Player Discussion Korpisalo (5 years/20M)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
we carry play only to get a ton of empty calorie shots and then proceed to have a catastrophic defensive breakdown which results in a grade AAA chance against.

and then everyone blames the goalie lol.
We're 15th in the league in goals per game, 12th in all situations HDCF/60, but last in the league in low danger sv%, but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

The vast majority aren't blaming the goalies for allowing a goal on high quality chances, and it's not hard to see goaltending has underperformed all season.

Reactions: bert

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Playing devil's advocate here- can someone explain why Dorion thought an 11 game stint last year was I guess, a representative sample of Korpisalo's skills? Like throughout his career he had never consistently been good so what was it about those 11 games last year that Dorion was like "this is THE guy"?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
we carry play only to get a ton of empty calorie shots and then proceed to have a catastrophic defensive breakdown which results in a grade AAA chance against.

and then everyone blames the goalie lol.
That’s nonsense.
We’ve had historically atrocious goaltending - and the players know it too.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Playing devil's advocate here- can someone explain why Dorion thought an 11 game stint last year was I guess, a representative sample of Korpisalo's skills? Like throughout his career he had never consistently been good so what was it about those 11 games last year that Dorion was like "this is THE guy"?
Korpisalo was pretty good in Clb that year too, though the season is an outlier

So playing devils advocate, Korpisalo had some injury issues earlier in his career, hip surgery if I recall was supposed to have resolved it.

So for argument sake, 2019-20 he's healthy, aside from a brief outing with a knee injury, and posts a .911 sv%.

He had a down year in 2020-21 and hip issues which he tried to play through that resulted in surgery in 21-22.

2022-23 he's healthy, posts a .911 in Clb, traded to LA and posts the aforementioned.921 in 11 games with LA

So Dorion bet on his down years being health related and those health issues were now resolved.

In hindsight, it appears Dorion was wrong, and 5 year contracts need to be reserved for sure things imo.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
While there is a concern I think a lot of GM will look one year and see the resume of a player. Especially a player coming from this team.

Can Ottawa swing a deal for Gibson which includes Korpi?
That would concern me. Imo his resume backs up that this is who he is, not the outlier season last year. 2020-21 and 2021-22 look pretty darn similar statistically to this one, so now you're like 3 of the last 4 seasons have been weak.

I'm still perplexed as to how he was anywhere near the ballpark with his resume to get the deal he got. He's had like 3 seasons with solid numbers out of 9.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That would concern me. Imo his resume backs up that this is who he is, not the outlier season last year. 2020-21 and 2021-22 look pretty darn similar statistically to this one, so now you're like 3 of the last 4 seasons have been weak.

I'm still perplexed as to how he was anywhere near the ballpark with his resume to get the deal he got. He's had like 3 seasons with solid numbers out of 9.
The FA market for goalies last summer was incredibly thin. Most of the guys that were thought to be available re-signed with their current teams right on July 1. You had Martin Jones, Korpisalo, and not much else. The other alternative was riding a duo of Sogaard and Forsberg. Would that have been better? I am a long way from being sold on Sogaard - I lean much more heavily to Meralainen.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We're 15th in the league in goals per game, 12th in all situations HDCF/60, but last in the league in low danger sv%, but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

The vast majority aren't blaming the goalies for allowing a goal on high quality chances, and it's not hard to see goaltending has underperformed all season.
Maybe Zub is visually impaired. That'd explain it

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

24th in LDSV% at 5v5, using those categories across all situations is problematic given how the criteria is defined.

Reactions: Relapsing

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The FA market for goalies last summer was incredibly thin. Most of the guys that were thought to be available re-signed with their current teams right on July 1. You had Martin Jones, Korpisalo, and not much else. The other alternative was riding a duo of Sogaard and Forsberg. Would that have been better? I am a long way from being sold on Sogaard - I lean much more heavily to Meralainen.
It was very thin, but I still look at his resume and don't get it. At least Jack Campbell justified his with good career numbers to that point that Korpse doesn't have. You have to walk away if your choice was him at 5 years imo. He has a track record of being a quality tender 3 out of 9 seasons, with 2 bad ones in a row prior to last year, and was never really relied on at any point as anything but a #2 or maybe a 1B. He's had below .900 save % 5 of the last 7 seasons now. What do people think is about to change? He had an 11 points lower save percentage than this season the year before last. There are deeper dives in to statistics that have been posted that hammer some of that home.

This is where the hip surgeries were dangled pretty hard as to why they believed his outlier season last year could be the real deal and "fixed" him, but it seems more like that was fool's gold and he's just regressed back in to his more normal numbers and this is what we should expect going forward.

I'm not optimistic and I just hope he's not here next year. We know it can't get worse, or if it does, it doesn't matter because they're well below where it needs to be to have a chance to compete for anything. I'm not sure the argument really holds water that those other guys would have been worse considering Korpse is basically at the very bottom of the league. It's not like this was seen as a slam dunk positive either, there were a ton of wtf's going around, so the argument they had to buy goodwill with fans is on shaky ground too imo, not that you made that argument, but it's been made before.

Imo, this will go down as the worst UFA contract ever handed out in Ottawa.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe Korpisalo suffers from Andersonitus, one good year is always followed by a bad year, it seems to have infected both Talbot and Gustavsson

Reactions: Alex1234

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Korpisalo was pretty good in Clb that year too, though the season is an outlier

So playing devils advocate, Korpisalo had some injury issues earlier in his career, hip surgery if I recall was supposed to have resolved it.

So for argument sake, 2019-20 he's healthy, aside from a brief outing with a knee injury, and posts a .911 sv%.

He had a down year in 2020-21 and hip issues which he tried to play through that resulted in surgery in 21-22.

2022-23 he's healthy, posts a .911 in Clb, traded to LA and posts the aforementioned.921 in 11 games with LA

So Dorion bet on his down years being health related and those health issues were now resolved.

In hindsight, it appears Dorion was wrong, and 5 year contracts need to be reserved for sure things imo.
I think he played well that weird COVID playoff year where the Jackets beat the Leafs. That left a favourable impression for some to some degree. Admittedly, any player that makes a decent contribution to beating the Leafs will make more of an impression though especially if its in the playoffs and the Leafs are denied advancing to later rounds yet again.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think he played well that weird COVID playoff year where the Jackets beat the Leafs. That left a favourable impression for some to some degree. Admittedly, any player that makes a decent contribution to beating the Leafs will make more of an impression though especially if its in the playoffs and the Leafs are denied advancing to later rounds yet again.
That was the playin round. I stand by the assertion that the leafs and Rangers both missed the playoffs.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He'll get another crack next season but I suspect they'll bring in a Brossoit/Stolarz to backup
Brossoit is brought up a fair bit. As is Demelo. Why wouldn't they both stay in a winning program in Winnipeg? Cap?
Same with Stolarz. Florida has half the roster as ufa. Why would he move, he can win there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean you’re talking about one of the worst GMs in pro sports so

24th in LDSV% at 5v5, using those categories across all situations is problematic given how the criteria is defined.
Goalies can still let in bad goals while killing a penalty or while on the power play.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Brossoit is brought up a fair bit. As is Demelo. Why wouldn't they both stay in a winning program in Winnipeg? Cap?
Same with Stolarz. Florida has half the roster as ufa. Why would he move, he can win there.

Neither team is going to give them starter money for sitting on the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad