Proposal: Koskinen for Victor Rask and Stalock

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
EDM and MN get rid of unwanted players who were acquired by GM's since fired. Stalock is included to even out salaries, and provide a bit of goalie depth. Salaries and term are just about as equal as you can get.

The hope is that Koskinen gets his game back (if he ever had one?) behind a more solid defense and becomes at least a good backup. EDM hopes that Rask rediscovers some of his game, and stays away from dangerous vegetables.

Basically, this is a change of scenery trade.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I see no reason for Edmonton to do this. Rask already had a change of scenery and he’s currently the 13th or 14th forward on the depth chart.

Edmonton is also getting a significant downgrade at goalie here, and getting a press box skater to make up for it.

Reactions: qqaz and Kuola

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
From what I’ve read Koskinen’s issue last year was he was not physically ready for the grind of the entire NHL season. It was for this reason his performance fell off a cliff in the latter half of the regular season. He trained really hard in the off season to get physically fit and prepared.

Might as well give him another year to see if he can maintain his performance over an entire season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
From what I’ve read Koskinen’s issue last year was he was not physically ready for the grind of the entire NHL season. It was for this reason his performance fell off a cliff in the latter half of the regular season. He trained really hard in the off season to get physically fit and prepared.

Might as well give him another year to see if he can maintain his performance over an entire season.

Yup. You have to give Koskinen at least one season to show something.

Might be a little different if something worthwhile was coming back, but Rask likely isn't even better than Cave or Haas.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Yeah I’d pass on this offer even though I am willing to roll the dice on a reclamation project. We can’t downgrade in goal with a 37 year old Smith

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not terrible but I have even less faith in a Smith/Stalock tandem than I do in a Smith/Koskinen one.

Koskinen was adequate if unspectacular until Hitchcock lost his mind and played him in 25 of the final 27 games. Rask is just plain awful.

might be worth revisiting around Christmas if Starrett starts well in the AHL and Koskinen’s glove hand continues to decompose.

Reactions: qqaz and TFHockey

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Edmonton... YOU. DO. NOT. WANT. RASK.

My inner Oiler fan says HELL NO!

My inner Wild fan says HELL YES! Get rid of that awful contract and an older AHL quality goaltender? Yes please!

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I wouldn't do this for Edmonton. Only 500k difference between Rask and Koskinen and they both have 3 years remaining. I don't see where Rask helps the oilers.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton... YOU. DO. NOT. WANT. RASK.

My inner Oiler fan says HELL NO!

My inner Wild fan says HELL YES! Get rid of that awful contract and an older AHL quality goaltender? Yes please!

At least the Wild were smart enough to can Fenton after one year. Imagine the damage he could have done with a couple more seasons

Reactions: TFHockey

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'd do it but I don't have any belief that Koskinen will figure it out.

Maybe Rask can figure it out. If not I think it's still easier to move a forward than a goalie like Koskinen.

Goaltending goes to shit but you can give Starrett a shot now and look to the future instead of waiting until next summer after you buy Koskinen out.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
At least the Wild were smart enough to can Fenton after one year. Imagine the damage he could have done with a couple more seasons

Just imagine if the Oilers had been smart enough to can Chiarelli and Burger Bob after just one year of Chia.

Too bad the Wild didn't hire him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yup. You have to give Koskinen at least one season to show something.

Might be a little different if something worthwhile was coming back, but Rask likely isn't even better than Cave or Haas.

Counterpoint: Keep Koskinen and he performs like he did last year or even worse...then you're really stuck with him.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Me, talking to Victor Rask:

source.gif

Reactions: rynryn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad