Kraken protection list

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think maybe we acquire a D at the deadline who is non-exempt and protect them.

Hayton does not need to be protected, so to me, it is between Fischer, Larsson, and Pitlick. Which is probably the order that BA would have it in today. In seven days, it will probably be Pitlick, Larsson, Fischer.

Then Larsson, Pitlick, Fischer.
Then Fischer, Pitlick, Larsson.
Then Pitlick, Fischer, Larsson.
Then Larsson, Fischer, Pitlick.

Lather, rinse, repeat...
The good news is that losing 1 of those 3 is only slightly more painful than losing Pulkkinen...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The good news is that losing 1 of those 3 is only slightly more painful than losing Pulkkinen...

Agreed. I do also think that is something that flies under the radar with Chayka's planning on this front. Losing Pulkkinen is nothing. We also still have the opportunity to add a D to our roster with term and can protect that player, if needed.

Truth be told, the ideal situation would be getting Kessel to waive his NMC/NTC. While I doubt Seattle would have issues on a cap compliancy front, grab Kessel for one year, or offer him up in a deal to get the Kraken to take one of our worse forwards. Then, Seattle has some cap room to play with in FA the season after, when Kessel's deal is up. In my eyes, one of the more difficult things for an expansion team is to hit the FA market hard and wind up getting poor returns on longer term deals. I don't recall Vegas going after many FAs, although I suppose that also had to do with the quality of roster that was gotten via expansion draft.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Can't we make a deal like you send us dumba for protection before the draft. you get a 7th round pick. And we reverse the trade afterwards for the 7th round pick and a third round pick.
That way everybody wins.
I think the league specifically indicated it was going to watch out for those sorts of deals at the last expansion. They ultimately make the final decisions on whether deals are acceptable and if you're not playing by their rules, they're just not going to allow it. In a case like that, they'd likely reject the returning of Dumba. Also, why would we would not just say we think we'll protect Dumba a little longer; he's worth way more than a third round pick, and I doubt there'd be ill-will around the league for Armstrong ripping Guerin off in a trade. It's more likely they'd just assume Guerin was an idiot and screwed himself over.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Garland is an RFA at the end of the year, does he need to be protected or is he the same as the UFAs if he isn't extended until after the expansion draft?

Pretty much anyone off their initial 3 year ELC will need to be protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad