Kolzig or Markkanen - One to be dealt

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

As the Red Wings are now preparing to enter negotiations with potential UFA's, management has to make a decison on it's goaltending future. With Lundqvist ready for play next season one of Kolzig or Markkanen will not be returning and if Markkanen is resigned he cannot, as per league rules, be dealt until well after next years all-star break.

Kolzig is a 79OV currently and given his revitalised play this season should project out about the same for next. That said trading Kolzig would pretty much kill my season so I won't trade him for nothing. - Therefore I expect to see trade offers from my conference rivals ;)
The younger and much cheaper Markkanen could also be dealt should the right offer be presented.

The only stipulation in offers is that I cannot take offers where the number of pieces offered (players/prospects/picks) is greater than being traded away. As I am retooling, age will be a key consideration in the assessment of any deal offered.

HFNHL Red Wings

With Markkanen starting the last 3 consecutive games speculation is growing in Detroit as to whether a Kolzig deal is imminent. GM Niece has refused comment to date on when a deal may be announced or even with which teams negotiations are being held.

HFNHL Red Wings

Detroit today confirmed that Olaf Kolzig has been traded to Washington along with Jason Doig. In return the Wings received steady defensive defenceman Rhett Warrener and a 2nd round pick in 2007.

The Red Wings also announced that Antero Niittymaki has been signed to backup Jussi Markkanen.

The team believes Markkanen can take on the duties given his strong play so far this season. Markkanen is undefeated in 12 games (9 of them starts) which includes 2 shutouts and a spectacular 1.48GAA and .942 save %.

GM Niece will now open negotiations with pending UFA's Jussi Markkanen, Kris Draper, and Todd White. Fortunately with Lundqvist, Boyes, Jokinen, and Miettinen all looking ready for next season the team will have the option to just walk away should Reggie get unreasonable in his contract demands.

Although the team still needs to nogotiate a new deal for RFA Brent Sopel the blueline for the 2006/07 is set with Lidstrom, Warrener, Malik, Sopel, Sarich, and Van Ryn giving the team a healthy mix of puck movers and defensive dmen.
That leaves Jiri Fischer (assuming he returns), Jamie Heward, Denis Wideman, Staffan Kronwall, Max Kondratiev, and possibly Jay Harrison all fighting for the 7th spot next season. Few expect all to still be Detroit by next year as the team looks to package players in a deal to address the glaring need for top end talent at the forward position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad