Player Discussion Kris Russell (Do we need him next year?)

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
So we're halfway through the season and Russellmania has worn off a bit.
His Staios Special around the boards is getting intercepted more. He's still blocking shots and still eating up big minutes.
Very valuable player for this season. His contributions are more than just what he does while he's on the ice. The team struggled without him, no doubt. It forced younger, unprepared players to play a few more minutes than they should have.

But with how Nurse was playing and how Benning looks after half a season, is he becoming expendable?

Personally I see no need to sign him before the expansion draft. That draft may end up with a bigger change than we think. Pouliot is not looking like a good pick up. We can't assume he is the selection anymore.

I don't think it is wise to have Nurse or Benning out of the lineup next season. They need big NHL minutes (Unless Benning burns out as the season wears on).

I don't comfortably say I re-sign him for anything more than one year next season. I don't see him making the same mistake twice. He'll get his term after the expansion draft. But if somehow he doesn't and is in the same situation, I say give the man his money and keep him around. We all know injuries happen. Russell is a major factor in the team overcoming them. But is he worth hindering the development of Benning or Nurse? Obviously Nurse is ahead of Benning on the development side of things, but Benning's handedness gives him an edge.

What's everyone's thoughts?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Ideally the Oilers would have someone better for the top 4 at RHD.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's been the 2nd or 3rd best d-man on the team this year. We don't necessarily need Russell. But we need someone who can play in the top 4 on the right side. So if it's not Russell, it needs to be someone else. Preferably someone better than Russell. Certainly not Nurse/Benning.

No young d-man needs big minutes in the NHL. They need to earn those minutes. Not have a spot left open for them with the hopes that they can fill it. Did we learn nothing with Justin Schultz? If Matt Benning and Darnell Nurse can excel in a bottom pairing role, than why the hell not keep them in that position to continue to excel? And if this time next year they prove better than Russell (or an upgrade on Russell which is my preference), than all of a sudden you have great depth and have a top 4 guy playing on your bottom pairing. All the better.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I think we have too many young D in the system and could risk a drop-off next year if we get too confident in our young guys. Youth is not an asset on defense, and you can see that when you compare Nurse or Davidson to Russell. Kris is always in position, always challenging shooters at the right time, always fighting for body position in an intelligent way. The young guys constantly make little mistakes here and there, ones they will slowly eliminate but which can cost us games. I say keep Russell until the D matures, which in all honesty could be 3 years from now.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Yes we could definitely use him next year

But with UFA status, it will be very risky to commit the money and term he'll most likely be seeking

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
In an ideal world, no. We don't keep Russell.

If Klefbom and Benning keep progressing, it'll help. Also, we still need a PP guy because I'm not convinced we have that player on roster.

Nurse is still going through a bit of growing pains but he really turned on the jets near the injury and he'll still have time when he comes back to get back into the groove.

Klefbom-PP Guy
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Larsson

Should be the goal. Beautiful shutdown pairing, Sekera-Benning continue with their success and Klefbom gets a puckmover to compliment him.

Leaves no room for Russell at the pricetag he'll command.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Yes we could definitely use him next year

But with UFA status, it will be very risky to commit the money and term he'll most likely be seeking

We need him for sure. Our d is hot garbage without him and we all know what things look like when we start that slide. I consider him a cost of doing business, and yes there are better d in the league, unfortunately they just arnt available.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think it depends what happens.

Still lots of season and hopefully playoffs to play and see how things go.

Think depends if we lose davidson.

Think depends if Chiarelli can pick up another more offensive type of d-man after the expansion draft.

Think it depends too what the contract and term will be. I think Russell makes the Oilers defense better. I think he is a solid locker room presence as well. I would just be worried about giving him anything more than 2 years if nothing else really changes on the Oilers.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
We need him unless he gets pushed out by a better defenseman. Only way we should move on from him is if our roster improves enough for that to happen organically. If we just ditch him without improving our roster, that would be a mistake.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We need him unless he gets pushed out by a better defenseman. Only way we should move on from him is if our roster improves enough for that to happen organically. If we just ditch him without improving our roster, that would be a mistake.

Would agree. Unless they are replacing his minutes with someone else, they need him or someone equivalent. They should not be giving his spot to Nurse or Benning by assuming they will outplay him. But be careful with the contract you give him as well.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
So how much dollars and term are you guys willing to commit to get him to resign?

We know better than anyone how tough it can be replacing quality minutes on the back end

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think it all depends on who we lose in the expansion draft.

If it's Davidson we need him back for sure unless that roster spot is being filled by a PP defenceman.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
image.jpg

Dont get me wrong, I like the player and fine with him. But hes a UFA and hes going to chase $$ this offseason (and rightfully so). I wouldnt go higher than 4m * 2 years for him.

Oilers have Davidson coming back from injury and someone who is cheaper and I regard as a better player. Plus they have Nurse and Benning emerging as legit NHLers and good ones at that. Add in Simpson/Reinhart who are knocking on the door and could both be similar to him soon

Basically I like him but we have 2000 left hand D. hes a fine bottom pairing D but well have cheaper options to replace him. If Davidson sucks and Benning regresses to a bad D then we should resign him. But I dont think thatll happen

Next year:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Davidson

Who is that out of place that we need to spend a valuable 4.5M+ to replace them with Russell

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Barring contract issues he should be on this team 100% next year.

Averaging almost 22 mins a game, mistake free, these kind of defenseman don't grow on trees, the oilers should know that better than any other team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Barring contract issues he should be on this team 100% next year.

Averaging almost 22 mins a game, mistake free, these kind of defenseman don't grow on trees, the oilers should know that better than any other team.

Russell was looking for 5m from teams last year and played chicken up until he screwed himself. Not much chance he goes under 4.5 mil long term

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Next year:
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Davidson

Next year's ages, Larsson 25, Sekera 31, Nurse 22, Davidson 26, Benning 23, Klefbom 24. NHL D-men peak at 26-30. I like that linup in two years. Not next year. Not nearly enough maturity and top-4 minute experience to run the team. We need to learn from our mistakes.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Next year's ages, Larsson 25, Sekera 31, Nurse 22, Davidson 26, Benning 23, Klefbom 24. NHL D-men peak at 26-30. I like that linup in two years. Not next year. Not nearly enough maturity and top-4 minute experience to run the team. We need to learn from our mistakes.

Eh well see. There is no rookies in that line up. Larsson is pretty much a vet. Klefbom will have good experience. The least experienced player will be Benning who is playing pretty good.

Id be fine getting a vet but hed need to bring something to the table we currently dont have. Namely being a right shooting D with offense. Russell isnt that

Russell brings good things to the table but for the price tag he wont be an upgrade on what we need. To get Russell next year you will need to also have him for 5+ years after that assuming he signs long term. We really need the cap soon and we really dont need another left handed D beyond next season at the latest.

Id much rather gamble on Nurse or Davidson or even Simpson replacing Russell next year as that MIGHT hurt a bit next year. But we avoid a long term deal with Russell that could get messy. But best case outcome is we can get him on a 2 year deal. Other than that I see no logical way he fits on this team on a long term deal

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Eh well see. There is no rookies in that line up. Larsson is pretty much a vet. Klefbom will have good experience. The least experienced player will be Benning who is playing pretty good.

Id be fine getting a vet but hed need to bring something to the table we currently dont have. Namely being a right shooting D with offense. Russell isnt that

Russell brings good things to the table but for the price tag he wont be an upgrade on what we need. To get Russell next year you will need to also have him for 5+ years after that assuming he signs long term. We really need the cap soon and we really dont need another left handed D beyond next season at the latest.

Id much rather gamble on Nurse or Davidson or even Simpson replacing Russell next year as that MIGHT hurt a bit next year. But we avoid a long term deal with Russell that could get messy. But best case outcome is we can get him on a 2 year deal. Other than that I see no logical way he fits on this team on a long term deal

This. Think of it like signing Lucic longterm with a NTC. I was all for it but it looks like it could bite us as early as 2-3years when we could just play Pitlick, Slepyshev etc at a much lesser cost and still be competitive as a team

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Russell is super important to this team. The only way we can get rid of him is if we have a suitable replacement/upgrade, that is, an NHL veteran Top 4 RHD.

I don't see many options at UFA. Trade could happen, Eberle might fetch a suitable RHD. Although we would be selling low on Eberle after this dismal year.

If we can get Russell at a reasonable contract (something around 3M a year) I think you have to resign him.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Russell was looking for 5m from teams last year and played chicken up until he screwed himself. Not much chance he goes under 4.5 mil long term

Not sure i see the logic here. So no team was willing to commit long term high dollars last year for him, yet this summer, after a season in which he performed exactly as he has in the past, and when he is a year older, all of a sudden teams are going to be willing to commit long term big dollars to him?

Maybe the expansion draft will up his demand slightly, but i doubt many teams are jumping at the chance to give him the kind of deal he wants this year when they weren't last year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Russell is super important to this team. The only way we can get rid of him is if we have a suitable replacement/upgrade, that is, an NHL veteran Top 4 RHD.

I don't see many options at UFA. Trade could happen, Eberle might fetch a suitable RHD. Although we would be selling low on Eberle after this dismal year.

If we can get Russell at a reasonable contract (something around 3M a year) I think you have to resign him.

Unquestionably this would be great. But if he signs for 3M Id have to rethink my existence because that would be so out of the oridinary. Based on other D signings last few years he could easily get 4.5m. He probably had higher offers than that last offseason but played himself and waited to long to sign

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not sure i see the logic here. So no team was willing to commit long term high dollars last year for him, yet this summer, after a season in which he performed exactly as he has in the past, and when he is a year older, all of a sudden teams are going to be willing to commit long term big dollars to him?

Maybe the expansion draft will up his demand slightly, but i doubt many teams are jumping at the chance to give him the kind of deal he wants this year when they weren't last year.

I see the situation as completely different. Last year Russell was pretty unproven with only 2 years of good play. He had a highly regarded season with Calgary year before that and then last year a less hyped season but teams were still high on him (Dallas gave up alot). When it came to contract time teams were still offering high amounts (Leafs were rumored to have offered 5mil over 5 years) but he rejected offers hoping to get a massive payday. Then all the teams needing D found other D elsewhere in the meantime and the market collapsed.

Fast forward to this year: He has legitimized himself based on being a top 4 D onthe Oilers and probably thought of as a reason for their turn around. So if any teams were hesitatant about a big deal last year, they will probably do it this year. Add to that there will be the same number of desperate teams looking for D, and even some additional teams who lost a top 4 D to expansion draft

Hell get same offers he got last year and perhaps even higher ones based on his play this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad