Player Discussion Korpisalo (5 years/20M)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’m not sure we can do much better. I’m hoping he rebounds. Now that he’s familiar with what’s needed and expected of a full season nhl starter hopefully he can get prepared properly this off-season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
LOL Burger

Lol is right. Woof.
I’m not sure we can do much better. I’m hoping he rebounds. Now that he’s familiar with what’s needed and expected of a full season nhl starter hopefully he can get prepared properly this off-season.
He's only been above .900 save % twice in the last 7 seasons. Bouncing back implies he has something to bounce back to, but I'm not seeing it on his resume.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We might have made a mistake signing him to this contract.
Contract length was always really questionable.

Korpisalo didn't really have a career to justify the contract imo, but he did have some mitigating factors (health related) for which a recent surgery was supposed to have helped. A strong year in Clb and really strong finish in LA gave hope that his past struggles with consistency tied back to those health issues, unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Had it been a 3 year deal, I could live with it, you roll the dice, and sometimes it doesn't work out. I suspect Dorion felt he needed to do something because Forsberg's injury made his future really questionable, which ironically he was right about, it's just his solution was a high risk high reward gamble when it probably should have been more of a low risk, low reward option, but Idk if any of those were available.

Reactions: albator71

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Mostly negativity about him. But there is a lot to like imo.
I’m not upset if he comes back next yr to prove he’s got what it takes.
A quarter through the season make a change if needed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Staios is pretty fresh out of the NhL. Probably still feels guilty blaming the goalies for anything. May honestly not buy out korpisalo for this reason alone

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was watching live. It seemed Staois was given a lay-up to say Korpisalo would be the guy next year and wouldn't commit to it. Thought it was the most telling part of the questioning.
At the same time, when asked about buyouts, he said he doesn't see any contracts where that makes sense at this time.

I think they will be looking to upgrade a goalie, and don't want to commit to either guy, but one will definitely be back, and both could be back.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
His athleticism, his size, his compete, his personality(different but I like it), his potential.
I mean his compete is letting in softies and then usually another softie.

His athleticism and size fine. But they’ve never ever helped be a consistent even average goalie in this league. And potential has never turned into anything with him

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
At the same time, when asked about buyouts, he said he doesn't see any contracts where that makes sense at this time.

I think they will be looking to upgrade a goalie, and don't want to commit to either guy, but one will definitely be back, and both could be back.

I think they can get out of the Forsberg contract without a buyout or retention. There are so few NHL goalies available. Most teams have shifted to using two goalies more as a tandem. Someone left without a goalie will take him because of his lack of term.

Worst case scenario would probably be a swap for an F or D who is in limbo with a similar cap hit but might be useful to us.

Korpisalo is a sunk cost. You let him compete for the #2 job and if Sogaard beats him out, bury Korpisalo. I'm assuming we go after a goalie like Ullmark.

Reactions: bert

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The guy is about to turn 30 and has very few quality seasons on his resume. It's not like he's going to magically turn in to something great at this point. A save percentage ballpark of .890-900 seems about the expectation we should have.

Reactions: Cosmix
Oct 10, 2010
I can’t wrap my head around keeping him he hasn’t been good his whole career he’s had some good streaks but you rarely see it.

If we wanna make the playoffs not sure how you can sell the fans and rest of the roster by bringing back a big black hole.

If he’s not getting bought out or traded - best case scenario is that he becomes leagues highest paid backup.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I was watching live. It seemed Staois was given a lay-up to say Korpisalo would be the guy next year and wouldn't commit to it. Thought it was the most telling part of the questioning.
See below.

Yes, one of the few specific things Staois actually said in this interview was there would be no buyouts.

He said the “goaltenders are better than their numbers” (7:10 mark) and “he (Korpi) will perform at a better rate next year” (8:28)”. And just before that, when the reporter asked specifically about Korpisalo being back next year, Staois said "they will look at everything and not specific to Korpisalo as you (the reporter) brought up and his contract” (8:20).

But, I think some people are going to interpret the actual words that were said with what they would like to have heard. It's hard to get anything definitive from Staois most of the time. He keeps his cards close to his chest/vest.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
See below.

Yes, one of the few specific things Staois actually said in this interview was there would be no buyouts.

He said the “goaltenders are better than their numbers” (7:10 mark) and “he (Korpi) will perform at a better rate next year” (8:28)”. And just before that, when the reporter asked specifically about Korpisalo being back next year, Staois said "they will look at everything and not specific to Korpisalo as you (the reporter) brought up and his contract” (8:20).

But, I think some people are going to interpret the actual words that were said with what they would look like to have heard. It's hard to get anything definitive from Staois frequently. He keeps his cards close to his chest/vest.
Agreed, everything he said can be interpreted as trying to not give other GM's any leverage while keeping all his options open.

Goalies are better than their numbers, i.e. we're comfortable going into next year with them so don't try and take advantage of us, but if the right deal is there ...

Reactions: bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Agreed, everything he said can be interpreted as trying to not give other GM's any leverage while keeping all his options open.

Goalies are better than their numbers, i.e. we're comfortable going into next year with them so don't try and take advantage of us, but if the right deal is there ...
Re: bolded
I’ve thought the same thing at times. Yet, I can’t imagine GMs not being aware of the situation in Ottawa, or for that matter any team they would talk to about a trade. I guess the goal could be trying to not to appear "too desperate”.

My other thought about this subject is that he could be thinking there’s always a chance he can’t do what he’d like to do for a variety of reason’s, so he’s trying to lower the bar as far as the fans expectations are concerned i.e., don’t promise something he might not be able to deliver.

Reactions: bert and Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad