Proposal: Kris Letang for Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I know this is never going to happen, I’ve just thought of this trade a few times and was curious of what others thought of it value wise, including contracts.

If I was Bergevin, I would do it because of the offensive upgrade and two years junior.

Bergevin would never as he loves Weber.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No, definitely not. The driving factor for me saying hell no is their contract situations. The Penguins have the opportunity to get out of Letang's contract in 2.5 years when he's a free agent, if they have to. Weber? He's signed for a million years, so if he falls off, you're stuck with him.

You could argue that Weber's contract situation is better, because Letang's next contract is going to be a 35+ contract (which is really risky for such an injury prone player), but Letang having that out makes his situation a lot more attractive.

Reactions: domaug and JackFr

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I think the Weber contract will turn into an asset if he ever decides to retire.
Team with it can blackmail the Predators for the final 3 seasons of his contract.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
For all his faults his skating is so superior to Weber that today's game Letang mobility is an asset. Plus, his contract is up in 2.5 years and frees up 7.5 million to use to get a D man then.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No way Montreal does that. They're not going to get tagged by the end of Weber's contract and Weber's a better veteran presence during the retool.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
From the Pens perspective:
tenor.gif

More so bc Letang is staying apart of the Crosby/Malkin era. Weber is a good player but I'll stick with our guy and I'm sure you will with yours ...unless your French Canadian than I get why you want Letang :naughty:

Reactions: domaug

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I know this is never going to happen, I’ve just thought of this trade a few times and was curious of what others thought of it value wise, including contracts.

If I was Bergevin, I would do it because of the offensive upgrade and two years junior.

Bergevin would never as he loves Weber.

Letang is careless with the puck, but why in the heck would Pittsburgh consider this?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
For all his faults his skating is so superior to Weber that today's game Letang mobility is an asset. Plus, his contract is up in 2.5 years and frees up 7.5 million to use to get a D man then.
Top dman never hit the market and when they do there's only one team who'll end up getting him. Habs have had the money and need to hire one for 3 straight years without any success. Unless that cap space is used to sign a dman already in the organization, I wouldn't hope to get a dman anywhere close to Letang's caliber on the ufa market.
Letang most likely retires a Penguin. He's a leader there and so is Weber on the habs.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Regardless of who could help which team in what situation, Pittsburgh would lose this big time as a result of the particulars of the two players' contracts.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Pens have won three cups with Letang (well, two, he was injured once), no need to move him for an older, less-mobile dman on a worse contract. Absolutely not.

Reactions: Giskard

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Would I like to add Weber, the player he is today, to the Pens roster while they're still competitive? Sure, absolutely. He's a unit. In a financial void, adding Weber to a healthy Pens team, that's probably a surefire cup win within the next 3 years.

Would I add him, with that cap hit and that many years, to the current Pens roster? No. Would I do that all at the cost of Kris Letang (who, warts and all, is a big part of this pens team)? Also no.

Great player, would love to add him, just can't do it at that price.

Jesperi is my Daddy

Jan 2, 2020
Weber is better right now but neither teams touch this. Weber's contract is not an issue because he will retire as soon as his actual salary becomes 1M per year. Nashville gets the recapture penalty not MTL.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
100000% absolutely never from the Pens. We ride and die with Letang. We take his bad moments because the great outweighs the bad by a country mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad