Proposal: Kovalchuk to a Contender

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
Saw a proposal about it on an Armchair GM on Capfriendly and liked the idea and wanted to see if i'm not the only one who thinks the value could be fair.
Montreal Trade : Kovalchuk + either MTL or Chicago 2020 2nd round pick (around 36-42 OA pick)
For
Contender (WSH, BOSTON, STL, etc) : 2020 1st round pick (around 25-31 OA pick)

What do you guys think?
or he would only be able to make us jump up around 10 picks from our 3rd to the 2nd round (from 60-70 ish AO to 55-60ish)

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
No ones giving up a 1st for Kovalchuk sorry
The second still has good value because it's an early one.
Kovalchuk for drafting 8-10 picks later in the second round, how much does a 10 spots boost cost value wise around the late first? is it more then a 3rd round pick? I believe Kovalchuk could be worth a 3rd, especially in a sellers market like we saw with the Coleman, Greene, Zucker trades

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I would think a stand-alone 3rd/4th is better than moving up 8-15spots when the draft is so far out. Who knows who’s available and all?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
No, he just doesn’t subscribe to insanity.

Toffoli just got traded, and he didn’t get a 1st. What on earth makes you think Kovalchuk will?
To be fair, Madden + 2nd is worth more than a late first IMO. Especially when you factor that the 2nd might be earlier than we expect. Vancouver is not exactly a contender.

Kovalchuk for a late 2nd is reasonable. Late first won't happen.

Kovalchuk in the OP is to flip #38-40 OA for #27-31 OA, which is basically a early 3rd/late 2nd value.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If the Blues trade for him it would be kind of fun to see him reunited with Tarasenko from their KHL days.

The report is Montreal would ask for a 2nd so maybe they settle for a 3rd plus something small. Maybe.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The thing about the contender's first is that no one knows where that first will lie. Last year the "contenders" all got knocked out in the first round. So you'd be looking at dropping like 20 very valuable draft positions.

Just don't see it happening. The contender might give you a second.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I think people don’t understand the OP proposal it’s Kovy + early 2nd for a late 1st. I could totally see a team doing that. Kovy for 10-15th spot down thats reasonable

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This dude was available for free on waivers like a month ago and Hab fans think they've rehabilitated him enough to return a first rounder?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
This dude was available for free on waivers like a month ago and Hab fans think they've rehabilitated him enough to return a first rounder?

He got off to a hot start in Montreal so their fans are hoping that nobody will notice him quickly regressing back to his recent mean.

Ledge And Dairy

Saw a proposal about it on an Armchair GM on Capfriendly and liked the idea and wanted to see if i'm not the only one who thinks the value could be fair.
Montreal Trade : Kovalchuk + either MTL or Chicago 2020 2nd round pick (around 36-42 OA pick)
For
Contender (WSH, BOSTON, STL, etc) : 2020 1st round pick (around 25-31 OA pick)

What do you guys think?
or he would only be able to make us jump up around 10 picks from our 3rd to the 2nd round (from 60-70 ish AO to 55-60ish)
I get the idea but only one of the front running teams would do that type of trade and probably only if the 2020 2nd was projected around top 5ish. Though a strong and deep draft the drop off in player skill should be a little after that top 5-7. Anything past that has a more obvious decrease in value. Basically a team trading down going into the playoffs will want to the subtraction to be at most -7 to 8 spots (assuming they make at least the 2nd round). For example Ottawa will likely have their own 2nd round pick in the top 5 so if say Washington or Tampa wanted to do a deal around DeMelo + the highest of Ottawa's 2020 2nd round picks -- For -- their 2020 1st. This would be a lot more likely as Montreal is currently sitting in the tweener stages of the draft

Reactions: xFRaNK

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Interesting concept, definitely like the idea moving up as our GM has been more often moving back for extra picks. If there was maybe a conditional swap that the picks had to be maximum 12 apart maybe teams would bite - basically contender needs to make the semis and Habs finish no better than 8th last. If conditions not met it’s a straight 3rd

Reactions: xFRaNK

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Rehabilitated? Well, now, let me see...

He offers an offensive punch and is such a positive influence to the young players, like Suzuki. He's still got it. Sure he hasn't been on the scoreboard lately, but the guy is still a great player - I'd go as far as saying he's been our best forward since getting him.

What do you really want to know? Is he worth that 1st? To me, I would not let him go unless I get something good in return because of the positive influence he has on our young players. He's a motivator and watching him play brings a huge smile on my face.

So you go on and laugh at our expense and keep mentioning that he was a free pickup. Because, to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.

He's worth at the very least a 2nd (but I can see my bozo GM trade him for less). Otherwise I'd be glad to keep him on my team.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Rehabilitated? Well, now, let me see...

He offers an offensive punch and is such a positive influence to the young players, like Suzuki. He's still got it. Sure he hasn't been on the scoreboard lately, but the guy is still a great player - I'd go as far as saying he's been our best forward since getting him.

What do you really want to know? Is he worth that 1st? To me, I would not let him go unless I get something good in return because of the positive influence he has on our young players. He's a motivator and watching him play brings a huge smile on my face.

So you go on and laugh at our expense and keep mentioning that he was a free pickup. Because, to tell you the truth, I don't give a ****.

He's worth at the very least a 2nd (but I can see my bozo GM trade him for less). Otherwise I'd be glad to keep him on my team.
Get busy living or get busy dying

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kovalchuk to Tampa Bay is the best deal I can think of today. Would say a 3rd that turns into a 2nd if Tampa Bay either resigns Kovalchuk or wins the cup.

But as long as he's playing he's likely going to be floating to many other NHL teams in order to chase his cup dream and join the triple gold club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad