Proposal: Kovy to Devils?

NOLAPensFan

Feb 19, 2014
Now that Kovalchuk's earned his Olympic gold medal :win: and the TDL less than 48 hours away, any chance the Devils sign him to a pro-rated contract for the rest of the season? Or maybe they trade his UFA rights to someone else?

What do you think? Devils fans I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts. :popcorn:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I'm still holding out hope that he joins Toronto in the offseason. We have the cap for a short term high cap deal ala Marleau. Could replace JVRs lost production (he will get a longterm deal that doesn't work out for us longterm). His apology to Lou ;).

please

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
They cant...he would have to be allowed back in by the other 30 teams.
No he doesn't. The Devils rights to him expire this season.

Once this season ends he will be a free agent and can join the NHL and any team he wants.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018

This is not true. The Devils could have (and still can) sign him without needing any team's approval. Any other team, however, would need all 30 other teams to allow it.

The issue with signing him now, I believe, is that he would have to be placed on waivers since he played in another professional league post-November 1st (or something like that). Highly doubt he makes it all the way to the Devils or either party bothers.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Kovalchuk is a complete free agent on July 1st any team can sign him no compensation needed.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Kovalchuk is signed with SKA, they are looking to win the Gagarin Cup... why are they going to just release him?

He won't be back this season.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

that expires this offseason

EDIT: never mind I missed that OP said rest of this season. thats not happening lol

and no thanks. dont need that guy around our young players

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I always wanted him back... but after all of the crap I have seen from him in the last few years, he is an awful human being. He can stay in Russia for all I care.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Hall-Hischier-Kovalchuk

LOL, good luck trying to defend 3 1st overalls NHL.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
It sounded like had Kovalchuk came over that he wanted no part of returning to the Devils, Sounds like he wants New York

Well, at the time the perception was that he Devils were in a long rebuild and wouldn’t be seeing the playoffs anytime soon while the Rangers were planning to be a perennial playoff team in the near future. Those roles have reversed.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I have no idea if the KHL season is finished or not, but if he wanted to come back now, I could easily see a team give NJ a second. It would most likely be a West team though. i can't see NJ helping to improve a team in the East.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I usually don't trust Gross too much source-wise, but given he's been around the organization the last two years, I have to think he would have a decent pulse on Kovalchuk.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I have no idea if the KHL season is finished or not, but if he wanted to come back now, I could easily see a team give NJ a second. It would most likely be a West team though. i can't see NJ helping to improve a team in the East.
Except he would have to pass through waivers if he does it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad