Line Combos: Knies and Minten together?

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Been loving Knies and Minten together in pre season and was wondering if you guys thought that should be something we run for a bit at the start of the season

Something like:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Domi - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Minten - Jarnkrok
Lafferty - Kampf - Reaves

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Minten would have to make the team first.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Don’t know how credible this is:
IMG_2829.jpeg

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Looks like they're throwing him a bone before sending him down, to encourage him. Very positive move.

I liked Minten at centre the bit I saw, and can see them playing together in a year or two.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's not going to say he doesn't have a chance.
Maybe they'll surprise us and keep him, that would be interesting.

Reaves doesn't count and I like Holmberg myself.
Lafferty is doubtful to finish the season anyway.

No he's not going to say he doesn't have a shot, at the same time he's been better then guys like Holmberg, Lafferty, Robertson etc..

He's earned a spot?

Will he get it? who knows, but he's earned it

Reactions: ULF_55

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You
He's not going to say he doesn't have a chance.
Maybe they'll surprise us and keep him, that would be interesting.

Reaves doesn't count and I like Holmberg myself.
Lafferty is doubtful to finish the season anyway.
You may like Holmberg, but Minten has show him a clean pair of heels this preseason. He's been meh to mildly disappointing, which is not a great outcome for him. Can't create much, and has had lanes and looks but has done nothing with them.

Reactions: nuck

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No he's not going to say he doesn't have a shot, at the same time he's been better then guys like Holmberg, Lafferty, Robertson etc..

He's earned a spot?

Will he get it? who knows, but he's earned it
Yep they may dump Lafferty for him but I still think the simplest move is to send him back.
I’d keep Holmberg myself. Cap will rule everything though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yep they may dump Lafferty for him but I still think the simplest move is to send him back.
I’d keep Holmberg myself. Cap will rule everything though.

I think he's going back but I also think 2 things can be true.

1 he's going back.

2 he's been better than AT LEAST Sam Lafferty and therefore has earned and deserves a spot.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think he's going back but I also think 2 things can be true.

1 he's going back.

2 he's been better than AT LEAST Sam Lafferty and therefore has earned and deserves a spot.
Perhaps. I don’t believe decision are made solely on exhibition games but rather the entire camp.

Regardless, deserves isn’t always the number 1 consideration that teams use. Such is life for young players

Reactions: Menzinger

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’d be extremely pleased if Minten was given the chance to show he belongs. What little I’ve seen, he’s in the running, and while I’d suggest caution, if he were given a chance and played well…ya, go for it.
We are a solid group. I don’t think special. But, if a surprise or two should jump out: Lily and ??? That would be a big bonus.
I’m not saying ‘play him’, but I’d be willing to see the potential played out.
This team needs a spark. Knies, yes. I’m hoping that over the year Robertson and someone (Minten?) adds ‘that’ element.
9 games, go for it if you think it’s deserved.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If Klingberg is hurt, but not hurt enough to go on IR, they are going to need to carry and extra D man. This means waiving lafferty,

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When the Leafs were eliminated in the spring I made the joke that the Leafs and Jays were eliminated from contention in the same month….based on the number of unknowns in the Leafs lineup and their D, September is eerily similar to April.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Never to be forgotten that many players can look like world beaters in the preseason then once the speed and intensity ramps up in the regular season they fade. That doesn't mean you don't give an early audition to that young player who has done very well in the preseason but you temper your expectations. There's a certain deja vu to Minten as a Matt Stajan type of prospect who understands the pro game at an early age and is mostly physically ready to handle the pro game. I don't agree with giving this audition 100% however. Minten got banged up often last season, at camp and during the junior season, it's probably too early to expose him regularly to the big boys. We can wait as we've got other options (Holmberg).

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I really like whats minten show but it was pre-season against team B

Did he look good? Yes for sure

Did he showed enough to justify to keep him over jarnkrok or lafferty in top 9? Not sure

Minten if hes playing this season, he will get what 20-30 pts maybe with a defensive impact? Exactly whats we can expect from lafferty. I dont think thats making sense to keep him this season

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd be down with the 9 game try out idea if they put Timmins on LTIR to start the season and he keeps looking good the rest of the way in pre-season. Hard to say how he'll do with full lineups, a short trial run may a good idea to gauge where he is at.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Knies & Minten on the same line might not be what some believe is the Leafs starting cap complaint roster.

Don't be surprised if it means they're also currently out of the mix for cap reasons.

Knies may start the year in the AHL and Minten returned to junior so that the Leafs keep a player like Lafferty and perhaps an extra goalie in Jones and signing Noah Gregor to a contract after meeting opening night cap compliance limits. With Timmins injury as well as Klingberg's ailment at present Leafs are going to need to carry a 7th Dman also like Simon Benoit on the roster.

Noboby says "Play the Kids" more than me, but just saying that line is not a guaranteed to stay, but rather the ones that might go because of asset and cap management reasons over players performance of those waiver exempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00