Recalled/Assigned: Koekkoek to Syracuse | Taormina recalled

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hmm and I thought Nesterov whiffing on a shot and falling on his ass was enough to get Koekkoek in there.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
This makes no sense. Could it be that a trade is in the works or what?

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Weird and disappointing. At least he'll be getting some playing time. I think Nesterov has been awful the first 3 games.

Nesty has struggled and we were thinking KoekKoek would get a chance to push him for that #6 slot. A guy just skated right around Nesty and in on Bish last night like he was a traffic cone.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Has to be. If that isn't what this is, I have no clue. This is getting ridiculous

If we were going to trade him, why would we have signed him? We'd also be seeing him on the PP a lot more.

I think this just is what it is. Another guy being forced down, despite looking (by all non-insider accounts) more deserving of the playing time.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Well it could be just to get KK some games. He already is the #6D and so they are just trying to choose between Tamorina and Nesty for #7D or decide which guy to trade.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well it could be just to get KK some games. He already is the #6D and so they are just trying to choose between Tamorina and Nesty for #7D or decide which guy to trade.

Taormina was a disaster last year, I'm surprised he was recalled figured he'd be down in Syracuse all year.

I don't see a trade, the return wouldn't be worth just keeping him as a depth player unless it's for an upgrade but we have Koekkoek so that's not needed. I really think Yzerman wants to find that puck moving defenseman bad and doesn't want to give up on them. He did this with Barberio and now Nesterov is going down the same path, Yzerman will keep him till he has no value then let him go unsigned. Koekkoek is right there better than either one, put in more time in the AHL than Nesterov and still isn't getting a true chance.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Taormina was a disaster last year, I'm surprised he was recalled figured he'd be down in Syracuse all year.

I don't see a trade, the return wouldn't be worth just keeping him as a depth player unless it's for an upgrade but we have Koekkoek so that's not needed. I really think Yzerman wants to find that puck moving defenseman bad and doesn't want to give up on them. He did this with Barberio and now Nesterov is going down the same path, Yzerman will keep him till he has no value then let him go unsigned. Koekkoek is right there better than either one, put in more time in the AHL than Nesterov and still isn't getting a true chance.

Nesty does have the offensive upside but frankly the D needs to be better. In my opinion Nesty is the weakest link so in that respect this is an odd move by the Bolts.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My guess is Koekkoek is back after Syracuse plays their back-to-back games this weekend. We're probably trying to keep him in game shape, much like we did with Vasy last year. Coop won't change the lineup while we're winning.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This makes no sense whatsoever from an outside perspective. Nesterov had one decent game and 2 very bad one. Meanwhile, Koekkoek was a revelation the last time he was playing in the NHL, he looked ready to take another step forward. I can't get my head around this decision, there must be something we're not aware of.

Nesterov is not going to be traded though, he has zero value and his cap-hit is ridiculously small, salary-cap wise. He'll be put on waivers and buried in AHL if anything.

Redskev

Oct 14, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
Good for Koekkoek to get some game minutes up in Syracuse, but I think he should be getting them in Tampa. Be interesting to see what happensp when he gets called back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad