Kovalchuk

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
Rumours are surfacing that kovy wants to come back. All 30 gms would have to approve it first but if they did what would you guys think about bringing him here? Still a potentially elite winger that wouldn't cost any players or picks. Obviously depends what kind of contract he wants but if he would sign 3 years at 5-6 per it could work out very well.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think it's between Pens and Caps (because Malkin and Ovechkin). The Russian factor will probably be big for him.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
If he comes back, he's gotta be a Devil, or at least the Devils need to get compensated via a trade of his rights. He can't be a UFA, it just sets a really bad precedent otherwise. So with that, the question becomes, what would you be willing to trade to acquire him if he were allowed to return?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If he comes back, he's gotta be a Devil, or at least the Devils need to get compensated via a trade of his rights. He can't be a UFA, it just sets a really bad precedent otherwise. So with that, the question becomes, what would you be willing to trade to acquire him if he were allowed to return?

Why? Devils were supposed to lose their 1st round pick and never did. Screw helping the Devils more.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Why? Devils were supposed to lose their 1st round pick and never did. Screw helping the Devils more.

Because this isn't just about the Devils. If a player can retire, subsequently unretire, and choose to sign with any other team, they can escape any contract they want to. That gives way too much leverage to players and is something that I find highly unlikely that the 30 GMs (read: owners) would sign off on.

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014

As far as I know he is a ufa because he retired which terminated the contract. As I said however before he could come back to the nhl all 30 gms including the Devils would have to approve it. He arguably helped the Devils by retiring so I don't know why they would be entitled to any more compensation.

Edit:
There's a 5 year limit before the player can come out of retirement if I remember correctly

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think this is really worth discussing (especially not in it's own thread). But, hypothetically, sure I'd like him on the Pens if the term was short.

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
I don't think this is really worth discussing (especially not in it's own thread). But, hypothetically, sure I'd like him on the Pens if the term was short.

Well I think potentially getting a career ppg game for nothing is worth discussing. Guys only 31 and is back over a ppg this year. I barely post here so I'm not fully up on the etiquette but feel free to add this into another thread if you can.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
As far as I know he is a ufa because he retired which terminated the contract. As I said however before he could come back to the nhl all 30 gms including the Devils would have to approve it. He arguably helped the Devils by retiring so I don't know why they would be entitled to any more compensation.

Edit:
There's a 5 year limit before the player can come out of retirement if I remember correctly

Exactly, and his 5 years aren't up. Think of it this way. Say Taylor Hall is tired of playing for the Oilers, but he has his pesky contract to deal with that ties him to the team. Ilya's return sets a precedent for Hall retiring, playing a year in the KHL or Switzerland for that matter, and then returning to sign for your Pittsburgh Penguins. Sure he loses a year of NHL salary, but Ilya made more in the KHL that he did from his now terminated NHL contract anyway. The Oilers lose Hall for nothing despite having him under contract. Do you think GM's will sign off on that?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Because this isn't just about the Devils. If a player can retire, subsequently unretire, and choose to sign with any other team, they can escape any contract they want to. That gives way too much leverage to players and is something that I find highly unlikely that the 30 GMs (read: owners) would sign off on.

As far as i know his contract got voided, so he's fair game.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well I think potentially getting a career ppg game for nothing is worth discussing. Guys only 31 and is back over a ppg this year. I barely post here so I'm not fully up on the etiquette but feel free to add this into another thread if you can.

I don't care that you made a thread for it. I just don't think it's worth discussing because I think the likelihood of it happening is less than 1%.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Have you met Lou?

Even though his penalties by the league were over turned in the end, he'll still say no out of spite.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, you met Lou? Did he look more like a frog or an alien?

Ha...no.

Not sure why? Didn't Kovalchuk leaving help with Devils bancruptsy?

What is Bancruptsy?

The debacle of the whole Kovalchuk contract, the league making an example out of them but not others and then Kovalchuk leaving and then the League easing up and giving them picks back...I feel like that whole ordeal, if Kovalchuk suddenly wants to come back, there would be an issue.

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
Exactly, and his 5 years aren't up. Think of it this way. Say Taylor Hall is tired of playing for the Oilers, but he has his pesky contract to deal with that ties him to the team. Ilya's return sets a precedent for Hall retiring, playing a year in the KHL or Switzerland for that matter, and then returning to sign for your Pittsburgh Penguins. Sure he loses a year of NHL salary, but Ilya made more in the KHL that he did from his now terminated NHL contract anyway. The Oilers lose Hall for nothing despite having him under contract. Do you think GM's will sign off on that?

Kovalchuk is eligible to return for the 2016/17 season that's what this conversation is about.

Hall could not retire from the oilers and go play in Europe for a year and then sign with the penguins. If you wants to retire and go play there for 5 years and then sign with us for the 20-21 season, he is more than welcome to. What your implying to try and make your point is ridiculous and wrong.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Kovy isn't even top 5 in points in the KHL. Stephane Da Costa has out performed him. If there is anyone the Pens should seriously consider it's without a doubt Panarin. He's such a talent and actually a realistic option potentially this summer.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Kovalchuk is eligible to return for the 2016/17 season that's what this conversation is about.

Hall could not retire from the oilers and go play in Europe for a year and then sign with the penguins. If you wants to retire and go play there for 5 years and then sign with us for the 20-21 season, he is more than welcome to. What your implying to try and make your point is ridiculous and wrong.

Oh, I thought you were referring to him coming next season prior to his 5 years being up. In that case, this is indeed a pretty senseless thread to create based on rumors about two seasons from now. The variables involved (our cap situation, our forward group, etc.) make this really difficult to gauge. For the record, I don't really want to see him here when he's 34 or whatever and locked into a 3 or more year contract. Irregardless, you think the GM or the Oilers would say, here, go retire, play in the KHL for 5 years, and come back, I don't need the assets to improve my team at all? Do you think any GM would sign off on that, let alone all 30?

edit: His most likely return date is when he is 35 when he doesn't need anyones approval, apparently, and by then, who knows the make-up of this team.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Devils were trying to sell the team. They succeed in doing it and suddenly the biggest contract on the team is dropped.

I don't think Lou has any issue with what Kovalchuk did, and I wouldn't be surprised if he helped arrange it.

I would love to see him on Malkin's wing. Even if he isn't the Kovalchoo of the past he is exactly the kind of player we need in this room. True leader. Basically, besides Brodeur put the Devils on his back when they made their run to the cup finals.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
"Kovachoo"
hqdefault.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad