Kotkaniemi finishes the season with 27 points in 79 games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like the Canes, but yeah no point in trying to cope, this was a bad signing. At least with the cap projected to rise over the next few year it'll be easier to swallow but they should explore what it would cost to trade dump him or buy him out.

Canes pride themselves on efficient contracts, Kotka's contract sticks out like a sore thumb.
KK is still a 1/3 buyout option for 2 more seasons. He is only 24. And doesn't turn 26 until July 6, 2026, so they can buyout the final 4 seasons at 1/3 or $1.6 mill per thus $800K in dead cap when the cap will be over $90 million. So minimal punishment if that is the case.

CAR has until then to move off him at a minimal cost.

Reactions: Nucker101

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Why does no one remember me? Sobs. "I still get paid until 2029. Doesn't that account for anything?"
GOALIE-superJumbo.jpg

If he stayed healthy, $4.5M cap hit through 2021 would’ve been pretty good.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm guessing by the existence of this thread that the Habs fans are bored with nothing worthwhile to discuss about their own team anymore

As we all know, this signing has turned into an absolute boatanchor of a deal for the Canes that is really holding them back to... *checks standings*... 2nd in the East, likely only 1 point back of the President's Trophy had they not rested the entire core last night. Really screwed ourselves with this one, huh?

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
I'm guessing by the existence of this thread that the Habs fans are bored with nothing worthwhile to discuss about their own team anymore

As we all know, this signing has turned into an absolute boatanchor of a deal for the Canes that is really holding them back to... *checks standings*... 2nd in the East, likely only 1 point back of the President's Trophy had they not rested the entire core last night. Really screwed ourselves with this one, huh?
They need all the entertainment they can muster in Montreal right now, let them have this one.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He's such a flawed player. Big but not overly physical. Doesn't kill penalties or play shutdown minutes which makes him problematic in the bottom 6, and his limited offensive upside means he can't run with a good top 6. And his fatal flaw, the reason he is mostly a nothing player - he can't skate worth shit.

And for those thinking he's living rent free, remember, this is a guy that left on bad terms. Habs gave him a great opportunity, his RC year is still one of his best. But, they benched in the playoffs - a run that took the team to the Cup without him contributing - and he decided to leave. Why wouldn't we dunk on him? He's a bit of a goof, and this looks good on him.

They need all the entertainment they can muster in Montreal right now, let them have this one.
Funny enough, Habs fans are pretty jacked right now about the future. Last couple games was a good glimpse into the future, Hutson looks like a real gamer, Mailloux looks great, and we are going to add another top 5 pick.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Offersheet where they give a 1st and 3rd to Montreal to pay him over 6 million.

Then give him a long contract he isn't meeting. I think Montreal won here.
Habs lost. They transformed a 3oa pick to Christian Dvorak in a little over 3 years.

Hurricanes lost, harder. They tried pushing the fat kid in the pool, missed, and fell in themselves.

Reactions: viceroy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kotkaniemi sucks but it's hilarious to see Habs fans dunking on the Canes for the offersheet when they wasted that 1st trading for Christian Dvorak.

Dvorak with Montreal: 26 goals and 70 points in 150 games, pace of 38 points per 82 games
Kotkaniemi with Carolina: 42 goals and 99 points in 227 games, pace of 36 points per 82 games

I guess Carolina did worse because Kotkaniemi is signed long-term, but let's not act like Montreal did well with the offersheet either.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He’s good in the playoffs iirc
he's streaky, but still only has 21 points in 58 games, sub 30 point pace. And I think more then a quarter of those points came in a few games. So he is basically the same player, does nothing for long stretches then gets hot.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Kotkaniemi sucks but it's hilarious to see Habs fans dunking on the Canes for the offersheet when they wasted that 1st trading for Christian Dvorak.

Dvorak with Montreal: 26 goals and 70 points in 150 games, pace of 38 points per 82 games
Kotkaniemi with Carolina: 42 goals and 99 points in 227 games, pace of 36 points per 82 games

I guess Carolina did worse because Kotkaniemi is signed long-term, but let's not act like Montreal did well with the offersheet either.

The Habs are still paying for Dvorak too; they owe Utah a 2nd round pick this year

Brutal drafting followed up by brutal trading

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Its hilarious because it was an attempt at revenge that blew up in their faces. As you illustrated this move didn't really harm or help the Canadiens. In a round about way we simply traded one dog shit player for another.

Carolina would have been better off using that first rounder on a position of need rather than to try and give Marc Bergevin a public pantsing, which they did. Plus the OS gelped to get MB fired, habs to begin the rebuild, and eventually draft Slaf with the #1 pick.

Canes saved us from ourselves, that ridiculous contract is just the icing on the cake.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Correct, but Dvorak has been better, plays a true shutdown role including PK time, expiring deal ,that will return some assets. And Habs aren't win now - which is the issue for the Canes, yes I get that your team is awesome - they are - but all the more reason it hurts have a guy in the press box that you paid a first, 3rd and 4.8MM per x 8. The opportunity cost is huge.

Still all Habs fans would give Dvo back for those pics, not a good use of assets.

Frankly never understood what MTL saw to draft him at 3, or what the Canes saw to OS him. Did both teams think they could teach him to skate?

Reactions: Goalfield22

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob

I mean we likely would’ve held onto KK so it’s probably Net 0 for us.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its hilarious because it was an attempt at revenge that blew up in their faces. As you illustrated this move didn't really harm or help the Canadiens. In a round about way we simply traded one dog shit player for another.

Carolina would have been better off using that first rounder on a position of need rather than to try and give Marc Bergevin a public pantsing, which they did. Plus the OS gelped to get MB fired, habs to begin the rebuild, and eventually draft Slaf with the #1 pick.

Canes saved us from ourselves, that ridiculous contract is just the icing on the cake.
Both teams lost on KK.

All of the players Montreal passed on, Brady Tkachuck and Quinn Hughes and then turning around and getting Dvorak while they missed the PO.

Carolina, giving up a 1st and 3rd for a 30 point forward and using up $6.1 and then $4.8 mill in cap room over 2 year so for a total of $15.7 mill over 3 years in their contending windows. Probably was a better use of that cap space and assets than him to get someone who could help now.

Reactions: japhi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad