Kris Letang - Is he worth his new contract?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't really like to credit or blame a coaches system for a players performance.

You can take a look at the pens team right now and find some players who have played better under DB, and there are some who have played better this year under MJ.

And that's a highly unfair criticism to Mike Johnston in my opinion.

You have a coach that had 4+ years to implement his system vs a guy that has had under 50 games to. Results won't fully show right away, the Canucks with Desjardins (because WD could have been a coach here) are a unique case because they had Torts for a year then a new coach again, Vigneault's system has long since been purged from their minds. Pens went from a long tenured Bylsma straight to a new Coach and people expect them to forget everything they learned under Bylsma that frustrated them. I see Bylsma tendencies on this team still, I don't know how any one can watch this team often this year and not. The players revert back to it and things look like a mess. When they play to MJ's system, they look solid. When injuries struck hard, the team went back and forth to DB's system tendencies it seemed. Forcing dump ins, looking sloppy in the neutral zone with stretch passes, not rushing up the ice as a unit...etc.

DB's is still fresh in this team's minds.

MJ isn't even getting a fair shake by people here at all, expecting miracles like players are a white board where you can wipe off the past and start fresh right away, not always the case.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
And that's a highly unfair criticism to Mike Johnston in my opinion.

You have a coach that had 4+ years to implement his system vs a guy that has had under 50 games to. Results won't fully show right away, the Canucks with Desjardins (because WD could have been a coach here) are a unique case because they had Torts for a year then a new coach again, Vigneault's system has long since been purged from their minds. Pens went from a long tenured Bylsma straight to a new Coach and people expect them to forget everything they learned under Bylsma that frustrated them. I see Bylsma tendencies on this team still, I don't know how any one can watch this team often this year and not. The players revert back to it and things look like a mess. When they play to MJ's system, they look solid. When injuries struck hard, the team went back and forth to DB's system tendencies it seemed. Forcing dump ins, looking sloppy in the neutral zone with stretch passes, not rushing up the ice as a unit...etc.

DB's is still fresh in this team's minds.

MJ isn't even getting a fair shake by people here at all, expecting miracles like players are a white board where you can wipe off the past and start fresh right away, not always the case.

I'm not blaming MJ for any of the player performances, i give credit and blame to the actual players based on how there performing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not blaming MJ for any of the player performances, i give credit and blame to the actual players based on how there performing.

Yeah it was more so me venting about the coaching whining we have in our forum in addition to the whining about everything these days. I get what you were saying, didn't mean to pile that on quoting your post.

I think this is where the leadership needs to step up, have a meeting with the players and rally the troops.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't really like to credit or blame a coaches system for a players performance.

You can take a look at the pens team right now and find some players who have played better under DB, and there are some who have played better this year under MJ.

That's fair, to a degree. Ultimately it's going to be up to the player to perform. The coaches can't score/defend for them.

I'm just saying that Letang didn't seem comfortable in DB's system, especially towards the end. And that makes some sense, considering the expectations were to essentially chuck it up the wall/middle of the ice every play. When Letang's strength is holding/carrying the puck.

re: MJ... that's also fair HOG. But I understand some of the fretting. Some (myself included) probably take it a bit far, sometimes. But it's discouraging to see some of the same things as we have in the past. But in the end... obviously you have to give the guy some time. You're very right that what was done won't be undone so quickly. And he's shown more I like in a bit more than half a season that DB did in five years on the job, FWIW.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Worth is kind of subjective. Any time a star player signs a long-term contract, even if they continue to play up to their standard high level of play, you have to just accept the fact that the first few years of the deal that player might seem a little overpaid. Then the middle years he's fairly paid. Then at the end he's a bargain. The key is to have guys still on ELCs peppered through-out your lineup so that it isn't really an issue. Maybe Letang isn't worth 7.5 million, but certainly Despres is worth more than 600k. And Maatta (when healthy) is worth more than 900k or whatever. Yeah, I'm answering a question that was asked 9 months ago, so sue me.

All I really care about is that Letang, despite his issues, is a legitimate #1 d-man (one of only about 15 in the league) and would've commanded at least a million more on the open market.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Worth is kind of subjective. Any time a star player signs a long-term contract, even if they continue to play up to their standard high level of play, you have to just accept the fact that the first few years of the deal that player might seem a little overpaid. Then the middle years he's fairly paid. Then at the end he's a bargain. The key is to have guys still on ELCs peppered through-out your lineup so that it isn't really an issue. Maybe Letang isn't worth 7.5 million, but certainly Despres is worth more than 600k. And Maatta (when healthy) is worth more than 900k or whatever. Yeah, I'm answering a question that was asked 9 months ago, so sue me.

All I really care about is that Letang, despite his issues, is a legitimate #1 d-man (one of only about 15 in the league) and would've commanded at least a million more on the open market.

On the open market, I think he would have gotten closer to 9m/yr cap hit averaged out, like Subban. People kind of forgot how good he can be because of last year and then assumed the games he did play, was him being him when he was also suffering through a knee injury and then an elbow infection.

I think he's a #1 defenseman in this league, his cap hit isn't bad at all.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I still don't think Letang has reached his final form. There are some easy things he can work on/continue to refine that would move him up another notch. (passing on the powerplay and getting his shot through being two)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's fair, to a degree. Ultimately it's going to be up to the player to perform. The coaches can't score/defend for them.

I'm just saying that Letang didn't seem comfortable in DB's system, especially towards the end. And that makes some sense, considering the expectations were to essentially chuck it up the wall/middle of the ice every play. When Letang's strength is holding/carrying the puck.

re: MJ... that's also fair HOG. But I understand some of the fretting. Some (myself included) probably take it a bit far, sometimes. But it's discouraging to see some of the same things as we have in the past. But in the end... obviously you have to give the guy some time. You're very right that what was done won't be undone so quickly. And he's shown more I like in a bit more than half a season that DB did in five years on the job, FWIW.

See this is what I am getting at with the same things thing, DB is still fresh in their minds, it's not easy to just adopt a new system 100% and not have tendencies of the previous system when you haven't had a palate cleanser of a coach and I will cite the Canucks again, a long tenured coach, then Torts, then Desjardins is an easier way for a new coach to cement his system vs a long tenured coach and a new guy and then hope the new guy purges the entire old system. It will take more than a season. But we saw how good MJ's system can be when the team was closer to 100% health wise. It seemed as though the more the team lost players, the more they reverted back to DB's system with MJ's system sprinkled in, not a fun thing to see at all and it didn't work at all.

I originally thought around this time, he'll have a better hold of his system on this team, but I think this is something that will take the whole year and another full proper camp.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still don't think Letang has reached his final form. There are some easy things he can work on/continue to refine that would move him up another notch. (passing on the powerplay and getting his shot through being two)

I wish they just brought on Paul Coffey as a consultant rather than him being a spectator that really likes Letang.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
[Tweet]561150079504248833[/Tweet]

Assisted on every goal since the break, 2 points away from leading defensemen (first in PPG with .91), playing great defense.

How are we feeling about this now?

"I can't believe the Penguins pay Kris Letang 7.25M per year"

I saw that Ryan Wilson tweet and was like "Whaaaaa?" Then I saw the '#sarcasm" and was like "Ohhhhh!"

Yeah, Letang's suddenly acquitted himself well. A balanced game, few misadventures, potent offense, and a leadership role.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I've criticized Letang in the past because I thought he wasn't smart enough to put it all together. But everything I've seen him from him this year tells me that he's worth the contract.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

I've criticized Letang in the past because I thought he wasn't smart enough to put it all together. But everything I've seen him from him this year tells me that he's worth the contract.

No doubt the way he is playing now he is easily a top 10 defenseman in the league

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

When you're in a system predicated on you passing the puck regardless of whether you have a passing lane, you're bound to look a little stupid.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Letang without the last few injuries just might have earned him a Norris and upped his contract cap hit significantly. He earned the one PK got and was a pretty big snub. Letang was clearly the better D-man that season. Healthy and he walks away with it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Giordano just put up 3 assists last night... Let the competition continue!

In all seriousness, Letang is legit, and have no doubt that he'll hit more points than Gio. My guess is Letang hits 70 and Gio hits around 65.

Add Kris into Norris contention too, he has stepped up his game a lot, especially with the loss of Maatta and injuries on other D along the way.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Letang is having a hell of a season, most of us didn't expect that from him especially after his set back of last year. Good for him, I'm really happy he has proven everyone wrong and he continues to be a force. And like most have said, he can still get better IMO, has not reached his peak yet.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
He is this year. He has all the talent in the world and if he has truly rounded out his game as he reaches his peak years and keeps this up for awhile that contract is worth it. I hadn't been more pissed off at a managerial decision in a long time as I was when that contract first went through.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Why are you people using so many words? How is this thread anything other than "yes" over and over and over again

BobCole

May 21, 2014
If he can keep it all together I can see him battling it out and getting a couple Norris Trophies. Certainly on his way to a HOF career.

I love Letang. I also think he's having a killer year and should be a Norris candidate (and potentially winner). But I wouldn't say for a second that he's "certainly" on his way to a HOF career. I would be pretty shocked to see him in the Hall, let alone believe for a second that he's a shoo-in.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
I love Letang. I also think he's having a killer year and should be a Norris candidate (and potentially winner). But I wouldn't say for a second that he's "certainly" on his way to a HOF career. I would be pretty shocked to see him in the Hall, let alone believe for a second that he's a shoo-in.

That's my thoughts as well. Letang has long way to go before any Hall of Fame talk starts.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

The thing is Letang's just starting to approach his prime. If he's got 6 years playing at or near this level, (let alone getting even better) and wins a Norris trophy, and another Cup, the guy is a shoe-in for the HOF IMO.

But injuries will probably derail him. That's the argument I would make instead of "not good enough", because this season he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad