Speculation: Klingberg or Kadri ?

Who would you sign?

• C - Nazem Kadri, 7-8M

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • RD - John Klingberg 6-7M

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Somebody else, lesser player for cheaper.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nobody. Team is ready for a season.

Votes: 55 49.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Didn't say they did?

I said I would be willing to tank for 10 years for players like that.

Well the good news for us is Detroit ended up with Mo Seider, who was arguably a top 10 defenseman as a rookie. Lucas Raymond who was a top 25 RW in his rookie season, and Dylan Larkin who was a top 15 center last season.

And Detroit could very well draft their Rantanen in 2023, Kasper could become a Landeskog-ish player and Edvinsson could become an exceptional top pairing defender.

We'll be fine.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Well the good news for us is Detroit ended up with Mo Seider, who was arguably a top 10 defenseman as a rookie. Lucas Raymond who was a top 25 RW in his rookie season, and Dylan Larkin who was a top 15 center last season.

And Detroit could very well draft their Rantanen in 2023, Kasper could become a Landeskog-ish player and Edvinsson could become an exceptional top pairing defender.

We'll be fine.

I edited my original post and responded further about Colorado.

I do agree they could be fine. I believe in this thread a couple weeks back or so I have stated I support going forward as we are. I understand the circumstances we have with guys like Larkin and Bert and emergence of guys like Seider and Raymond coming sooner than I'm sure anyone expected.

I'm very hopeful Seider and Edvinsson with their size and ability can create a defensive core that other teams can't match. We are on track to potentially be able to sustain forward depth. I have confidence that Yzerman will be able to maintain a culture that gets us reasonable contracts on these players going forward.

However, I will still jump in and support guys getting overly criticized for supporting tanking and rebuilding as I believe that's a proper method to building a cup potentiol team.

Again, as mentioned before. If guys like Edvinsson and Kasper don't pan out, we could end up in no mans land and backtracking. However, I do believe in those two guys, otherwise I would be very against going forward at this time.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
However, I will still jump in and support guys getting overly criticized for supporting tanking and rebuilding as I believe that's a proper method to building a cup potentiol team.
No one was criticized for suggesting tanking and rebuilding as a proper method, so good job putting up a defense against.... no one? That's what the Wings did, they tanked and now they are rebuilding, and no one here complained about it. The only people complaining are the ones who think we should continue tanking, despite being at a stage where free agents want to come here, we have a captain who is up for contract negotiations, and a bunch of youngsters who would certainly be damaged by intentionally putting a shit team on the ice.

It's dumb-dumb territory to suggest that Detroit has to tank for X number of years until they've accumulated some inexact amount of star prospects so that they don't get stuck in the middle ground of good-but-not-great territory and can jump right into top-team territory. Eeeeeeeexcept every team has to trudge through the middle ground to get to Cup contention, regardless of strategy. It's A) fantasy land to suggest otherwise, and B) blatantly ignoring all the problems with tanking too long, as has been seen with other franchises and described on this forum ad nauseum at this point.

I mean, damn, what a miserable approach, to think "hey, we've got these high-end prospects like Edvinsson and Kasper, but between the risk of them flaming out and the prospects who've already turned into impact NHLers possibly not being good enough, we should just keep tanking until..... Stanley Cup? Gross. I hate it.

Steve Yzerman didn't come back to Detroit to tank the team for his first 10 years. He, and this franchise, are better than that.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No one was criticized for suggesting tanking and rebuilding as a proper method, so good job putting up a defense against.... no one? That's what the Wings did, they tanked and now they are rebuilding, and no one here complained about it. The only people complaining are the ones who think we should continue tanking, despite being at a stage where free agents want to come here, we have a captain who is up for contract negotiations, and a bunch of youngsters who would certainly be damaged by intentionally putting a shit team on the ice.

It's dumb-dumb territory to suggest that Detroit has to tank for X number of years until they've accumulated some inexact amount of star prospects so that they don't get stuck in the middle ground of good-but-not-great territory and can jump right into top-team territory. Eeeeeeeexcept every team has to trudge through the middle ground to get to Cup contention, regardless of strategy. It's A) fantasy land to suggest otherwise, and B) blatantly ignoring all the problems with tanking too long, as has been seen with other franchises and described on this forum ad nauseum at this point.

I mean, damn, what a miserable approach, to think "hey, we've got these high-end prospects like Edvinsson and Kasper, but between the risk of them flaming out and the prospects who've already turned into impact NHLers possibly not being good enough, we should just keep tanking until..... Stanley Cup? Gross. I hate it.

Steve Yzerman didn't come back to Detroit to tank the team for his first 10 years. He, and this franchise, are better than that.

Yzerman, don’t be the B from apartment 23. You’re better than that. We’re all better than that

Reactions: jaster

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's dumb-dumb territory to suggest that Detroit has to tank for X number of years until they've accumulated some inexact amount of star prospects so that they don't get stuck in the middle ground of good-but-not-great territory and can jump right into top-team territory.
Always love the vagueness of the people that push this... :laugh:

6ot3mk.jpg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I edited my original post and responded further about Colorado.

I do agree they could be fine. I believe in this thread a couple weeks back or so I have stated I support going forward as we are. I understand the circumstances we have with guys like Larkin and Bert and emergence of guys like Seider and Raymond coming sooner than I'm sure anyone expected.

I'm very hopeful Seider and Edvinsson with their size and ability can create a defensive core that other teams can't match. We are on track to potentially be able to sustain forward depth. I have confidence that Yzerman will be able to maintain a culture that gets us reasonable contracts on these players going forward.

Again, as mentioned before. If guys like Edvinsson and Kasper don't pan out, we could end up in no mans land and backtracking. However, I do believe in those two guys, otherwise I would be very against going forward at this time.

With the current team structure that's ok. Look at the next phase of Detroit's rebuild as a 3 year project based on the salaries and contract lengths on the team.

Players we are confident will be around:
Larkin
Seider
Raymond
Edvinsson
Kasper

Copp and Chiarot are around but are complementary pieces, not core guys. No one else is a guarantee, so we have plenty of time to see how the true core can do in that 3 year window and if it's worth continuing with.

We don't know how good Raymond can potentially be, but I'd bet that he develops in a way to have a similar offensive impact to Kevin Fiala and Willy Nylander while providing strong defensive play from the wing. That is a franchise cornerstone winger and an elite player in the league.

We don't know just how good Seider can be but like I said before, he was a top 10 defenseman as a rookie. I think he can become a top 5 or better defenseman in the league. He'll be the team's bonafide superstar.

A healthy Larkin with good wingers is comparable to Aho, Zibanejad and Schiefele in offensive impact and we hope he improves on the defensive side of the puck.

We don't know what we have in Kasper or Edvinsson yet but I'd be willing to bet that they're at least good complementary players. Maybe better.

It will be about building a team structure underneath these guys to see how far they can carry this team. If in 3 years Raymond is only a 60ish point winger, Larkin can't stay healthy, and both Edvinsson and Kasper are just OK instead of great players it might be time to pull the chute and start over again if we don't have some other lesser known guys like Wallinder, Johansson, Berggren and so on turn into stars.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
With the current team structure that's ok. Look at the next phase of Detroit's rebuild as a 3 year project based on the salaries and contract lengths on the team.

Players we are confident will be around:
Larkin
Seider
Raymond
Edvinsson
Kasper

Copp and Chiarot are around but are complementary pieces, not core guys. No one else is a guarantee, so we have plenty of time to see how the true core can do in that 3 year window and if it's worth continuing with.

We don't know how good Raymond can potentially be, but I'd bet that he develops in a way to have a similar offensive impact to Kevin Fiala and Willy Nylander while providing strong defensive play from the wing. That is a franchise cornerstone winger and an elite player in the league.

We don't know just how good Seider can be but like I said before, he was a top 10 defenseman as a rookie. I think he can become a top 5 or better defenseman in the league. He'll be the team's bonafide superstar.

A healthy Larkin with good wingers is comparable to Aho, Zibanejad and Schiefele in offensive impact and we hope he improves on the defensive side of the puck.

We don't know what we have in Kasper or Edvinsson yet but I'd be willing to bet that they're at least good complementary players. Maybe better.

It will be about building a team structure underneath these guys to see how far they can carry this team. If in 3 years Raymond is only a 60ish point winger, Larkin can't stay healthy, and both Edvinsson and Kasper are just OK instead of great players it might be time to pull the chute and start over again if we don't have some other lesser known guys like Wallinder, Johansson, Berggren and so on turn into stars.
Great post, agree with most everything here. The next stage of development is going to be key for our young players.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This year's moves make the Red Wings watchable again.
But this team doesn't get exciting until Kasper, Edvinsson and Cossa are on the team contributing. If these players are what we hope, then things start get exciting.

This year, we probably hit around 80-85 points... flirt with a playoff spot until about Valentine's Day.

But the youth - the rebuild - the actual "Yzerplan" - are going to be what turn this team into a contender.

I think Larkin and maybe Bertuzzi and Hronek and possibly Copp will be around to see that day as Red Wings.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
This year's moves make the Red Wings watchable again.
But this team doesn't get exciting until Kasper, Edvinsson and Cossa are on the team contributing. If these players are what we hope, then things start get exciting.

This year, we probably hit around 80-85 points... flirt with a playoff spot until about Valentine's Day.

But the youth - the rebuild - the actual "Yzerplan" - are going to be what turn this team into a contender.

I think Larkin and maybe Bertuzzi and Hronek and possibly Copp will be around to see that day as Red Wings.
I do think that one more year of picking high would do wonders for the core, especially in a loaded draft like 2023 is projected to be. If we are out come playoff time, would love to see some recouping of assets at the deadline and moving up in the 1st round of the draft (if possible).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad