"Kretchy"´s Breakout Year

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We had 2 top 5 centers before him in Savard and Thornton and it never was enough for some fans.

There's a distinct difference between what Savard and Thornton were/are and what DK is. Again, he's a good player, but he's just not an elite one, and I don't think he's going to become this magical PPG player that some here do. He's good. That's good enough for me too. He doesn't have to be the guy who leads the league in assists. He's fine being what he is. He lead the playoffs in scoring during the cup run, and that should show everyone what he is. He's capable of being a great player for short periods of time, but over the long haul, he's good but not great. No knock on the guy. Just reality.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
He says the regular season bores him so hopefully this short regular season will help him.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Which is why he's never going to be an elite player, IMO. Consistency takes effort. If you're bored, that effort won't be there every night.

Yep. Krejci apologists won't like this but he reminds me of Alexei Kovalev. Tons of talent but highly inconsistent and the effort isn't always there.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
I'm not the biggest Krejci fan but there's nothing to gain from harping on his perceived shortcomings at this point before the season has even started. He's gonna be here and fill an important spot on the roster. Let the games happen, hope he has a great season, hope he shows continued improvement. Best case for all Bruins fan is that he, like all their young players, continues to show progress and make personnel decisions hard in coming seasons. I have no reason to pass summary judgment on him or hope to be proved right somehow for not thinking he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hope he has a great year, hope he helps the team a lot, hope I cheer for him as much as any of my favorites. He has the tools, put them to good use.

Kaoz*

For those that think he is what you get or that want to trade him - I think he is a very similar player to H. Sedin at the same age and point in their respective careers. I doubt Krejci hits the same heights but I would not at all be surprised, actually expect, that he will be at least a PPG player for the next 4-5 years.

Unfair comparison for Krejci, setting unrealistic expectations.

Sedin broke out the minute the Canucks started using him as a #1 center instead of Morrison. He had 75+ point seasons ever since. Krejci has had the opportunity to be the Bruins #1 center, the key offensive catalyst 3 seasons now.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
If any center is going to have a real breakout year (offensively) it is going to be Bergeron. He will be playing with better linemates than Savard ever had in Boston.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Unfair comparison for Krejci, setting unrealistic expectations.

Sedin broke out the minute the Canucks started using him as a #1 center instead of Morrison. He had 75+ point seasons ever since. Krejci has had the opportunity to be the Bruins #1 center, the key offensive catalyst 3 seasons now.

I disagree. I don't think him being a PPG player for the next 4-5 years is at all unrealistic. I'll be surprised if he isn't

H Sedin was 26 years old and for their first two seasons as the Canucks #1 line both of them still looked like 2nd line players. Their huge breakout year wasn't until they were 28 or 29 - as they became stars about 3 seconds after they signed their last contract when H. Sedin went from 82 pts. to 112 pts. - and a lot of those points have come on the power play, which is where I'm hoping and expecting Krejci to start producing more.

People talk about d-men and power forwards developing later but it sure seems to me that the majority of top-flight playmakers don't start hitting their stride until they're about 26 or 27.

Afam*

I don't think so. Furthermore Kretch shouldn't be on the Powerplay. He is too slow and not the fastest skater. The players on the powerplay should be Seguin, Bergy,Dougie,Chara, Marchand, paille etc.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Drat - I miss Morrisson. That's what this bloody team is missing out here. He was no Stan 'The Demi-God Steamer' Smyl but outside of O'Reilly, Axe, Markwart, and 'Lucky' Luc (all-time favourites - Inner monologue: now I'm listing off all my favourite players in my head ) few do compare. I liked watching Jovo and the West Coast Express. So much better than this latest version of 'let's get a bunch of whiners and divers so we can draw phantom penalties because our twin Swedes are fantastic on the power play' the Canucks.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I don't think so. Furthermore Kretch shouldn't be on the Powerplay. He is too slow and not the fastest skater. The players on the powerplay should be Seguin, Bergy,Dougie,Chara, Marchand, paille etc.

M.Savard, J. Thornton, J. Allisson and A. Oates disagree.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Can we fix the thread title please?

Looks like Krejci may go back to the PK where he is quite effective. We shall see.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

You want old stone hands one the PP? We can't be that desperate yet... Right?

The PP is about puck possession and puck movement. Not so much foot speed. We have several shooters and bangers and not enough quick puck movers.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
And those are guys who produced at high levels on the PP. Krejci does not.

I think the point that they were trying to make was that those players did not have elite speed and were still produced on the PP, and I happen to agree with that point.

Speed should really have very little to do with whether or not you can be successful on the power play, unless you are talking about creating offense on the rush. Once you are set-up in the zone, speed is a near non-factor. It is really about making good, quick decisions with the puck, and being able to open up passing lanes/ and or shooting lanes with your puck movement. Krejci has the necessary tools to be an impact player on the power play, so I'm not sure why it hasn't translated to this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad