Confirmed with Link: Klim Kostin signs 2 year extension (2 mil aav)

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I know he's a big body who likes to hit, and he's very willing to drop the gloves. What I didn't know is how very, very funny he is. There are lots of videos out there that show that side of his personality. It'll be cool to have a guy like that around here for a change.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Nice. Interested to see what he can do with a slightly bigger role than he had in Edmonton.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I'm very happy about this signing, we need one or two guys like this. We've needed someone like this since...McCarty left. Man that's a long time to leave your skilled guys exposed.

This kid is willing to fight anyone, but he's not a maniac or sh*thead that's going to take bad penalties or try to injure someone. Great pick-up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really liked him as a prospect and he has played a heavy NHL game. At the end of the season Yzerman said he was going to get us stronger and harder to play against. Kostin helps there, he drags guys into the game and protects his teammates. Was well liked in Edmonton and St. Louis. He is a depth piece but I like this move.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Disclaimer that I like Kostin moreso because I think theres some shooting ability and more skill than people realize here.

But with this, us drafting multiple goon defensemen who cant skate, the Leafs signing signing Ryan Reaves, and Boston and Toronto apparently gearing up for a Bertuzzi bidding war, I think it's safe to say Matt Thachuk is our division's Tom Wilson. Prepare for alot of stupid transactions for in the Atlantic division

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Between Kasper, Danielson, Söderblom, Kostin and Mazur this team will be getting annoying to play against pretty soon.
This seems to be the theme of the rebuild, so I'm certainly not directing my response against you specifically.

But there's a difference between being hard to play against and being a good team.

"Hard to play against" can be anything from getting your butt kicked 6-1, to knowing you will beat somebody but it will be an annoying experience. I want a team that not only is hard to play against, but has multiple players that opponents struggle to game plan for.

Fast forward five years. Let's say that the current favorites in the East are all done or nearly done contending. Based on what we know now, my guess is that New Jersey likely presents the biggest challenge to Detroit. So if we're giving both teams favorable projections with their respective rosters and prospect pipelines:

If I'm Detroit, I have to game plan for:
* Jack Hughes
* Nico Hischier
* Timo Meijer
* Luke Hughes
* Simon Nemec
* Jesper Bratt
(And they have a few more prospects that are less certain in their projections.)

If I'm New Jersey, I have to game plan for:
* Dylan Larkin
* Lucas Raymond
* Marco Kasper
* Mo Seider
* Simon Edvinsson
(And they have a few more prospects that are less certain in their projections.)

Now obviously a lot can still happen in five years. But I don't see how that second list hopes to beat that first list 4 times in 7 games. Detroit simply needs more high end talent, and the Danielson's and ASP's of the world could end up being good players, but aren't shattering realistic expectations to become the next Jack Hughes or Adam Fox.

New Jersey is getting there by being far luckier than they deserve in the lottery, combined with making some very good trades. Which makes it all the more imperative that Detroit turns over every single rock they can to become not only a frustrating but a dangerous playoff opponent.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Nice trade, good signing. The team begins to look more and more like an Yzerman team and not the train wreck Holland left behind. Interested in seeing what we do in free agency.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Exactly what everyone on this board has wanted for a while. A legit tough guy that can score 15 goals and hits like a truck.

Theres a couple line combos I think could be interesting. Could be the perfect winger with Kasper because he has enough skill but can help him when it comes time to mix it up. I also think you might see Rasmussen play meaner if hes got a guy like Klimdros on his line

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If I'm Detroit, I have to game plan for:
* Jack Hughes
* Nico Hischier
* Timo Meijer
* Luke Hughes
* Simon Nemec
* Jesper Bratt

If I'm New Jersey, I have to game plan for:
* Dylan Larkin
* Lucas Raymond
* Marco Kasper
* Mo Seider
* Simon Edvinsson

Now obviously a lot can still happen in five years. But I don't see how that second list hopes to beat that first list 4 times in 7 games.
Is the gameplan against Hughes to just score a lot because he sucks defensively?

But yeah, grass is gonna look greener because the grass is actually greener in NJ right now. We're still working on planting the seeds that could give us the same outlook.
A few guys among Danielson/ASP/Mazur/Söderblom/Rasmussen/Cossa/Wallinder/Berggren/Lombardi/etc. need to turn into guys other teams have to watch out for/plan for.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is the gameplan against Hughes to just score a lot because he sucks defensively?

But yeah, grass is gonna look greener because the grass is actually greener in NJ right now. We're still working on planting the seeds that could give us the same outlook.
A few guys among Danielson/ASP/Mazur/Söderblom/Rasmussen/Cossa/Wallinder/Berggren/Lombardi/etc. need to turn into guys other teams have to watch out for/plan for.
And that's the word I'm fighting against. Don't be so conservative that your success completely hinges on that being NEED instead of WANT.

They can swing a trade, give up maybe one of those guys and a pick or two, still WANT one or more of those guys to pan out, and also HAVE a very good player that's already a known success.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I know he's a big body who likes to hit, and he's very willing to drop the gloves. What I didn't know is how very, very funny he is. There are lots of videos out there that show that side of his personality. It'll be cool to have a guy like that around here for a change.

He actually seems like an awesome guy.

And I think there is some untapped potential here. He never really got a chance in the top 6 with the oilers.

From watching him regularly last season he thrives on the cycle and has a low key good shot. This isn’t the 1st line goal scorer everyone wants but I really like the add.

Pair him with Veleno and we’ll have one of the most physical line’s in the league.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad