Kris Letang Back TONIGHT!!!

Duck Paddy

May 4, 2010
I believe he said he's experienced dizziness often throughout his life, much as he has had migraines frequently.

Reminds me of women on birth control pills which can cause tiny clots resulting in migraines,dizziness, visual disturbance. Have a pal who gets that any time she's on The Pill.....Possibly he's experienced very tiny clots for years due to the hole in his heart.

Which remains un-repaired.

I really thought he'd have the proc to fix it before they let him play again
, a la Ted Bruschi, but....guess we'll see.

I fear that as long as the hole remains un repaired, he will continue to have these issues. The poor blood flow due to the hole causes clotting, clots may cause strokes.
Perhaps his staying on aspirin the rest of his life will be all he needs, but I really would not feel comfortable if it were me. I'd go for repair to eliminate the cause.

I'm not a neurologist, but I am a surgical resident and may be able to clear some of this up a bit.

-His stroke/TIA may have been completely unrelated to the hole in his heart. A blood clot did not necessarily go from his legs, through his heart, and to his brain. Symptoms can be caused by narrowing of your carotid arteries that may cause a transient decrease in flow to a particular part of the brain. Decreased flow = symptoms.

-The hole in his heart is hardly effecting his cardiac output at all. If it were, he would never have become a professional athlete.

-My opinion: He may well elect to never get the hole repaired, and I don't think he'd be putting himself at significant risk.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Hmm. Thanks for the info.
Isn't he automatically at risk for having more strokes? Just because he's had this one?
And as an athlete isn't he at more risk for blood clots due to the collision nature of the sport? bruises, injuries and so on? (I recall Jagr had a giant clot removed from his leg after a charley horse....)

Just seems to make sense to repair the hole esp as they can now do it with fairly minor surgery.

Again thanks for the info.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hmm. Thanks for the info.
Isn't he automatically at risk for having more strokes? Just because he's had this one?
And as an athlete isn't he at more risk for blood clots due to the collision nature of the sport? bruises, injuries and so on? (I recall Jagr had a giant clot removed from his leg after a charley horse....)

Just seems to make sense to repair the hole esp as they can now do it with fairly minor surgery.

Again thanks for the info.

Blood clots when you get a bruise, yes, but this is a natural thing that occurs in the body and if getting bruises gave you strokes, I'd have had 15 strokes by now.

Also, having a clot in your body, doesn't necessarily make you at risk of a stroke, because the clot can't always travel to the brain. If anything, it makes you more at risk of a HEART ATTACK. Either way, small clots formed by most bruises almost always work themself out naturally, as this is the natural way our body heals when damage our bodies.

I've always thought of it as someone rerouting water so workers can repairs a damaged dam.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
I believe he said he's experienced dizziness often throughout his life, much as he has had migraines frequently.

Reminds me of women on birth control pills which can cause tiny clots resulting in migraines,dizziness, visual disturbance. Have a pal who gets that any time she's on The Pill.....Possibly he's experienced very tiny clots for years due to the hole in his heart.

Which remains un-repaired.

I really thought he'd have the proc to fix it before they let him play again, a la Ted Bruschi, but....guess we'll see.

Agreed but we will likely not be privy to what treatment he had or did not have especially in the modern era of minimally invasive techniques.

Great news for Kris and the Pens. :handclap:

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Well, you get my point. :}

Yepp, I understand :)

Honestly, before the olympic break, I didn't think there was a chance in hell we could be caught in PP.

We were first in both PP and PK before the break if I remember correctly. We have ruined both of those numbers. If we played the way on special teams we are now all season, we'd be in the bottom half of those stats I would guess...

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
this is great news for Letang on a personal level.

this is also pretty good news for the pens:

Adam Gretz ‏@AGretz 6h
The Penguins have had Kris Letang and Paul Martin in the lineup just 96 times the past 3 years. They're 64-25-7 and a 53 percent FenClose.

https://twitter.com/AGretz/status/453907884330741760

is they can repeat that kind of possession success, this team might have a chance at not embarrassing itself.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
this is great news for Letang on a personal level.

this is also pretty good news for the pens:

https://twitter.com/AGretz/status/453907884330741760

is they can repeat that kind of possession success, this team might have a chance at not embarrassing itself.

That would entail DB sitting Orpik, Adams, Glass, and Pyatt in favor of younger,better, players. I just don't see it happening.

Anyway, welcome back Tanger. :yo:

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Although Letang still has some bouts of dizziness – “or, what we call unsteadiness,†Shero said – he might have to get used to that being what Shero described as “the new normal.â€

I'm sure that won't cause any problems.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Good for Letang, I'm happy for the kid. I guess Madden called it.

Madden didn't "call" anything. Like he always does he takes a 50/50 propostion and doctors up the language a little and makes a "bold prediction" at a convenient time.

Guy doesn't know ****. Just a loud mouth looking for attention.

That said, great to see Letang is OK and able to play again.

Sluggermatt15

Mar 30, 2014
Nation's Capital
Good to see Letang back healthy in the lineup. Relieved to see he is able to physical perform and play hockey. Strokes are serious business and I was concerned at some point it might take a turn for the worse - like Crosby's concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad