Boston Globe KPD: Has Rick Nash played his last game as a Bruin?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn:

A little more drama to chew on

Has Rick Nash played his last game as a Bruin? - The Boston Globe

WINNIPEG, Manitoba — Rick Nash — remember him? — was considered the prize catch of the NHL’s February trade deadline. Not considered among the favorites to deal for him as the Feb. 26 buzzer drew near, the Bruins were thrilled to acquire the veteran winger from the Rangers, ecstatic about adding him for what they hope will be a deep playoff run.

Now the question lingers: Will the 6-foot-4-inch right winger be seen again in the Black-and-Gold batting order anytime soon, or at all, with but eight games remaining in the regular season?

It’s beginning to sound doubtful.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think we’ve all had this thought cross our minds, but didn’t want to admit it.

Always the risk you run when making a trade.

This has been a great season, but it feels a bit like the wheels are falling off despite them still accumulating some points. Still holding out hope that they can get relatively healthy.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
When the Bruins want something leaked they tend to use KPD who is in Winnipeg, Conroy from the Herald is out there as well.

This smells like a concussion-related issue.
Paquette came about half way across the ice and kind of launched into his head in the 3rd period.

Makes sense that they would put it out there now with Johansson and the media ripping Marchand, meanwhile their guy is out and no one says a word.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He was playing extremely well. He must be frustrated. The hit he took along the walls did not look unordinary and those hits will multiply 5x during playoffs. If he does come back he's taking a chance and I can't see him playing the role the bruins expected when they acquired him. Perhaps a lesson learned for the future...

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
unfortunate for sure, I wasn`t a pom pom waiving fan of the deal but I`d be lying or being too stubborn not to admit he and DK had some nice chemistry going and the addition of Nash made this team deeper for sure. Man do I despise concussions

Reactions: Bruinaura

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He got hurt...

it's kind of absurd that you're seemingly looking forward to taking a victory lap about this.

There was buyer beware on this trade (I don't think many of us talked about this pre Nash trade discussions - I had know idea)...his goal scoring dropped significantly after that head injury and some articles out there speculating Nash avoids danger areas because of it.

Will Concussions Make Rick Nash The Next Eric Lindros?

It's really too bad this happened to Nash. He appeared to be settling in well but there was a chance this could happen.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
There was buyer beware on this trade (I don't think many of us talked about this pre Nash trade discussions - I had know idea)...his goal scoring dropped significantly after that head injury and some articles out there speculating Nash avoids danger areas because of it.

It's really too bad this happened to Nash. He appeared to be settling in well but there was a chance this could happen.
Each time a player steps on the ice there is a chance it will happen, and those who suffered prior concussions their chances of another are greater if I understand correctly. I saw not one sign of Nash avoiding any "danger areas" in his games with the B`s

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston

That was almost 5 years ago and he hit his career high in goals the following season. I don't think missing games after getting hit in the head like that is any indication of fragility on his part.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Each time a player steps on the ice there is a chance it will happen, and those who suffered prior concussions their chances of another are greater if I understand correctly. I saw not one sign of Nash avoiding any "danger areas" in his games with the B`s

Agreed he was playing well and didn't see him avoiding danger areas however should he return those "danger areas" most likely will exist for Nash. Concussions do suck!

BTW most fans here wanted "status quo" no trade. Nash was exciting to see go down and played well however there was a buyer beware on his back. Like I said earlier I don't think many of us knew of his concussion history. I was hoping for other players in a trade but was good with Nash. It's really too bad. Good thing the Bruins acquired a Donato just at the right time :)

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agreed he was playing well and didn't see him avoiding danger areas however should he return those "danger areas" most likely will exist for Nash. Concussions do suck!
chances are he`ll play a touch hesitant if he returns initially. Look at Bergy all those years ago, almost played to not get hurt again for quite some time and who could blame him. He made some very obvious adjustments to how he positioned/braced himself for impact and he`s been, for the most part, a better player post nasty concussion

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
chances are he`ll play a touch hesitant if he returns initially. Look at Bergy all those years ago, almost played to not get hurt again for quite some time and who could blame him. He made some very obvious adjustments to how he positioned/braced himself for impact and he`s been, for the most part, a better player post nasty concussion

Very true. He's learned how to play to protect himself. It's hockey and nobody can anticipate the unexpected. Bergy is one of the bruin all time greats and would be very difficult seeing him going out like a Savard. I want to see him hang up his skates after he finishes this contract - lead a normal life with family / friends.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I will say this, if KPD is wrong, it's my last straw for him. Hockey hall of fame blah blah. Never liked his attitude and this article has a strong haggerty vibe to it
He was one of my fav`s years ago, in recent times, reading his contributions I almost feel like he`s not trying to write anything with substance, it`s poking at "maybe`s" and "possibly`s" of a situation rather than back up his musings with facts. Is Nash a player who has had concussion history? Absolutely but correct me if I`m wrong, isn`t he also a guy who after that last concussion went on to produce his best offensive season? We all know this isn`t the mid-20`s Nash so decrease in numbers over the last few years as he aged aren`t a surprise. I am not a big Nash guy but I found this article almost lazy and too many of KPD`s contributions in recent years have left me unimpressed.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
So how reputable is KPD? He's a regular guest on the radio up here but that doesn't mean he should be taken seriously. Though, the host that has him on is reputable.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I believe it was DKH who posted Nash attempted skating yesterday and wasn't on ice very long - heart rate / concussion thing. Speculating his return and effectiveness on return isn't premature.
No. Isn't it premature to rule out a return of Rick Nash...

Reactions: Thrive

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
When everything is going right people seem to NEED to find something wrong
Yes. Because as a journalist you only blend in if you are saying what everyone else is (in this case that the Bs are doing well) and you don't stand out. So...gotta find the dark cloud. It's pretty much his trademark.

Guys get hurt playing the game. No one can predict that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad