Proposal: Kovalchuk to a Contender

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My problem with Kovalchuk is this. How would he react to potentially beeing a scratch in games ? He doesn't exactly have a good track record when he doesn't feel appreciated and i'm not sure he is still a player you want in every game at this stage of his career.
I can't imagine a team spending assets on a player like Kovalchuk planning on scratching him in the playoffs. Its for a team that needs a top 6 winger. Like Edmonton.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I can't imagine a team spending assets on a player like Kovalchuk planning on scratching him in the playoffs. Its for a team that needs a top 6 winger. Like Edmonton.

I think with Kovalchuk this is a matchup thing at this point. At close to 37 he has some very glaring weaknesses that can and will be exposed in a playoff series. I just don't think he still can be a top 6 winger on a good team on a consistent basis anymore.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I just don't think he still can be a top 6 winger on a good team on a consistent basis anymore.
You'll have to forgive us habs fans, we don't know what that looks like.

But yeah, again, if a team is acquiring him, its to play in his top 6, warts an all because he's better than the alternative.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You'll have to forgive us habs fans, we don't know what that looks like.

But yeah, again, if a team is acquiring him, its to play in his top 6, warts an all because he's better than the alternative.

I look at Kovy similar to how i see Perry on the Stars this season. ( a bit better than Perry but still similar ) He still has skills to offer to team despite miles on his body and now very obvious flaws . Thing is how does he react to playing less than 10 minutes in a game he isn't playing well in or getting scratched when struggling longer ? With Perry so far that has worked. With Kovy ? I don't know about that. Thats something a GM would have to talk to him about.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you need top a top 6 offensive shot in the arm, its easily Kovalchuk.
I am by no means claiming this is totally causal, but in the 41 games prior to Kovi's arrival, Montreal scored 3.22 goals per game. In the last ten games before his signing, they scored 3.10 goals per game. Since he's been a Hab? 2.60 goals scored per game.

This is absolutely not 100% Kovalchuk's doing, just like the decrease in goals against per game isn't due to his presence (most likely). But I'm not sure how much a shot in the arm he is to an offense.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Unless he is extended before the deadline, Kovalchuk will likely go for a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd. Maybe a B prospect as well.

If that condition is met Habs will have 3 x 2nd rounders. If they want they could likely package 2 to get another 1st at the draft.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers will give the Habs a 1st round pick top 30 protected for the Habs 2nd round pick for Kovy. Otherwise it's a 5th round pick.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Saw a proposal about it on an Armchair GM on Capfriendly and liked the idea and wanted to see if i'm not the only one who thinks the value could be fair.
Montreal Trade : Kovalchuk + either MTL or Chicago 2020 2nd round pick (around 36-42 OA pick)
For
Contender (WSH, BOSTON, STL, etc) : 2020 1st round pick (around 25-31 OA pick)

What do you guys think?
or he would only be able to make us jump up around 10 picks from our 3rd to the 2nd round (from 60-70 ish AO to 55-60ish)

You realize he only had 3 points in his last 10 games after a hot start ? Montreal will be lucky to get a 4th for him . He back to LA form

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
You realize he only had 3 points in his last 10 games after a hot start ? Montreal will be lucky to get a 4th for him . He back to LA form
Dude, can you read ? im not asking a 1st straight up for kovy...
The early 2nd round pick (around 35-38) has more value then kovalchuk in my proposal...
Im valuing kovalchuk like a 3rd round pick, and i think a 3rd and a early 2nd (35-38AO) could theoretically fetch a late first (27-31)....
So you get Kovalchuk in exchange of droping 5-10 spots in a deep draft (apparently, I havent followed much of the prospects this season, but saw quite few comments about it)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Saw a proposal about it on an Armchair GM on Capfriendly and liked the idea and wanted to see if i'm not the only one who thinks the value could be fair.
Montreal Trade : Kovalchuk + either MTL or Chicago 2020 2nd round pick (around 36-42 OA pick)
For
Contender (WSH, BOSTON, STL, etc) : 2020 1st round pick (around 25-31 OA pick)

What do you guys think?
or he would only be able to make us jump up around 10 picks from our 3rd to the 2nd round (from 60-70 ish AO to 55-60ish)
Enjoy the 2 and 4 for Kovy. 1 isn't happening. Bergavin did quality gm'ing this winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad