Klingberg is dealing with 'a hip related issue of some sort’.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hopefully players learn a lesson from Klingberg. You have such a short time to make money as an NHL player that it makes sense to accept a large, long term offer instead of trying to gamble on yourself for a year. If Huberdeau never accepted Calgary's offer he'd probably be looking at a 5 million/1 year show me deal with another team this year. Klingberg's mistake will probably cost him close to 40 million in career earnings.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Klingberg is obviously injured, but the bigger question is why would Brad even try signing him if this news has been out since 2014...

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
odd are its a nagging injury that gets better then comes right back. I bet he needs surgery, now if he gets the surgery and recovery goes past the end of the contract do the Leafs still pay him? Could be an interesting way to flex their financial muscles. Say he you need this surgery, you will be out almost 2 yrs but since you are under contract we have to pay you your salary till you recover?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hopefully players learn a lesson from Klingberg. You have such a short time to make money as an NHL player that it makes sense to accept a large, long term offer instead of trying to gamble on yourself for a year. If Huberdeau never accepted Calgary's offer he'd probably be looking at a 5 million/1 year show me deal with another team this year. Klingberg's mistake will probably cost him close to 40 million in career earnings.
If he didn't sign with Calgary when he landed, he would have been moved at the TDL. Whether he regained his FLA form, who knows. Unknown what the market would have been for him. Not many big names hit the UFA market.

Unless the agent was sure "via some tampering" with other GMs, he really should have pushed Klingberg to sign with Dallas.

I mean, it was a flat cap. So, easy enough to go through capfriendly to see where each team stood. Then estimate the amount RFAs were to get from their own team. That leaves a better snapshot of who can afford $8 mill plus for Klingberg, if any. Those with the cap space, then have to ask if a RHD is a top need for them. Cause, moving contracts was very expensive to do the prior couple of seasons, so no surprise teams not that interested to do it.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
F1-cxvUacAE4iwt

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
odd are its a nagging injury that gets better then comes right back. I bet he needs surgery, now if he gets the surgery and recovery goes past the end of the contract do the Leafs still pay him? Could be an interesting way to flex their financial muscles. Say he you need this surgery, you will be out almost 2 yrs but since you are under contract we have to pay you your salary till you recover?
That would be cap circumvention.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
They can’t do anything about it.
At the very least, you don't think that if Klingberg went to the NHLPA and said 'I'm totally healthy enough to play and they are forcing me to sit out', that news wouldn't come out publicly? It would be a big story.

People just assume that teams are forcing players to sit out so they can put them on LTIR because it reinforces how they feel about said teams, and don't realize what goes on behind the scenes. It's like people that say 'Ahhh why didn't we sign 'x' player!!!!!' without realizing that both the player and team have to agree to the contract.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Tragically, hip problems could spell the end of his career.
yup almost as bad as breaking those little bones in your foot. Maybe he will be lucky and be ahead by a century in recovery time. I hope he has the courage to get the fix and hope the medical poets know whats best.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Jesus.. to anyone watching it should be clear he has no mobility, cant turn and cant accelerate

I cant stand the player but he is clearly a physical shell of even just two years ago

Hips make sense
Supposedly they said, he’s been dealing with it most of his career.

So a little rest, should be fine like before, as he’s never failed a physical.

Reactions: andora

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A little common sense would tell you that a player isn't going to accept LTIR if he isn't hurt, especially one who hopes to get another contract next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad