Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Why not, indeed? He's developed into a very good player and he is in his prime.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Do the Kraken have the weakest centers in the NHL? I mean, high potential sure, but we're talking about today. Beniers, Wright (assumedly), Gourde and Kartye? Woah. I mean... I can't expect us to be good for at least 3 more years with those 4 at center. 3 of them aren't there yet and the other guy... well, not young.

Well, I'd rather go through some pain and play the younger guys.
Even if it means we won't be great next year it should help us longterm.

For the rest of you... Why not Sam Reinhart? We could definitely use a guy who can get 80-95 points. Or is there something I don't know?

Because Sam Reihhart is basically last years Seattle Kraken in a single player form.

He's got an insane shooting percentage of 24.5 % which is nearly ten percent above his career average.

Great for him(cause he's going to get paid) but anyone expecting him to be a 80 - 95 pt. guy and anywhere close to this season will be dissapointed.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, I'd rather go through some pain and play the younger guys.
Even if it means we won't be great next year it should help us longterm.

Because Sam Reihhart is basically last years Seattle Kraken in a single player form.

He's got an insane shooting percentage of 24.5 % which is nearly ten percent above his career average.

Great for him(cause he's going to get paid) but anyone expecting him to be a 80 - 95 pt. guy and anywhere close to this season will be dissapointed.

Valid for sure, that's a hell of a shooting percentage.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah. I was playing around with capfriendly, though I my estimates for salaries may be way off.

I gave Beniers 6.5M, Tolvy 4.5M, Guentzel 9M.
Traded Gourde with 1.66M retention (makes it 4M AAV).

I would not be shocked if both Beniers and Guentzel's numbers are higher though. Also, keep in mind, the cap is supposed to go up to 87M+ next season. One my problems with the roster is that we have Tolvy on the 4th line. It's overkill.

View attachment 858796

I don't think Beniers has earned more than that, probably less. Do we see his numbers exploding and him earning a lot more in the future? I'm not sure if there's that much "upside risk" with him, so there's not as much need to lock him in on a big money contract. If he stabilizes as a 60-70 pt solid center then we won't have to pay him much more than $6.5m long term. A million or two more maybe.

Having a good player on the 4th line is not overkill, that is not a problem with the roster. That's what you should aim for. Although personally I'd swap him and Schwartz, I think the best is still to come from Tolvanen and Schwartz is winding down and would do better in limited minutes.

If you have Reinhart shooting at his career average (around 15%), he'd still be scoring almost 40 goals this year.

I've been iffy on him because it's hard to tell how effective he'd be outside of Florida and Barkov. Reinhart is smart and effective when he can get there but isn't a quick player that can do it all.

One thing that comes to mind is that Beniers can do a lot of two-way heavy lifting, and can get the puck up ice. That seems like a good complement to Reinhart.

Reactions: kihei

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think Beniers has earned more than that, probably less. Do we see his numbers exploding and him earning a lot more in the future? I'm not sure if there's that much "upside risk" with him, so there's not as much need to lock him in on a big money contract. If he stabilizes as a 60-70 pt solid center then we won't have to pay him much more than $6.5m long term. A million or two more maybe.
I agree. Give Beniers an option for a 8 year 6.5M contract. Or try to bridge him till his last RFA year if he wants more.

Having a good player on the 4th line is not overkill, that is not a problem with the roster. That's what you should aim for. Although personally I'd swap him and Schwartz, I think the best is still to come from Tolvanen and Schwartz is winding down and would do better in limited minutes.

No issue with this either. And with how often Schwartz get injured, the problem may just fix itself, unfortunately.
If you have Reinhart shooting at his career average (around 15%), he'd still be scoring almost 40 goals this year.

I've been iffy on him because it's hard to tell how effective he'd be outside of Florida and Barkov. Reinhart is smart and effective when he can get there but isn't a quick player that can do it all.

One thing that comes to mind is that Beniers can do a lot of two-way heavy lifting, and can get the puck up ice. That seems like a good complement to Reinhart.
This is exactly why I am skeptical when players start producing when playing with high end 1Cs. His best seasons have been the last 3 playing on a loaded Panthers team and with Barkov has his center. I am not sure his production translates on the Kraken.

Reactions: majormajor

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I'm just really careful on guys going nuts like Reinhart with a shooting percentage like that.

Also, like you've said, he's currently playing for the Panthers who seem to have found a formula to have guys score like crazy.

Just think about Wennberg who had 19 goals in 50-ish games for the Panthers before joining the Kraken.
And as we all know, Wennberg doesn't actually shoot the puck. :joker:

BTW: Here's the full presser from Ron Francis on tape.
Got it from Komo TV cause the Kraken are somehow not uploading anything on it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
1714007668147.png

off-season buoy content.

• Haha
Reactions: Irie

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I think the window for getting a 1st for Gourde, even a late one, closed at the trade deadline. But that package should indeed attract a decent return. Francis' comments also smack of leveraging the future to be more competitive now, and that always seems a devil's bargain to me. Maybe Francis isn't that high on the forward prospects in the system, but he drafted them so the responsibility is his. If this is the plan, though, colour me apprehensive; I don't like the idea of trading potential high first round draft choices at all,
Don't like the idea of trading draft choices either so I'm in total agreement with you

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
For the rest of you... Why not Sam Reinhart? We could definitely use a guy who can get 80-95 points. Or is there something I don't know?
Love the idea of getting Reinhart but at what cost...9,10,11 Million per for a 57 goal scorer...The Kraken have always been built on fair contracts without a crazy one...though Dunn's deal was large in comparison to all others...maybe Grubauer's contract gets dealt away to open up some space and with say Gourde's and Tanev's the Kraken could have breathing room to get a top quality scorer like Reinhart

Reactions: kihei and Kevinsane

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Love the idea of getting Reinhart but at what cost...9,10,11 Million per for a 57 goal scorer...The Kraken have always been built on fair contracts without a crazy one...though Dunn's deal was large in comparison to all others...maybe Grubauer's contract gets dealt away to open up some space and with say Gourde's and Tanev's the Kraken could have breathing room to get a top quality scorer like Reinhart
I can see both Tanev and Gourde as being moved but I can't see us being able to move Gru any time soon.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I just saw how many goals Geekie and Sprong scored for their respective teams. Daaamn. Not saying they would have done it here but that would have made them 3rd/4th top scores in the Kraken.
Pretty sure neither player wanted to come back to play for Hakstol. He has burned a lot of the teams bridges with the depth players here with mismanagement and poor communication. He's been exactly as advertised by Flyers fans in his efforts to limit opportunities for players that deserve more, and playing favorites with players that deserve less.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Reinhart was always a decent center option in Buffalo, and he played some of his best hockey torward the end playing pivot, but multiple coaching staffs kept him at wing, which I never understood.

He is going to be overpaid. Great player, and I am a big fan of Sams, but I am not sure I want anything to do with whatever AAV his next deal comes with.

I think a slightly lower tier guy like Marchessault may be more realistic. Smaller player that is cheaper, but who can play with pace, create space, and play any forward position.... just feels more like a Francis move - a "lesser big splash 'Francis special'"

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Pretty sure neither player wanted to come back to play for Hakstol. He has burned a lot of the teams bridges with the depth players here with mismanagement and poor communication. He's been exactly as advertised by Flyers fans in his efforts to limit opportunities for players that deserve more, and playing favorites with players that deserve less.
Clearly Hakstol was the issue in Philly what with all their tremendous success post-Hakstol. I mean, Philly fans are notorious for their level-headed takes on their teams.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Clearly Hakstol was the issue in Philly what with all their tremendous success post-Hakstol. I mean, Philly fans are notorious for their level-headed takes on their teams.
I'd say the 106 point pace under vigneault after firing Hakstol was pretty good, especially given that roster's make up.

If you don't believe Flyers fans, we saw it here too. Hakstol's favorites would get extra ice time despite piss poor efforts often, and kids that should have been groomed for roles were healthy scratched and said in interviews they had zero clue what the coaching staff wanted from them.

Poor communication. Bad lineup decisions. Blatant favoritism. When younger guys play well for a few games and are then benched for multiple games after one bad shift, meanwhile some vets are given premium ice time despite giving half-assed efforts, there is a problem.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I can’t see, nor would I welcome, the Kraken offering anyone who’s UFA the inflated AAV or term that July 1st commands. It just seems antithetical to the kind of approach Ron Francis has always taken.
I’d rather see a coaching change and a development year that reveals more clearly what this team needs.
“Wants” are great, but only if the needs are already in place and the addition elevates the system being played.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I can’t see, nor would I welcome, the Kraken offering anyone who’s UFA the inflated AAV or term that July 1st commands. It just seems antithetical to the kind of approach Ron Francis has always taken.
I’d rather see a coaching change and a development year that reveals more clearly what this team needs.
“Wants” are great, but only if the needs are already in place and the addition elevates the system being played.
I think Francis tends to avoid the top tier crazy UFA market, but probably overdoes it in the middling over-priced UFA market.

Burakovsky, Schwarts, Oleksiak, Grubauer.... I think even Dumoulin was a big overpay in value terms. I agree with you in that a play for a top tier UFA like Reinhart is out of character for Francis, but a short term over-pay deal for a stop-gap vet seems right up his alley.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think Francis tends to avoid the top tier crazy UFA market, but probably overdoes it in the middling over-priced UFA market.

Burakovsky, Schwarts, Oleksiak, Grubauer.... I think even Dumoulin was a big overpay in value terms. I agree with you in that a play for a top tier UFA like Reinhart is out of character for Francis, but a short term over-pay deal for a stop-gap vet seems right up his alley.

I think Francis would rather build slowly but ownership seems to have no interest in that and wants him to win now.

Looking at this years free agent class it clearly shows you why going for UFA's is a bad move cause that list looks bad and might have even less of the "top guys" available if some of them still re-sign.

Also, I've looked on capfriendly if there was a top tier player that could potentially be available.
I haven't found anything that could make sense unless Brady Tkatchuk or Clayton Keller really want out from their respective teams.

So I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with another year of Francis signing and/or trading for some 2nd line(middle six guys to try and force a couple more wins next season.

Reactions: redbrick98 and Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think Francis would rather build slowly but ownership seems to have no interest in that and wants him to win now.

Looking at this years free agent class it clearly shows you why going for UFA's is a bad move cause that list looks bad and might have even less of the "top guys" available if some of them still re-sign.

Also, I've looked on capfriendly if there was a top tier player that could potentially be available.
I haven't found anything that could make sense unless Brady Tkatchuk or Clayton Keller really want out from their respective teams.

So I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with another year of Francis signing and/or trading for some 2nd line(middle six guys to try and force a couple more wins next season.
Agree with this completely. And when I said Francis tends to overdo it in the middling overpriced ufa market, i did not mean that as strictly a negative. It can be a useful way to acquire talent to insulate the prospects, even if the contract prices are a bit of a premium.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think we can take a guess at what this team needs after another year. We're going to need high end players at every position, same need as this year.

As long as the term is kept short, I might be fine with going for a couple mid-price guys.

In the next few years, Guentzel + cheap UFA is better than two mid price guys, but Guentzel, Reinhart, etc... are all going to get very long deals with a ton of risk.

Then again it seems that badly overpaid vets end up on LTIR more often than not, with no consequence for the team.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Thoughts on bringing Mitch Marner in? Seems like he would fit our timeline. It also seems like it would be hard if i were the Leafs to run it back again if they get booted again in the first round.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thoughts on bringing Mitch Marner in? Seems like he would fit our timeline. It also seems like it would be hard if i were the Leafs to run it back again if they get booted again in the first round.

I'd be all in favor of adding Marner if they were just unloading him. Great regular season player, which we could use.

He's going to get paid like $11m x 8 on his next deal (presumably signed as part of the trade), and that's reasonable for him, but I hate the idea of paying huge trade assets on top of that.

I don't think the Kraken have such an overabundance of assets that we can easily pull it off. The Leafs will want good players back that can help them in the playoffs immediately. So like Bjorkstrand and Larsson? It feels like we don't have much to spare.

Reactions: Irie and Sad People

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad