Speculation: Kraken in to Seattle’s Business

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Protected player lists are due in 5 days (July 17)

Detroit has nothing to worry about.
No scrambling to trade an obvious talent about to be claimed for nothing.
No desperately offering 1st round picks to Seattle to take player X and not take player Y.

However that puts us in a unique position to focus in on teams that are scrambling. Teams that will lose a serious talent for nothing.

Our enormous amount of cap space and roster flexibility actually puts us in a similar position to Seattle. Combine that with our insane amount of current draft capital…. And I would say we are the prime candidates to swoop in and steal a player via trade pre draft. Or jump in on deals where teams are trying to dump monster cap hit players and paying high picks and top prospects in exchange.

Some interesting situations to watch.
Minnesota;
-If they only protect 3 D. Dumba will be available.
-If they protect 4 D. Greenaway will be available.
St. Louis;
-Looks like Dunn will be unprotected.
Tampa Bay;
-Cernak If they go 3 D
-Gourde, Palat and Killorn if they go 4D.
Boston;
Set to lose a good player, but not much incentive to trade.

For cap dumps; rumours of Tyler Johnson, Voracek and Okposo being offered up for various amount of incentives. All contract we could easily absorb if Seattle declines and the price was right. ( No chance Johnson goes to Seattle anymore, despite the ‘hometown boy’rumours)

Any other teams/situations Detroit may be able to take advantage of in next 5 days?

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I fully expect cap space weaponization to be at max level for the forseeable 1-2yrs., (finally). Not saying we'll go Full Cap, just expecting a Gourde caliber player & contract w/incentive, maybe 2. Hopefully most/all are under age ~25, preferably under ~22/23. (yes I know Gourde's practically a NHL "boomer" ~30)

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
To follow this up; did a more in depth look at who I think will be exposed.

Came away with 7 guys who I think we should be making calls on.

Julian Gauthier - RFA
Brady Skjei - 3 yeas @ 5.3
Sam Steel - RFA
Josh Mahura - RFA
Logan Stanley - RFA
Vitek Vanecek - 1 year @ .76 then RFA
Vince Dunn - RFA
Gustav Forsling -RFA (Not as much as the rest/I’d offer far less)

All young talent with no term and controllable years (with the exception of Skjei’s term)

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Protected player lists are due in 5 days (July 17)

Detroit has nothing to worry about.
No scrambling to trade an obvious talent about to be claimed for nothing.
No desperately offering 1st round picks to Seattle to take player X and not take player Y.

However that puts us in a unique position to focus in on teams that are scrambling. Teams that will lose a serious talent for nothing.

Our enormous amount of cap space and roster flexibility actually puts us in a similar position to Seattle. Combine that with our insane amount of current draft capital…. And I would say we are the prime candidates to swoop in and steal a player via trade pre draft. Or jump in on deals where teams are trying to dump monster cap hit players and paying high picks and top prospects in exchange.

Some interesting situations to watch.
Minnesota;
-If they only protect 3 D. Dumba will be available.
-If they protect 4 D. Greenaway will be available.
St. Louis;
-Looks like Dunn will be unprotected.
Tampa Bay;
-Cernak If they go 3 D
-Gourde, Palat and Killorn if they go 4D.
Boston;
Set to lose a good player, but not much incentive to trade.

For cap dumps; rumours of Tyler Johnson, Voracek and Okposo being offered up for various amount of incentives. All contract we could easily absorb if Seattle declines and the price was right. ( No chance Johnson goes to Seattle anymore, despite the ‘hometown boy’rumours)

Any other teams/situations Detroit may be able to take advantage of in next 5 days?
Minnesota bought out Suter so they can protect Dumba.

Tampa Bay goes 4D and hopes Seattle takes a forward. It gets them out of the cap crunch assuming Hedman goes on LTIR. They no longer need to pay big to get rid of Johnson. They could waive him again in the hopes that Seattle claims him. Sucks to lose a talent but they've got to shed salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad