OT: Kovalchuk retires from the NHL

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
its all over twitter now. GC, ESPN, etc still haven't posted anything yet

NHLDevilsPR ‏@NHLDevilsPR 4m
Kovalchuk: "This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia."

Hockey Central ‏@SNHockeyCentral 4m
New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk announces his retirement from the NHL.

TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

NHL http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677712&navid=DL|NHL|home

wow......and WOW!

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Shocker for sure, thank Cthulhu we got Richards instead of him. I can't believe how bad I wanted him on the Kings and he goes and retires at 30? Something is totally off about this whole thing...

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I feel so ****ing bad for the Devils. You decide not to give up the 29th pick, who is a complete tool and not a great player, you take a huge step in getting your future #1, but then your best player retires. Just unreal. Lose Parise and Kovalchuk. So ****ed.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
How does this effect their cap situation, isn't there a penalty? Even worse is that any money he clears up is useless after the majority of the FAs have been signed...

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
He was getting paid over 11 million dollars for the next 4 seasons! He skipped out on the largest part of his contract! WTF? What did the KHL offer him?!?!?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I wonder how much this has to do with his back injury. One Devils poster said there was speculation it was now chronic and really wasn't ever going to go away. If so, I guess I get it?

KingKopitar11*

Man did we dodge a Nuke or what? holy crap. The City Of Angels turned Kovalchuk to the Devils because they knew he would retire! It all makes sense :handclap:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Dean owes Lou the world for giving that contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lou turned around and traded for Vanek right about now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad