Confirmed with Link: Kochetkov extended for 4 years x 2mil AAV

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
honestly dude not just athletes, really just all of life.
1671562200026.png

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Its genuinely impressive that the only goalie who hasn't looked at the very least competent behind the current iteration of our defense with Slavin and Pesce is Darling, a goalie that set a new bar on just how shitty a goaltender can be in the NHL.
He’s found a home on the Blackhawks pre/post/intermission shows…

Attachments

• 20443808-FD17-4D0E-BC3F-C57DB3C9C170.jpeg
    20443808-FD17-4D0E-BC3F-C57DB3C9C170.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I still can’t believe we got this kid locked up for 4 years at $2 mill after this season. If management had waited until now to make this deal I think this contract would have been significantly higher. Props to management for being on top of things.
Based on a Waddell interview it sounds like he just took advantage of an over eager agent. We don’t know why Koochie switched but he did, and Waddell says the new agent immediately called him and wanted to get something done. DW says they’re always interested in getting the younger talent that they think are legit extended so they just went with it. He said it was a risk both ways but from our end he suspected for obvious reasons it would be fine. He looks like at least a backup even at that time so it was a smart risk from our side.

DW in the end just acted appropriately to an agent who misplayed his hand pretty hard. I questioned why we signed him when we did, now that I know it was the agents idea….so be it. I just hope the kid makes it longer than four years so he can get more cash out of his NHL career because 8 cut in half for taxes, then paying the agent and other ancillary costs….

I ain’t gonna cry a river for anyone with that much money but he’s very much a kid following any and all advice right now and I think his agent was in a hurry.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think it shows how much confidence plays a part in any athlete, but especially goaltending. If you're not confident you can make a save, it's noticable, not only to your team, but to the opposing one as well
Well that and having a bucket of chicken wings hidden in your equipment.

Reactions: geehaad

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Based on a Waddell interview it sounds like he just took advantage of an over eager agent. We don’t know why Koochie switched but he did, and Waddell says the new agent immediately called him and wanted to get something done. DW says they’re always interested in getting the younger talent that they think are legit extended so they just went with it. He said it was a risk both ways but from our end he suspected for obvious reasons it would be fine. He looks like at least a backup even at that time so it was a smart risk from our side.

DW in the end just acted appropriately to an agent who misplayed his hand pretty hard. I questioned why we signed him when we did, now that I know it was the agents idea….so be it. I just hope the kid makes it longer than four years so he can get more cash out of his NHL career because 8 cut in half for taxes, then paying the agent and other ancillary costs….

I ain’t gonna cry a river for anyone with that much money but he’s very much a kid following any and all advice right now and I think his agent was in a hurry.
I wonder if the fact that he'd had to play on so many teams in recent years made him care more about being in a stable situation for once. That doesn't mean they didn't make a mistake with the contract in the long run, of course. Time will tell. Just something I wonder about.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder if the fact that he'd had to play on so many teams in recent years made him care more about being in a stable situation for once. That doesn't mean they didn't make a mistake with the contract in the long run, of course. Time will tell. Just something I wonder about.
I think there’s something to that. There was/is an unstable feeling about the guy and his last couple of years. I know we don’t think of that as a big deal as fans, but we don’t write the checks. I can see the urge to capitalize on some early success but that comes off as even the agent believing that his early success had a good chance of being a flash in the pan. Maybe Koochie pushed him because he himself wanted that stability like you say (and needed the money), and the agent just followed orders.

Feels rushed from his side now. Especially four years that don’t start until next year.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If Koochie remains a #1 throughout his 4 year contract, that’s so huge for the Stanley Cup window. Not often you get a #1 goalie for $2m for 4-5 seasons. That really opens up about $3 mill of cap space every year during our current window to spend elsewhere for roster improvements and keeping guys retained.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think there’s something to that. There was/is an unstable feeling about the guy and his last couple of years. I know we don’t think of that as a big deal as fans, but we don’t write the checks. I can see the urge to capitalize on some early success but that comes off as even the agent believing that his early success had a good chance of being a flash in the pan. Maybe Koochie pushed him because he himself wanted that stability like you say (and needed the money), and the agent just followed orders.

Feels rushed from his side now. Especially four years that don’t start until next year.
I mean, if I were in his shoes and the alternative is possibly having to go back home to Russia if things don't work out, I might be keen on getting a medium term contract on the books, even if it is a bit discounted.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If Koochie remains a #1 throughout his 4 year contract, that’s so huge for the Stanley Cup window. Not often you get a #1 goalie for $2m for 4-5 seasons. That really opens up about $3 mill of cap space every year during our current window to spend elsewhere for roster improvements and keeping guys retained.
Yeah, it'll really help a lot when time comes to get the Slavin and Pesce extensions in order, because we're not gonna get them on those sweetheart deals again.

I mean, if I were in his shoes and the alternative is possibly having to go back home to Russia if things don't work out, I might be keen on getting a medium term contract on the books, even if it is a bit discounted.
Yeah, and the total collapse of the ruble may factor in too. Getting $8 million guaranteed in US dollars is a big win when your native currency is doing what it's doing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s so “Aw shucks..” about his success so far it seems pretty clear he doesn’t assume he was destined for greatness. I’m guessing the bouncing around did some work on his confidence. Like I said if he’s at least a legit 1b kind of goalie I hope he lasts long enough to make someone overpay him on his next contract. You know it won’t be us.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I still can’t believe we got this kid locked up for 4 years at $2 mill after this season. If management had waited until now to make this deal I think this contract would have been significantly higher. Props to management for being on top of things.

This is a great example of the Borg not being afraid to make a move because of the chance it might not work out. Same with the KK contract, and to a lesser extent I'd even add signing Noessen last summer for a minimum of $550k this season and a 1-way next year. Every move isn't going to work out, but the overall net seems to be trending well on the positive side.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

I was going to respond to your first post with what you essentially said in your follow up post, lol. Given that Koochie just replaced his old agent with a new one, the Occam's Razor principle would seem to suggest that rather than the agent pushing a quick contract, it was Koochie behind the directive.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Yeah, it'll really help a lot when time comes to get the Slavin and Pesce extensions in order, because we're not gonna get them on those sweetheart deals again.
I think we'll be able to keep Slavin on a deal that is considerably less than he is truly worth to us, considering how much points influence what defensemen get paid. More than what he makes now but not significantly higher to the point where it has a big impact on our team's cap structure.

Pesce will be tough to keep for a contract less than the value he offers us on the ice, which will impact the cap for sure, if we decide to keep him. I think we'll decide between Skjei and Pesce, possible dependent on how things play out with prospects like Morrow, Heimosalmi, even Nikishin. If those guys develop like we hope in the next 1-2 years we could use some of those goalie cap savings on forward/scoring instead.

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I was about to mention the same thing. Kochetkov’s contract was up this summer. If he’s not under a current contract with the Canes, is he obligated to go back to Russia?

I can see wanting to sign a deal to prevent that. And while it’s relatively low for his RFA years, it also takes him straight to UFA buying out 0 UFA years.

Kochetkov is also gambling on himself and it could pay off very nicely in 4 years with a much larger cap.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
8 million dollars is financial security for life.

An undersold aspect of this, is how playing goalie for this roster is going to build up his value over those 4 years.

Someone paid Nedelkovic 3mx2. And Mrazek 3.8x3. We know now neither even belong in the NHL.

It's crazy realizing this franchise has had 1 good goaltender in this playoff stretch in Anderson last year. And they've never had a good goaltender during the playoffs.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I was about to mention the same thing. Kochetkov’s contract was up this summer. If he’s not under a current contract with the Canes, is he obligated to go back to Russia?

I can see wanting to sign a deal to prevent that. And while it’s relatively low for his RFA years, it also takes him straight to UFA buying out 0 UFA years.

Kochetkov is also gambling on himself and it could pay off very nicely in 4 years with a much larger cap.
I am by no means a visa expert, but I think he would have a P-1 visa which could be valid for him to stay in the US up to 5 years regardless of contract status as long as he had the contract upfront to get the visa. So I don't think that's it. He certainly wouldn't get sent back just while negotiating a new contract as the previous one expired, at some point he would if he couldn't get a contract at all, but it wouldn't be that immediate.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I am by no means a visa expert, but I think he would have a P-1 visa which could be valid for him to stay in the US up to 5 years regardless of contract status as long as he had the contract upfront to get the visa. So I don't think that's it. He certainly wouldn't get sent back just while negotiating a new contract as the previous one expired, at some point he would if he couldn't get a contract at all, but it wouldn't be that immediate.
Good to know. Although there’s also the issue of going back as an RFA and being pressured to sign at home, either by his own family or the KHL. Now he doesn’t have to deal with KHL stuff for 4 years.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
So when happens when Andersen is back?

To me Kochetkov has played too well to go to AHL. So do they waive Raanta maybe and hope no one claims him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad