Kris Letang Back TONIGHT!!!

alexfr

Dec 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
I hope they limit his minutes and let him ease back into action. Detroit is still a team playing for a spot in the playoffs so we dont want him overdoing it in the first game back

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Quote of the day from Shero !
“Hockey did not cause this stroke. Returning to play will not cause a stroke,†Shero said. “Playing tonight versus waiting until October or 10 years from now will not change that. Resting and playing Xbox is not going to make him better. … He’s at no greater risk to suffer a stroke (from playing hockey) than he would be going to the grocery store.â€

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The flow is back, it is definitely nice to see him back after the kind of year he's had with injuries and then the stroke. Best of luck to the guy, I hope he scores a goal or three to have an awesome first game back!

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
How awesome would it be if he has a return like Sid did against the Isle.

Catch a pass of the rush down the lane and roof it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Quote of the day from Shero !
“Hockey did not cause this stroke. Returning to play will not cause a stroke,†Shero said. “Playing tonight versus waiting until October or 10 years from now will not change that. Resting and playing Xbox is not going to make him better. … He’s at no greater risk to suffer a stroke (from playing hockey) than he would be going to the grocery store.â€

I never really thought about it until reading this quote, but it is true Letang was basically laying in bed when he had his stroke. It isn't as if he fainted on the ice ala Peverly.

So if the doctors have told Shero that, it does make sense that playing hockey doesn't put him at further risk.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I never really thought about it until reading this quote, but it is true Letang was basically laying in bed when he had his stroke. It isn't as if he fainted on the ice ala Peverly.

So if the doctors have told Shero that, it does make sense that playing hockey doesn't put him at further risk.

My concern isn't that he'll have another stroke.

My concern is that a guy who is still experiencing dizziness as a result of the damage from the stroke is about to go into playoff action on a team that doesn't really obstruct forecheckers. I'm not worried that he will have another stroke, I'm worried that he's going to get Nystromed twice a game when he's not quite nimble enough to get out of the way just now. That's the risk I see. Hope I'm wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My concern isn't that he'll have another stroke.

My concern is that a guy who is still experiencing dizziness as a result of the damage from the stroke is about to go into playoff action on a team that doesn't really obstruct forecheckers. I'm not worried that he will have another stroke, I'm worried that he's going to get Nystromed twice a game when he's not quite nimble enough to get out of the way just now. That's the risk I see. Hope I'm wrong.

Apparently the dizziness isn't from the stroke though, so I have no clue really.

I've heard three or four media guys say Letang looks as fast and nimble as ever in practice.

The reality is he has always had a tendency to put himself in vulnerable positions anyway, so there is no way to know if he does get leveled.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I believe he said he's experienced dizziness often throughout his life, much as he has had migraines frequently.

Reminds me of women on birth control pills which can cause tiny clots resulting in migraines,dizziness, visual disturbance. Have a pal who gets that any time she's on The Pill.....Possibly he's experienced very tiny clots for years due to the hole in his heart.

Which remains un-repaired.

I really thought he'd have the proc to fix it before they let him play again, a la Ted Bruschi, but....guess we'll see.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Happy for Tanger. Hopefully the stroke issues are behind him for good and he can just focus on getting his game back together.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I fear that as long as the hole remains un repaired, he will continue to have these issues. The poor blood flow due to the hole causes clotting, clots may cause strokes.
Perhaps his staying on aspirin the rest of his life will be all he needs, but I really would not feel comfortable if it were me. I'd go for repair to eliminate the cause.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Well he may yet get the repair....it's something i'd expect as soon as the season is over. We have to trust the doctors. I'm sure they've ran 1000 tests and multiple people have been consulted. If Kris feels he is able to play, it really is up to him.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

I miss him moving the puck up the ice. I really hope they don't force him on the PP again though. We already have the top ranked PP without him.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Well he may yet get the repair....it's something i'd expect as soon as the season is over. We have to trust the doctors. I'm sure they've ran 1000 tests and multiple people have been consulted. If Kris feels he is able to play, it really is up to him.

Yeah, I've never understood second guessing the doctors and medical professionals in and around the organization that occurs in sports sometimes. If they say he's good, and Letang says he's fine, this is perfect that he can get some action in before the playoffs.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I fear that as long as the hole remains un repaired, he will continue to have these issues. The poor blood flow due to the hole causes clotting, clots may cause strokes.
Perhaps his staying on aspirin the rest of his life will be all he needs, but I really would not feel comfortable if it were me. I'd go for repair to eliminate the cause.
I'm not sure if it's a RULE or not, but I'm guessing it's a big no-no to play games when you are on blood thinners. Aspirin isn't a prescribed blood thinner, but it's an anti-coagulant nonetheless and I'm not sure that they are allow to play if they are on them....

As for the hole in his heart, there isn't much research to suggest that it's a MAJOR issue. His stroke has been so-far deemed unrelated. About 20% of people have a small hole in their heart and 99% of those people have no symptoms.

I'm wondering if he has any other issues we haven't heard about like Atrial Fibrillation, which can cause blood clotting in the heart, and during intense exercise --- which we all know is something Letang does ALOT --- those clots can come loose and travel to the brain, causing a stroke.

There are too many factors to be honest. My father is the doctor in the family, not me, so I'm just spitballing with stuff I've picked up over the years, but since Kris has wanted to be open and honest about this condition to raise awareness, then I can only presume we've heard pretty much everything the doctor's know, and right now, they aren't linking it to his heart condition.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I miss him moving the puck up the ice. I really hope they don't force him on the PP again though. We already have the top ranked PP without him.

We aren't first on the PP anymore, Washington is. If we score above 25% tonight, we will be back in 1st, though. We are only 0.1% behind the Caps.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Even if he's dizzy and half conscious he'll probably still be better at moving the puck and driving our offense forward than Scuderi, Orpik, Bortuzzo, and Engelland.

Yes he's going to make the odd Pejorative Slured play with the puck and yes he's powerplay poison, but for 5 on 5 he's one of the very best in the league and our entire offense has suffered without him. He might be more important to this team than Malkin right now given how bad our defense is at moving the puck outside of Maatta and Martin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad