Movies: Knives Out (Rian Johnson)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Watched it last night

It was pretty good, though I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a comedy, or just a mystery

I'd give it a 6.5/10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As a major TLJ disliker, I’m excited to see this movie regardless of RJ’s involvement. He may have made a bad Star Wars movie but this looks like a fun movie and I honestly can’t wait to see it

Saw it last week and I absolutely loved it. I want to go see it in theaters again. RJ did a fantastic job setting the tone and the cast played their roles perfectly.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I was reading a couple Hercule Poirot novels this month and man did that shitty Kenneth Branagh adaptation of Poirot miss the mark completely while Knives Out captured the best aspects of a Christie film (a good detective, good deduction, the crime coming together bit by bit, and a very juicy set of lies being revealed as the film goes on by a mischievous group of liars).

Kinda wish it was RJ who directed and made the Poirot adaptation but he has spoken about Agatha Chrisite's work before and hopefully he stays true to form. What a lot of shitty mystery film or TV adaptations miss (like those crappy BBC productions) is that the best part of a whodunnit is not the actual murder. Don't waste time showing the murder or the suspense of the murder. We're also not interested in the background or psychological struggles of the detective (this is where BBC's Sherlock went downhill in season 3). The best part is the actual mystery, how it's done, and the detective picking it apart bit by bit with a great reveal at the end. Johnson took an unconventional approach to doing this but that is basically what he ended up doing.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Just watched this, and wow. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

I'm also pretty sure I'm in love with Ana De Armas, she's such a rocket, played her role to a TEE here as well. Same with Chris Evans, never really thought of him as an amazing actor, but he did a really good job here.

Solid, solid movie.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just watched this, and wow. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

I'm also pretty sure I'm in love with Ana De Armas, she's such a rocket, played her role to a TEE here as well. Same with Chris Evans, never really thought of him as an amazing actor, but he did a really good job here.

Solid, solid movie.

Chris Evans is a good actor when he needs to be. Very charismatic dude.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched. I loved it. My second favorite movie from last year after Jojo Rabbit. Just overtakes Ford v Ferrari at the finishline due to me being familiar with the story/history in that movie so nothing was of surprise. Just well acted, written and directed. 9/10.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
it was enjoyable because of the acting, but really not that great of a movie without such a freakshow cast

6.5/10

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Just watched it last night, loved it. Highly, highly, entertaining... with a just a bit of social conscience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad