Confirmed with Link: Korpi signs new 2 year deal

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
And there's your expansion list goalie.

He didn't have to be signed to a contract to be exposed, so this had nothing to do with that.

From the expansion draft rules on a requirements for an exposed goalie (I bolded the important part)

One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list

All they had to do was qualify him to expose him.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The timing is interesting though, and suggests that the Jackets know exactly who Vegas is taking in the draft (not really a surprise). Otherwise, there's really no rush to get him signed right now. But you could spin it either way regarding Korpi staying or going:

1) Jackets know Vegas isn't taking Korpi - it has been rumored that they were making a deal to protect him and maybe that has been finalized. Plan is for Korpi to back up Bob again, so now they went ahead and got him signed.

2) Rumor mentioned above was a smokescreen and Jackets actually want Vegas to take Korpi instead of say Karlsson or others. Vegas said they would but part of the stipulation was that he was already under contract for 2 years at a reasonable cost. With 2-year deal, he is still an RFA at the end. Vegas maybe didn't want to take the chance of him filing for arbitration if he wasn't signed.

I think option 1 is the most likely.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The timing is interesting though, and suggests that the Jackets know exactly who Vegas is taking in the draft (not really a surprise). Otherwise, there's really no rush to get him signed right now. But you could spin it either way regarding Korpi staying or going:

1) Jackets know Vegas isn't taking Korpi - it has been rumored that they were making a deal to protect him and maybe that has been finalized. Plan is for Korpi to back up Bob again, so now they went ahead and got him signed.

2) Rumor mentioned above was a smokescreen and Jackets actually want Vegas to take Korpi instead of say Karlsson or others. Vegas said they would but part of the stipulation was that he was already under contract for 2 years at a reasonable cost. With 2-year deal, he is still an RFA at the end. Vegas maybe didn't want to take the chance of him filing for arbitration if he wasn't signed.

I think option 1 is the most likely.

I was thinking something like this, too. Not that they know exactly who LV is taking, but that they know it's not Korp, or that they know it is.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He didn't have to be signed to a contract to be exposed, so this had nothing to do with that.

From the expansion draft rules on a requirements for an exposed goalie (I bolded the important part)

All they had to do was qualify him to expose him.

In my best blah voice..."I knew that".

:rant: :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad