Value of: Kotkaniemi to PIT

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Looking for a contract swap.

Ideally would be Jarry or Graves for Kotkaniemi straight up, but also would do something different like a player with lesser term.

What do you Canes fans think?
I'd rather keep KK and give him another year to see if he can find his game from the beginning of the season when he was red-hot...or buy him out before he turns 26. Jarry and Graves probably have negative value to us, especially with their M-NTCs and long over-priced contracts (unless you want to retain 50%)

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Looking for a contract swap.

Ideally would be Jarry or Graves for Kotkaniemi straight up, but also would do something different like a player with lesser term.

What do you Canes fans think?
I get the idea of Pitt getting rid of a bad deal also but if you want KK so bad, just wait for him to be bought out and try to sign him.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd rather keep KK and give him another year to see if he can find his game from the beginning of the season when he was red-hot...or buy him out before he turns 26. Jarry and Graves probably have negative value to us, especially with their M-NTCs and long over-priced contracts (unless you want to retain 50%)

How about Reilly Smith, Noel Acciari or Lars Eller then?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With Carolina having so many EFA dmen, I could see a swap of Graves and KK making sense.

Reactions: DaveG

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
With Carolina having so many EFA dmen, I could see a swap of Graves and KK making sense.
There's just a lot less risk with the KK contract right now. Almost 5 million for Graves vs a contract they can still basically get out of if needed because of KK's age.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Pass on paying graves 4.5 million for another 5 years.

Even though kk is over paid, he is overpaid for a more valuable position and can be bought out for 1/3 price if need be. The cost of a 1/3 buyout and a mid range 3LD will be cheaper than graves at 4.5 million

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There's just a lot less risk with the KK contract right now. Almost 5 million for Graves vs a contract they can still basically get out of if needed because of KK's age.
I mean, yes and no. Both players are probably pretty even given overall performance relative to contract. Yeah, KK is younger but at some point there may be a "we need a dman more than KK" decision.

Both teams have a couple guys coming up that could easily over take the guy they just traded for but I also don't see KK being any more tradeable than Graves at the moment. I think that regard, age is a minor factor.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I mean, yes and no. Both players are probably pretty even given overall performance relative to contract. Yeah, KK is younger but at some point there may be a "we need a dman more than KK" decision.

Both teams have a couple guys coming up that could easily over take the guy they just traded for but I also don't see KK being any more tradeable than Graves at the moment. I think that regard, age is a minor factor.
I don't think there's any justification for that, the potential to get more out of KK than Graves is so much higher based on age alone. You're also really glazing over the stark differences in their buyouts, that's a HUGE factor considering both are ostensibly cap dumps

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why swap? Just ask for one of the prospects you actually wanted in the Guentzel trade and take the guy in his mid-20s and let him grow on your rebuilding team. The Canes would probably like the free cap space.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd expect a swift and hard no from Carolina. They'll find a young team with cap space to give him away to for free/with a very digestible sweetener as a reclamation project or just buy him out, it's like 800k a year

Buffalo waves hello. Might be a really nice 3C for us. We'd even give you something for him. Need a RHD? We'll give you Jokiharju.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Would honestly take him on the Flames as a bounce back candidate. See what he can do over a couple years. Will be able to give him a lot more opportunity than Carolina. If he can be a ~35-40 point guy, $4.7m probably isn’t that bad given cap increases in a couple years. FC or a late round pick may be a worthwhile bet.

Reactions: DaveG

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Why swap? Just ask for one of the prospects you actually wanted in the Guentzel trade and take the guy in his mid-20s and let him grow on your rebuilding team. The Canes would probably like the free cap space.

If the canes want to move KK and can’t find a team looking to take him for free then they will just buy him out. His cap hit would be really low.

They’re not going to suddenly include their top prospects they’ve never been willing to move for this.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Buyout is the logical play here. Don’t see Canes retaining and / or adding a sweetener to dump when the buyout is cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad