Value of: Korpisalo to CAR

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Neutral fan that thinks this is a good fit for the Canes, who even before today needed goaltending help to take it to the next level. Korpisalo is signed to a nice deal and has been lights out in the playoffs. With Elvis, Korpi is expendable. I'm guessing CBJ would want some help upfront, but not sure who the Canes deep expendable?

Maybe something like Niederreiter + 1st?

Then trade Pesce for Nylander and still ice a very deep defense core.

Thoughts?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
so you missed that OT winner or....
How was that bad? That play picked apart the canes and led to a point blank shot....on the forehand....to a good shooter. Mrazek always plays aggressive so of course he overcharged the angle but that’s an easy shot for any guy in the league to hit even if the goalie stays home more.

It’s funny how the rules of what’s ok to let in and what’s not have changed, despite it really not changing. That’s a nice shot on a huge defensive breakdown that no goalie would be responsible for. I’m fine with Mrazek playing that aggressive.

That play is on two defenseman turning to Pasta and overplaying him while he’s stuck on his backhand while the back checker let Bergeron go. We all saw that pass coming a mile away. The D read it wrong and it was an easy finish with the goalie going post to post.

Saying that play means the Canes need a goalie is comical. The Canes gave up enough chances to lose that game by the third period.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If you're going to try to take something away from this particular game, it's the importance of Pesce. If he's healthy, Edmundson and Skjei barely see the ice in the 3rd and overtime.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
How was that bad? That play picked apart the canes and led to a point blank shot....on the forehand....to a good shooter. Mrazek always plays aggressive so of course he overcharged the angle but that’s an easy shot for any guy in the league to hit even if the goalie stays home more.

It’s funny how the rules of what’s ok to let in and what’s not have changed, despite it really not changing. That’s a nice shot on a huge defensive breakdown that no goalie would be responsible for. I’m fine with Mrazek playing that aggressive.

That play is on two defenseman turning to Pasta and overplaying him while he’s stuck on his backhand while the back checker let Bergeron go. We all saw that pass coming a mile away. The D read it wrong and it was an easy finish with the goalie going post to post.

Saying that play means the Canes need a goalie is comical. The Canes gave up enough chances to lose that game by the third period.
Mrazek was way off his angle. He also let in some goals against NY that a cup-winning goalie just doesn't allow. Petr Mrazek is not a Stanley Cup level starter, and goaltending is what is holding Carolina back.

Reactions: Bruce Granville

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Typically, goalie market value is less than their value to the team.

So I don't see a deal that makes sense for Columbus to move Korpi and Carolina to pay to get him. Carolina is better off drafting one or two in later rounds and playing goaltender roulette in Free Agency.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Columbus shouldn't be trading a starting goalie to a team they regularly battle with for a wildcard spot.

Reactions: Fro

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Come on man that’s really not your argument is it?
Since when are people so high on Petr Mrazek and James Reimer as a goaltending duo? The Canes have great D, great forward depth but this duo is holding them back. The guy has only had one season about .920 and that was 5 years ago. The goal today was blatantly an overplay. Not saying he would have saved it even if he was in position but he gave Bergeron half the net to shoot at, and this is just the latest example of him being an extremely average NHL goaltender. Plus he is 28, not exactly on his way to improving more.

The Jackets have two very capable starting goalies and could use help up front. Just seems like a good fit. If it's not Carolina I think some team will try to poach one of CBJs goalies. Makes sense before the expansion draft

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don't see Mrazek as being the long term answer as the Canes #1 (in spite of being a fan of his). But in spite of Korpisalo's nice work so far this playoff, I don't see him as having anywhere near the track record to give up much in the hope that he'd be a reliable #1, either. Goalies fluctuate and can get hot, and the Canes all too painfully remember how good Scott Darling looked during one playoff run for Chicago.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad