Movies: Knives Out (Rian Johnson)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems like Clue, which I really like. The fact that Rian Johnson wrote it isn't encouraging, though. I didn't recognize Ana de Armas.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the murderer is Ana de Armas' character. There's little other reason to cast a rising young actress known for her stunning looks and then hide them and make her look unassuming and innocent. She also recently had such a turn (from damsel to villain) in that film Knock Knock. Johnson seems like the sort who's proud of himself and would think that no one would ever guess that her character is the culprit, so it wouldn't surprise me if she is.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Looks cheesy as hell but can't argue with that cast...well...actually yeah I can. Murder in the Orient Express was pretty underwhelming.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This looks like fun, and seems to be a director, using his clout from one's of the big franchises, to put together a movie that wouldn't otherwise be made.

My only issue is that he has to go to another studio to do it. Disney's being this behemoth that dominates the box office is the reality right now, and I wish they'd stand behind these directors who make them a ton of money and finance a passion project or two.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This one's getting amazing reviews.

Knives Out (2019)

This definitely looks like a film worth a trip to the theatre. I'm hoping to see it next weekend.

This feels like the type of film that studios should be trying to make. Get a big name cast, a director with the enough name value and a unique style and a fun premise.

It's not an easy formula to duplicate, but better than continuing to fail with third rate franchises.

This (hopefully), Ford vs Ferrari, Hustlers and Once Upon a time in Hollywood shows it can work.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm going to The Report tonight. After that, I suspect I am really going to need a movie like Knives Out.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The fact that Rian Johnson wrote it isn't encouraging, though.

Why? He missed the mark on Star Wars, but we can all understand, I'm sure, that he was rather shackled on that project like every writer/director would be.

Movies where he was given free reign to operate - Looper, Brick were unique, stylish and overall quite great (I didn't catch Brothers Bloom).

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As a major TLJ disliker, I’m excited to see this movie regardless of RJ’s involvement. He may have made a bad Star Wars movie but this looks like a fun movie and I honestly can’t wait to see it

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He’s good when he can be the creative mind behind it all. Star Wars didn’t give him that luxury.

I actually like TFA and TLJ, they just don't fit together.

If he made the first film instead of the second then maybe things could have worked out better with the next director continuing his work. Instead it just seemed like him and JJ fundamentally disagreed on what a new Star Wars series should even be, resulting in the trilogy being completely f***ed.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I actually like TFA and TLJ, they just don't fit together.

If he made the first film instead of the second then maybe things could have worked out better with the next director continuing his work. Instead it just seemed like him and JJ fundamentally disagreed on what a new Star Wars series should even be, resulting in the trilogy being completely ****ed.

Agreed for sure.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think if he'd been given a Star Wars movie where he was creating new characters and stories he would have probably been okay. Or at least there would have been less vitriol if it didn't go over well.

yup. That’s why I was excited when they announced his own trilogy. Thought he could do some fun stuff.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad