Confirmed with Link: Kraken sign Pierre-Edouard Bellemare: 1 x 775K

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Backfilling the departed bottom-6 guys. Whatever as long as he doesn't block the emerging kids.

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
4th line veteran, knows how to play the game the right way. He might get a spot ahead of Kartye Yamamoto or Wright but I'm not too worried. He brings experience and will definitely help with faceoffs and PKs. Depth was our strength last season and it looks like it will be again this season.

The only risk with this signing is that young players won't develop behind Bellemare.

Reactions: Renopucker

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I guess this is the 4C? Pickings were slim, but I guess I had hoped GMRF was aiming a little higher? 52% on F/O's last season, taking around 600 or so. I dunno, kinda underwhelming imo.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
4th line depth and has a 53% FO win % since 2017, so face-offs are covered. I will also add that Bellemare is a pest / agitating type who is good at the PK. Plus, it saves the team from having to rush Wright and / or have him sit on the bench while fighting for 4th line mins.

As this is a one-year deal, they can walk away from Bellemare if he does not provide anything. Or, if Wright develops quicker than expected this season, Bellemare can sit in the press box

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
He seems like a solid dude to have in the locker room, he certainly doesnt miss many (any?) games due to injury thus far...but yeah, 38.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Great guy to learn from. Look at the teams he's played for.

Dude's 38, if the kids emerge he could probably use some games off in the press box.

I was expecting a veteran forward who can take faceoffs and PK, but maybe not quite this veteran.

Yeah at 38, I'd say if the kids aren't good enough to take some games from Bellemare then they're not good enough for the league.

One little concern is that Bellemare and Yamamoto aren't the most physically robust guys, not a lot of size, and there's a lot of injury risk. I want to get a bull on the 4th line, someone in the mold of Garnett Hathaway. I still want more depth.

Reactions: AarG

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kind of in the "can't hurt, might help a little" category. Minimum risk and commitment, so why not?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Dude's 38, if the kids emerge he could probably use some games off in the press box.

I was expecting a veteran forward who can take faceoffs and PK, but maybe not quite this veteran.

Heh agreed, well put.

Maybe the team likes the idea of keeping him around in some capacity after he retires, also.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Bellemare really? I was expecting a Waiver claim of sum sort either now or near October. Regardless it doesn't count much towards the Cap

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I like it. We lacked a physical presence amongst our forwards and he gives us that. Adding a little sandpaper isn't a bad thing so long as the offense continues to produce.

Reactions: Renopucker

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
So with Bellemare he's there to teach Wright the finer aspects of face-offs and Defense?And Kartye and Wright will be the extras?I'm wishing for Wright to be able to play in AHL instead of Seattle if he's not ready and not back to Juniors!Anyone know anything about the meeting GMFrancis and top brass of the CHL and OHL?Its "ass"inine that a player has to return...shouldn't the best interest of the player count for something?

I like it. We lacked a physical presence amongst our forwards and he gives us that. Adding a little sandpaper isn't a bad thing so long as the offense continues to produce.
Don't think Bellemare is here for his Offense cause he's never hit double digits in goals in any season his whole NHL career

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Not crazy about this. Depth signing at best. 4th line PK guy but definitely a downgrade on last year's4th line. I guess they will go with more of a checking line this year which makes some sense in terms of team structure, but I think they could have done better than this.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not crazy about this. Depth signing at best. 4th line PK guy but definitely a downgrade on last year's4th line. I guess they will go with more of a checking line this year which makes some sense in terms of team structure, but I think they could have done better than this.
100% agree that this is what management/coaching wants. More of a checking line. As far as production goes, I think they may surprise us a bit. Tanev-PEB-Yamamoto/Kartye is a more abrasive line and what Francis is betting on, or rather hoping for, is PEB and Yamamoto bounce back and thrive playing on a team with depth.

My guess is that he is hoping Kartye, Lind and maybe a dark horse from camp (Melanson?), do enough to replace PEB (waivers). If Yamamoto can stay healthy this season, I do think he is good for 25+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad