Proposal: Krebs to Calgary

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Curious what it would take to get Krebs to Calgary? Would something like Mangiapane straight up be of interest to Buffalo in the offseason?
Rasmus Andersson 😂

Seriously though - it would take him being part of a bigger trade for something like that

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Rasmus Andersson 😂

Seriously though - it would take him being part of a bigger trade for something like that
I'd entertain moving Ras. It would require a young D coming back though and some other pieces. Someone who can play a top 4 ish role. I was more thinking something smaller though. Just acquiring Krebs and not much else.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd entertain moving Ras. It would require a young D coming back though and some other pieces. Someone who can play a top 4 ish role. I was more thinking something smaller though. Just acquiring Krebs and not much else.

Buffalo isn't re-re-re-rebuilding/selling off young players from its roster, especially not from a position we have poor organizational depth at (C). Krebs isn't untouchable by any means, but, if he moves, it's in a hockey trade that actually does something to improve the Sabres today. Given our wealth of young wingers and LD + the emergence of Luukkonen in net, that means either a top 4 RD or an upgrade at C (or maybe just a more defensive C).

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Krebs is looking better, no real reason to move him unless it's in a ridiculous package for Andersson.

Savoie, Krebs, 1st

Reactions: Jacob582

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Curious what it would take to get Krebs to Calgary? Would something like Mangiapane straight up be of interest to Buffalo in the offseason?
Not trading him for a high cost rental like him. I'd rather trade him for picks/ prosprcts.

Needs are RD and bottom 6 winger with size.

Feel like they’re going to keep Krebs around until they have some certainty on Mittlestadt
My Feeling.....

Mitts signing or trade is s big gactor.

They have 2 of thompson. Mittlestadt, Cozens at C.

Ostlund comed to NA in 24/25. Him and possible first round C picked would thrn fill C role.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Buffalo isn't re-re-re-rebuilding/selling off young players from its roster, especially not from a position we have poor organizational depth at (C). Krebs isn't untouchable by any means, but, if he moves, it's in a hockey trade that actually does something to improve the Sabres today. Given our wealth of young wingers and LD + the emergence of Luukkonen in net, that means either a top 4 RD or an upgrade at C (or maybe just a more defensive C).
Would Sabres have any interest in Justin Faulk? I think we would have interest in Krebs, particularly after he and Neighbours had nice chemistry on Team Canada under Army's watchful eye.

Faulk is still quality top 4 guy, albeit more offensively inclined to be a good fit next to the dimunitive Torey Krug. Signed for 3 years after this at $6.5mm, but likely available because we are bad and not going to be good for a while. Might be interesting partner for Power?

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Would Sabres have any interest in Justin Faulk? I think we would have interest in Krebs, particularly after he and Neighbours had nice chemistry on Team Canada under Army's watchful eye.

Faulk is still quality top 4 guy, albeit more offensively inclined to be a good fit next to the dimunitive Torey Krug. Signed for 3 years after this at $6.5mm, but likely available because we are bad and not going to be good for a while. Might be interesting partner for Power?
I would lean towards no as that 6.5 for 3 more years will become an issue. We would be looking for more of a shutdown guy to pair with Power and it seems like Faulk would need a defensive dman as well

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

No interest. Contract is a lot, and he’s entirely the wrong style of player for Buffalo’s top 4. Power needs a steady defensive partner.

Reactions: Blueston

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Krebs is looking better, no real reason to move him unless it's in a ridiculous package for Andersson.

Savoie, Krebs, 1st
I think that's a reasonable basis for assets. I'd need a roster D back though who could slot in a 4 hole as well. How much do you guys value Samuelsson? Assuming Jokiharju is valued higher? It would need to be one of those guys I'd say.

That doesn't even make me flinch.

Don't think that is enough.
It's pretty much what I'd want minus one of the two guys I mentioned above. I'd prefer Ostlund to Savoie if they are in the same bucket to you guys though.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think that's a reasonable basis for assets. I'd need a roster D back though who could slot in a 4 hole as well. How much do you guys value Samuelsson? Assuming Jokiharju is valued higher? It would need to be one of those guys I'd say.

It's pretty much what I'd want minus one of the two guys I mentioned above. I'd prefer Ostlund to Savoie if they are in the same bucket to you guys though.
I'd add Jokiharju. I still think we might need to add a 3rd on top of that. Andersson has an amazing deal and rhd of his caliber is rare.

Edit: Regarding Östlund I'd be ok with it if we push the 1st rounder to next years draft. I'm not sure his value is higher in a vacuum but he'll be really, really useful and trading him leaves us with a donut pipeline - nothing in the middle. It makes the trade hurt more for sure.

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Interesting proposal, and I do like what Faulk brings, but I don't think Buffalo can bring in another high cap hit defender without one going out. Even if they moved RFA Jokiharju out, Faulk's deal would take Buffalo's blueline above 35M.

I just don't think spending 35M on your D core is a recipe for success, especially not when you also have 4 forwards making close to 30M combined.

Reactions: Blueston

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd add Jokiharju. I still think we might need to add a 3rd on top of that. Andersson has an amazing deal and rhd of his caliber is rare.

Edit: Regarding Östlund I'd be ok with it if we push the 1st rounder to next years draft. I'm not sure his value is higher in a vacuum but he'll be really, really useful and trading him leaves us with a donut pipeline - nothing in the middle. It makes the trade hurt more for sure.
I just don't really see Savoie as a center in the NHL. I know he's listed there, but I watch a lot of WHL hockey. I always thought he'd play wing as a pro. Ostlund I think has less talent for sure, but projects as a C. That's why I'd have more interest in him. I'd do the deal with either player though.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wish we had your poor organizational depth at C. Our center depth is Kadri, Backlund......... Rooney?

I like Krebs but I would rather just acquire another 1st next year for Mange. Calgary really isn't that desperate for a 3rd/4th line center as long as Backlund is around
Backlund is our 2C. Our center depth is non-existent next season. I don't think we are getting a 1st for Mangiapane. I'd love it if we could, I'm just doubtful. He's a fantastic defensive winger, but his offense is pretty run of the mill 3rd line level.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I like the player, but don't really see how its a fit for Calgary. Seems like Calgary already has Zary, Pelletier, Coronato, Pospisil, and Duehr as young depth guys with jam. What Calgary really needs is more higher prospects with guaranteed top 6 potential.

Ledge And Dairy

I wish we had your poor organizational depth at C. Our center depth is Kadri, Backlund......... Rooney?

Backlund is our 2C. Our center depth is non-existent next season. I don't think we are getting a 1st for Mangiapane. I'd love it if we could, I'm just doubtful. He's a fantastic defensive winger, but his offense is pretty run of the mill 3rd line level.
Our center depth right now in whatever order you see fit is Kadri - Backlund - Sharangovich. Yegor is not a natural center but he is more than serviceable. Krebs is not an upgrade over any of them.

As for Mangiapane, he is exactly the type of player teams love to add to their rosters. He gives 110% effort every night and has a strong 2-way game. He is also tied for 66th in EV points by forwards this year. Being able to score at EV has value, If the Flames powerplay wasn't abysmal this year he would probably have 40-50 points already. But hey Kadri and Huberdeau lead our team with 10 powerplay points.

Mange is not returning a 1st at $6M+
Well it's a good thing he makes less than 6M and can be retained

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Our center depth right now in whatever order you see fit is Kadri - Backlund - Sharangovich. Yegor is not a natural center but he is more than serviceable. Krebs is not an upgrade over any of them.

As for Mangiapane, he is exactly the type of player teams love to add to their rosters. He gives 110% effort every night and has a strong 2-way game. He is also tied for 66th in EV points by forwards this year. Being able to score at EV has value, If the Flames powerplay wasn't abysmal this year he would probably have 40-50 points already. But hey Kadri and Huberdeau lead our team with 10 powerplay points.

Well it's a good thing he makes less than 6M and can be retained
I don't think Sharangovich is a serviceable C. We're pretty much starting that line 100% in the Ozone exactly because of that. I don't think Sharangovich is a better C than Krebs. He's a better player, but his value is at W not at C. He's scored 1 goal since he moved to C and is 37% in the faceoff circle.

8 goal pace for Sharangovich as a C, 35 goal pace as a winger. I'd say the results are pretty clear which one he should be playing.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad