell. 2nd round value or so.

As a devils fan, I'd offer something like Vancouver's 1st (pick 20) for Edmonton 1st (pick 14) + Russell. I could even throw in Mueller as a cheap (should be about 1.5) LD replacement if needed.

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
I feel like Edmonton has to pay to get rid of Russell. 2nd round value or so.

As a devils fan, I'd offer something like Vancouver's 1st (pick 20) for Edmonton 1st (pick 14) + Russell. I could even throw in Mueller as a cheap (should be about 1.5) LD replacement if needed.

No, lower cap teams that want to reach capfloor, would want russell contract and he can still play 3rd pairing

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No, lower cap teams that want to reach capfloor, would want russell contract and he can still play 3rd pairing

1) Lower cap teams will have their picks of dumps and can get either a) a better player or b) a better sweetener

2) No, Russell clearly can't play 3rd pairing

Reactions: go4hockey

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
While he may have played well relative to the rest of the team, I'd refrain from making any mention of the Chicago series as a selling point to move anyone in that organization.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Horrible deal for the kings. It costed a 1st to get rid of a $6 million cap hit. This is $4 million so about a 2nd. But that is in a normal year with an increasing cap and normal revenue. This is a pandemic year with a frozen cap. Revenue is in the toilet. And this is a division rival.

It will cost more than a 1st to even consider it. The kings have such a great prospect pool that there is no urgency to restock via accepting cap dumps. The Kings also have 5 or even 6 2nd round picks in the next two drafts. This means 2nd round picks don't move the needle at all. If Edmonton wants to dump Russell on the kings, pay up. It is going to cost you.

The Kings will be about $10 million above the cap floor and that is without Russell. The Kings have 16 players signed for 2020-2021 a total cap hit of $60,762,727. The floor is $60.2 million.

Making the cap floor argument is meaningless.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Oilers will have to pay to dump Russell or take on an equally bad contract. Those are the options.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
2) No, Russell clearly can't play 3rd pairing

This isn’t true at all.

If Russell stays, I doubt the Oilers would consider themselves “stuck” with him. Certainly no reason to give anything up to get rid of him.

Reactions: McDoused

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Or the Oil can just keep him for that 4th at the deadline you're mentioning. Seriously, where is the incentive for the Kings to do this?

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad