Player Discussion Korpisalo (5 years/20M)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, defense in front of them hasn’t been stellar but both Korpisalo and Forsberg have been terrible.

Remember when people were saying how good Gustavsson was & how bad Talbot was, what a difference a year makes.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Andlauer can pretty quickly put his money where his mouth is an endear himself to the fanbase with a Korpisalo buyout. Eight years is obviously a long time to pay someone to go away but the cap # on the buyout isn't prohibitive enough in the short or long term to really matter. This is one of the easiest ways for him to flex his wallet and show us he's willing to move off mistakes.

It definitely adds some financial flexibility to a team that very well might need it this summer if they're planning on using FA to fill 2-3 roster holes.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Andlauer can pretty quickly put his money where his mouth is an endear himself to the fanbase with a Korpisalo buyout. Eight years is obviously a long time to pay someone to go away but the cap # on the buyout isn't prohibitive enough in the short or long term to really matter. This is one of the easiest ways for him to flex his wallet and show us he's willing to move off mistakes.

It definitely adds some financial flexibility to a team that very well might need it this summer if they're planning on using FA to fill 2-3 roster holes.
Agreed with the above, but I also think giving signing bonuses to his next signing can show that too. Can't remember the lat time we gave out a contract with a signing bonus or front-loaded it to make it more worthwhile for a player.

Reactions: stempniaksen

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

A buyout doesn't make sense.

They would save roughly the same amount of money over the lifetime of the contract through burying him in the AHL. This is assuming he is not the best option for the #2 goalie spot. If he beats out whoever else is in the organization for that spot, he saves them 1.XXM by proxy since they don't have to pay a different player to be the backup.

The only reason to buy him out is for cap management, not cap savings. It frees up short term cap space at the expense of long term cap space. They are tight to the cap this offseason, but they may not need the extra money this frees up.

Buying him out frees up 3.67M next season, but you have to factor in the possibility of him beating out Sogaard for the #2 position. If they have to pay Sogaard or UFA veteran 1M+ to be the backup, you have to deduct that from the 3.67M saved, because they wouldn't incur that additional cost with Korpisalo on the roster. So in reality, it probably saves them somewhere around 2.5M, since he is clearly penciled in as their #2 goalie next year.

There is no real downside to giving him 1 more year. It would be smart management. They only save a few 100k extra throughout the lifetime of the contract via a buyout, but they lose any shot at either freeing up additional cap space if the opportunity comes to trade him with retention, or to use him as a moving part in a bigger trade. While he isn't likely to bounce back and become a wicked goalie, they also lose any chance of benefiting if he finds a way to clean up his game and at least become a solid 25-30 game goalie again, like he was in the past.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Generally, I agree. But, it's also a question of balance potentially between long term and short term.

Hard to know what will happen in the future though. The dead cap would be just White and Korpisalo for a few years, but who knows if there will be other buyouts/retained salary in the future. It's possible people think there won’t be any, but I’d say that is tough to know and just as likely as unlikely.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

They would save roughly the same amount of money over the lifetime of the contract through burying him in the AHL. This is assuming he is not the best option for the #2 goalie spot. If he beats out whoever else is in the organization for that spot, he saves them 1.XXM by proxy since they don't have to pay a different player to be the backup.

The only reason to buy him out is for cap management, not cap savings. It frees up short term cap space at the expense of long term cap space. They are tight to the cap this offseason, but they may not need the extra money this frees up.

I don't disagree with your post, but the bolded is the (potentially) important part.

The next two seasons the buyout is going to be less than 1% of the cap and assuming we don't have another global pandemic that freezes the cap the $1.333 million cap hit from 28/29 to 31/32 is also going to be less than 1% of the cap. Obviously 26/27 and 27/28 when the cap hit jumps are a slightly different story.

If the team is planning on being aggressive this summer and being a player in UFA to fill holes at RHD/Top-Nine F/Goaltender the added flexibility over the next two seasons could be extremely important. If they run back most of the team and take a patient approach with a new coaching staff obviously that changes the narrative and his contract becomes less problematic.

It should be an interesting off-season as there are arguments for either approach. I wouldn't say he's a "must" buy-out, but saving ~$7 million against the cap over the next two seasons would certainly be an enticing proposition in the right set of circumstances.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
There is no real downside to giving him 1 more year. It would be smart management. They only save a few 100k extra throughout the lifetime of the contract via a buyout, but they lose any shot at either freeing up additional cap space if the opportunity comes to trade him with retention, or to use him as a moving part in a bigger trade. While he isn't likely to bounce back and become a wicked goalie, they also lose any chance of benefiting if he finds a way to clean up his game and at least become a solid 25-30 game goalie again, like he was in the past.
Prime Tortorella would not be able to motivate this team if Korpisalo comes back next year and shits the bed a few games in.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Buying him out frees up 3.67M next season, but you have to factor in the possibility of him beating out Sogaard for the #2 position. If they have to pay Sogaard or UFA veteran 1M+ to be the backup, you have to deduct that from the 3.67M saved, because they wouldn't incur that additional cost with Korpisalo on the roster. So in reality, it probably saves them somewhere around 2.5M, since he is clearly penciled in as their #2 goalie next year.

I think it’s 2.67 saved
4 - 1.33

But Korpisalo isn’t getting bought out, like you said, not with 8 years of cap hit penalty.
Still got 4 more seasons of White to pay lol.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it’s 2.67 saved
4 - 1.33

But Korpisalo isn’t getting bought out, like you said, not with 8 years of cap hit penalty.
Still got 4 more seasons of White to pay lol.
Nashville bought out 4 years of Turris, and Vancouver bought out 4 years of Ekman Larsson, it's not unheard of to buyout 4 years of an underperforming player,

Oct 10, 2010
If Korpisalo is on the roster that would be a massive failure and not a team that’s serious about making the playoffs bottom line

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it would be hard to expect the guys to come in to camp next year with confidence if #70 is our first option.

To be fair, those guys had careers that actually justified their contracts, Korpisalo.... not so much.
Seems like the rest of his career tells us that this year is exactly what we should expect out of Korpisalo going forward.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it would be hard to expect the guys to come in to camp next year with confidence if #70 is our first option.
It might be hard(er) to attract free agents going forward buying out a guy we just signed. Optics are certainly not good.

I think we need to change something, if that means bringing in a different starter in favour of Forsberg rather than Korpi, so be it,

In the end, I think the confidence will come from the performance, not the name plate. Kopri and Forsberg seem well liked. Players will give him a chance, but if it goes south that confidence won't last long.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It might be hard(er) to attract free agents going forward buying out a guy we just signed. Optics are certainly not good.

I think we need to change something, if that means bringing in a different starter in favour of Forsberg rather than Korpi, so be it,

In the end, I think the confidence will come from the performance, not the name plate. Kopri and Forsberg seem well liked. Players will give him a chance, but if it goes south that confidence won't last long.
I guess I just don't see what they have to lose by trying almost anyone else. They received replacement level performance and Korpisalo's career says that's about what should be expected. What is anyone expecting to change without personnel change?

But you're probably right. I think Forsberg will be the one that gets swapped out and that'll be that. Don't love it, but I get why.

And yes, it will, but that's where I expect history to repeat itself, unless Korpi can pull off one of his rare outlier seasons that got him the deal, but if it's 1 out of 3, next year could be a disaster again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad