Proposal: Kovalchuk to Pittsburgh

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think if LA offered Kovalchuk at 50%, he could fetch a first round pick. A top line winger for $3 million?

Reactions: King Trouty

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’m not trying to pretend like I have the best idea of how the salary cap works, but I’m pretty sure LA can’t retain anything with how tight they are.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well, for a rental option in third line, I think he can still be good.

Unfortunately he's not a rental, and has 2.5 years left on his contract - which is exactly why I wouldn't be interested.

I like it as a Kings fan. I think Pittsburgh would ask for more retention though.

Honestly, I don't think LA could retain enough for me to be interested in him. Good player still, but even at 3.5/4m, I think he's too expensive for the cap complications he'd bring down the road.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I’m not trying to pretend like I have the best idea of how the salary cap works, but I’m pretty sure LA can’t retain anything with how tight they are.

If they don’t receive any salary coming back, they can. They also have a couple players on injured reserve. Who knows what other trades may come as well.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Unfortunately he's not a rental, and has 2.5 years left on his contract - which is exactly why I wouldn't be interested.

Honestly, I don't think LA could retain enough for me to be interested in him. Good player still, but even at 3.5/4m, I think he's too expensive for the cap complications he'd bring down the road.

Kovalchuk at 50% would be about $3.1 million. You could bury him year three for $2.2 million, worst case scenario. But he’s still the top scorer for the Kings, despite Desjardins’ best efforts.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kovalchuk at 50% would be about $3.1 million. You could bury him year three for $2.2 million, worst case scenario. But he’s still the top scorer for the Kings, despite Desjardins’ best efforts.

Pittsburgh doesn't really have the cap space (and likely wouldn't in 2 seasons) to bury 2m in the minors. IDK, I think LA could get better offers then PIT, and I'm really not a fan of him with that contract.

Reactions: Ori

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To Pittsburgh: Kovalchuk @ 5mil
To Los Angeles: Rust and Sprong

Pens add legit scoring winger for Brassard, Kings add speed, youth, and potential.

I see where your head is at, but I would rather send them a 2nd, Johnson, and Sheahan and hope they retain maybe 750k at most.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I doubt it happen based on cap reasons, and LA can still bounce back and Brown start to produce lately as well, and I believe too many write them off too early concerning playoffs this season. Vegas & Anaheim only have 25 pts. so a weak division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad