Confirmed Buy-Out Korpikoski (EDM), Carle (TB), Seidenberg (BOS), Greene (LA), Jackman (NSH)

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
So 2 of them were "close to being able to play at the end of the season". That's mighty convenient.

The Kings loaded up with Versteeg, Lecavalier and Schenn using Greene's/Gaborik's cap space.

Look, there's a chance that it could be a coincidence, but I'm just not sure I buy it.

Of course it would help if teams were more transparent about injuries...

Greene didn't play in the playoffs and Gaborik didn't return until game 2.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So 2 of them were "close to being able to play at the end of the season". That's mighty convenient.

The Kings loaded up with Versteeg, Lecavalier and Schenn using Greene's/Gaborik's cap space.

Look, there's a chance that it could be a coincidence, but I'm just not sure I buy it.

How many players get injured near the beginning of one season and have their recovery bleed over into the next year?

And yeah it really benefited us to have our depleted awful d-corps keep Matt Greene on the bench in the playoffs when cap doesn't matter so we could keep up the appearances or something. And you're trying to have it both ways--either Matt Greene was healthy and we cheated, or Matt Greene is unhealthy and we're cheating.

You don't even know what you're arguing anymore. Just knock it off. These guys are trending towards normal recovery times and you're not owed injury reporting.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Rosan the kings insider said he was ahead of schedule in his rehab and would be ready for training camp

As a point of note: he would have to be ready to play today to be bought out. Not just projected to be recovered by training camp.

For the fifth time, my point is not only with Greene.

3 players that played a combine 10 games this year due to sever injuries were bought out as "healthy". The odds that all three of these players could pass a physical now and not near the end of the season is pretty low.

What I'm saying is, I don't buy that all three were "injured" at the end of the season. Two of them might have, but to have all three pass now after not being able to suit up when their teams were fighting for playoff spots is ridiculous. Then again, it could be a freak coincidence. The LTIR spot may be being abused here.

The CBA doesn't obligate teams to activate a player off LTIR once they're healthy. Though I imagine if a team went an extended period of time not activating a recovered player the PA might file a grievance on the player's behalf.

And one other tidbit not related to the quoted posts: if any of these players believe they are not healthy enough to play hockey right now there is a dispute process where they can challenge the buyout team doctor evaluations with independent physicians.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
Serious question...what does a team have to pay to pick up Matt Carle off waivers? Thanks/

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Serious question...what does a team have to pay to pick up Matt Carle off waivers? Thanks/

It would have cost a team $11,250 to claim Carle.

By lack of news though, I would say he cleared waivers and presumably was bought out. Wish they would be a little more clear though.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It would have cost a team $11,250 to claim Carle.

By lack of news though, I would say he cleared waivers and presumably was bought out. Wish they would be a little more clear though.

Cost would be $125 to claim him as he was placed on Unconditional Waivers. Regular Waivers price would have been $11.25k.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Carle was that bad? I just thought he was grossly overpaid

He's been that bad for 3 years, but it was only this most recent year that Coop and the FO appeared to figure out that no one was going to trade for him and scratched him liberally. I think the idea might have been to try to Brewer him off on someone, but no one took the bait.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
He's been that bad for 3 years, but it was only this most recent year that Coop and the FO appeared to figure out that no one was going to trade for him and scratched him liberally. I think the idea might have been to try to Brewer him off on someone, but no one took the bait.

No he hasn't. Was put with poor partners and was expected to shoulder the load all by himself. Again, not worth 5.5, but he will fit in with someone nicely.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
No he hasn't. Was put with poor partners and was expected to shoulder the load all by himself. Again, not worth 5.5, but he will fit in with someone nicely.

Between constantly taking too long to make decision on the breakout, making poor passes in front of the crease, and his pathetic wrister he has been atrocious.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

Wisniewski had ACL surgery on October 9 and the timetable for recovery was listed as six months (April). There were no reported setbacks and he was skating towards the end of the season. It's not "convenient" that he was ready right around the time he was scheduled to be.

And the Hurricanes were not fighting for a playoff spot down the stretch. Did you not miss them selling at the deadline? Wisniewski didn't play because there was no point in rushing him back to play meaningless games.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Would another team have to take over his contract?

Well, yeah, that's the point of claiming a player off waivers.

Though you'd expect to rarely see a team claim a player being waived for buyout. If another team is willing to take the contract they can usually contact the waiving team and offer to take the player in return for a negative asset or salary retention. Potentially acquiring the player at a lower "price" then just claiming them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad