Koon and Duper Over the Last Two Seasons: Is This the New Normal?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Player|GP|G|A|P|PPG|P Rank|+/-

Chris Kunitz|130|48|65|113|0.87|8|46
Pascal Dupuis|130|45|52|97|0.75|25|49

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

i'd like to step away from two particular 'issues': (1) obviously these two are benefiting tremendously from playing with Crosby (and in the case of Kunitz, playing last year with Malkin and Neal) and (2) KCD is a post-season plague that will doom this team...

now that we got those two thoughts out of the way, do you think the level of production that these two have shown over the last two seasons is representative of a genuine 'new level' of play or are we witnessing an extended aberration?

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think last year will be their career years. But we can at least count on Kunitz to stay a ~60 point guy and Dupes to stay a ~50 point guy for the next couple seasons so long as they stay on scoring lines. Still great deals.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Kunitz had a career year and will settle back into 60 points over 82 games. Duper is hard to tell since prior to 11-12, his career high was 48 points with a bunch of lower seasons around it. I expect him somewhere in the 45-55 range but who knows.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
dont really care about their regular season numbers, i just know the sooner dupuis is off sid's line the better this team will be.

you can say that about every player in the league if you assume that the reason they are moving off of the line is because they are being replaced by a better player.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No, sorry... it's not the new normal.

They are both fine players but we shouldn't expect the same production that we've seen for even the first halves of their new contracts. Who knows about the second half.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Dupuis is creating a lot more on his own, as evidenced by his team-leading (by far) iFenwick. he shot the puck towards the net 60 more times than any other Pen. I don't see the other areas of his game (speed, tenacity, willingness to go to difficult areas, and feel for his linemates) declining just yet so as long as his shooting keeps improving he should maintain his production.

Kunitz is bound to regress a bit thanks to a ridiculous sh% last year, but not by much.

Age is obviously a factor in the coming seasons, but considering their career arcs (esp Dupuis) relative to what general expectations are for almost any player, it's safe to say that predicting a decline from here on out might not be the safest bet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dupuis is creating a lot more on his own, as evidenced by his team-leading (by far) iFenwick. he shot the puck towards the net 60 more times than any other Pen. I don't see the other areas of his game (speed, tenacity, willingness to go to difficult areas, and feel for his linemates) declining just yet so as long as his shooting keeps improving he should maintain his production.

Kunitz is bound to regress a bit thanks to a ridiculous sh% last year, but not by much.

Age is obviously a factor in the coming seasons, but considering their career arcs (esp Dupuis) relative to what general expectations are for almost any player, it's safe to say that predicting a decline from here on out might not be the safest bet.

Can you find that fenwick stat for the playoffs only? I think Dupuis is a great player for Sid against most defenses honestly. Its when the other team is able to focus on defending that line so well that it needs broken up. To me Dupuis just seems to struggle against top defenders. In general, he is good at creating his own offense and driving the play in our direction. That is exactly why I think he would have been so good on our 3rd line. I think a Dupuis-led 3rd line would have given Boston fits.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
They're approaching their mid-30s. No, it's not the new normal but they may produce at similar levels the next year or two before tapering off.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
They're approaching their mid-30s. No, it's not the new normal but they may produce at similar levels the next year or two before tapering off.

if their production is at a similar level for two more seasons wouldn't that necessarily mean that this level of production is the 'new normal' for them? that would mean that the pens got four seasons of a 70 point-pace Koon and four seasons of a 60 point-pace Duper...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They're fine. Scoring isn't an issue for this team, the Bs series not withstanding, and the overall wing situation is the best it's been in the Crosby era.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I could see Dupuis producing for a couple-three more years; I think Kunitz will fall off sooner than Dupuis. I think they could produce at the same pace next year, but that will be it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I expect them to each perform well during the term of their contracts, with the KCD line broken up when Bennett shows he's clearly ready to be Sid's full time winger. At that point I expect to see Bennett on the right side of Sid, with Dupuis on the left, and Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal.

With those lines, Dupuis would continue to score at the same PPG as he has in the past two seasons, and Kunitz will decline some, but the Malkin line will benefit greatly.

I think those lines can be effective for 3-4 years, with both Sid and Malkin each pushing 50g's per season, Kunitz around 15/45, and Dupuis around 25/25. Each of Kunitz and Dupuis will anchor their lines defensively, Sid's line will become defensively dominant, and Geno's will improve to average to slightly above average depending on Malkin's personal commitment to defensive hockey.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Pens are falling into a very bad trap of keeping 30+ veterans who they're comfortable with instead of getting younger players who might be raw but might remove the level of complacency that has set in with this team as well as the management and coaching staff.;)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pens are falling into a very bad trap of keeping 30+ veterans who they're comfortable with instead of getting younger players who might be raw but might remove the level of complacency that has set in with this team as well as the management and coaching staff.;)

We'd all prefer 22 year old high-upside wingers but the fact remains they're not in the system or on the open market.

Pens Junky

Oct 26, 2011
Ontario
Unloading our picks on fails like Iggy and bMo don't help either. I guess it's the gamble you take when you go for it. It took the Pens two years to load up the blue line... I think if we shift our focus to skilled forwards we should be alright.

Hopefully BB steps his game up next year...

If we could hit on a guy like Blueger, Guentzel or Sundqvist that would be sweet.

At the end of the day though, Sid enjoys playing with Dups and Kunny... I'd give it another year before we shake the boat. One healthy season would be nice. See what that line is really made of.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They're fine. Scoring isn't an issue for this team, the Bs series not withstanding, and the overall wing situation is the best it's been in the Crosby era.

I disagree. I think 08 was better. Dupuis-Hossa, Malone-Sykora was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00