KLEFBOM is the REAL DEAL

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's a shame we're going to ruin his development just like we did with Gilbert, Smid, Petry, and now Schultz.

It's laughable he's being asked to play the minutes he's being asked to play.

i'm not saying we didn't ruin those guys development. I really don't know if we did or not. Yes it would be nice for those players to play behind a top pairing but it still doesn't prove we ruined their development.

Who's to say Smid, Gilbert, Petry, Schultz don't turn into exactly what they are developing on a different team. Gilbert, Smid, and Petry made no appreciable improvements since they left Edmonton.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Shake your head all you want. I saw plenty from Petry over the years to see him for the kind of player he really is. Looks like he's ripping it up in Montreal though....10 gp, 0 points, 0 +/-.:sarcasm:
Their fans seem pretty happy with him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Shake your head all you want. I saw plenty from Petry over the years to see him for the kind of player he really is. Looks like he's ripping it up in Montreal though....10 gp, 0 points, 0 +/-.:sarcasm:
I think you are missing the point. Petry is not the most wonderful thing to ever take to the ice. I'm a big fan and I don't even believe that. What he is is a legit NHL player (ie not a turnover machine with a worse breakout than Gator).

The Oilers have never at any point since about 2010 had enough legit NHL defensemen all healthy at one time. Its ridiculous. For five seasons these pinheads haven't been able to accumulate seven NHL defencemen. And when they do manage to kind of sort of by accident "develop" one they think "****, that was easy. We can afford to move this guy on for nothing (Tom Gilbert->NSchultz->5th round pick->nothing) and plug the next great hope into our lineup".

Mark Fistric
Theo Peckham
Corey Potter
Nick Schultz
Anton Belov
Taylor Fedun
Andrew Ference
Mark Fraser
Denis Grebeshkov
Brad Hunt
Philip Larsen
Keith Aulie
Mark Fayne
Nikita Nikitin
Jordan Oesterle

That's a list of guys the Oilers have "tried out" since Tom Gilbert got moved.
See any winners there? I guess I have no complaints about Fayne. I see a whole lot of names that are significantly worse than Gilbert or Petry, and in fact mostly not even in the league. But some how the Oilers big brains think that list allows them to move along both Gilbert and Petry ... cause Klefbom and Nurse.

And its not like the Oilers were flush before they traded Gilbert. Whitney was never long for the game and they knew it. Visnovsky didn't want to be here and neither did Pitkanen. Souray they ran out of town. They broke down Smid's spirit with the losing and the pressure till he became a pitiful shell of what he once was flopping around the crease trying to block every shot. And those were the best names on the roster. Others included ...

Dean Arsene
Taylor Chorney
Aaron Johnson
Johan Motin
Alex Plante
Jason Strudwick

Who uses that many plugs in one season? Again. I'm left searching for names that represent an improvement over Gilbert and Petry. Nothing. Its been close to a decade since the Oilers have had a respectable blueline. I hope you can understand the frustration when fans see the same patterns repeating again and again. And useful NHL players become 5th round draft picks, to be replaced on the Oilers roster by a name from the list above.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
^Simply outstanding post Harpoon. One would think you had that one ready and waiting on the backburner..:handclap:

ps you missed Colten Teubert, Brandon Davidson. Probably more but point made I would think.

Last edited:

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
I think you are missing the point. Petry is not the most wonderful thing to ever take to the ice. I'm a big fan and I don't even believe that. What he is is a legit NHL player (ie not a turnover machine with a worse breakout than Gator).

The Oilers have never at any point since about 2010 had enough legit NHL defensemen all healthy at one time. Its ridiculous. For five seasons these pinheads haven't been able to accumulate seven NHL defencemen. And when they do manage to kind of sort of by accident "develop" one they think "****, that was easy. We can afford to move this guy on for nothing (Tom Gilbert->NSchultz->5th round pick->nothing) and plug the next great hope into our lineup".

Mark Fistric
Theo Peckham
Corey Potter
Nick Schultz
Anton Belov
Taylor Fedun
Andrew Ference
Mark Fraser
Denis Grebeshkov
Brad Hunt
Philip Larsen
Keith Aulie
Mark Fayne
Nikita Nikitin
Jordan Oesterle

See any winners there? I guess I have no complaints about Fayne. I see a whole lot of names that are significantly worse than Gilbert or Petry, and in fact mostly not even in the league. But some how the Oilers big brains think that list allows them to move along both Gilbert and Petry ... cause Klefbom and Nurse.

And its not like the Oilers were flush before they traded Gilbert. Whitney was never long for the game and they knew it. Visnovsky didn't want to be here and neither did Pitkanen. Souray they ran out of town. They broke down Smid's spirit with the losing and the pressure till he became a pitiful shell of what he once was flopping around the crease trying to block every shot. And those were the best names on the roster. Others included ...

Dean Arsene
Taylor Chorney
Aaron Johnson
Johan Motin
Alex Plante
Jason Strudwick

Who uses that many plugs in one season? Again. I'm left searching for names that represent an improvement over Gilbert and Petry. Nothing. Its been close to a decade since the Oilers have had a respectable blueline. I hope you can understand the frustration when fans see the same patterns repeating again and again. And useful NHL players become 5th round draft picks, to be replaced on the Oilers roster by a name from the list above.

Great read.

Thanks.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
when Petry was "let go" he was 46th all time Oilers roster # of games played..

I'm reminded of that seeing Harpoon's list of the Defense carousel of futility

Petry survived it.. and he's free of it, and free to reap the reward of his suffering

Playing a true #3 in Montreal he's really taking off.. he's looking at 4.5 to 5.5ish with term

the Irony of it all... this last Summer Petry asked for Smid $$'s 3.5 and 3 yrs, MacT countered 3.1 and 2 yrs (the deal a person with less confidence in his abilities would take)... Petry camp replied no thanks.. we'll take one year at 3.1 BOOM

MacT gave Nikki BANK

and Fayne got the Smid dollars..

Klefbom should hire Petry's agent yesterday

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Perty isn't a superstar d-man. I am confident the Oilers will find an adequate replacement for him.

HOW can you be confident? We needed at least 2 MORE Petry level players to make the team MEDIOCRE again and we couldn't get them. We couldn't replace Sam bleepin' Gagner, or Horcoff before him. We can't seem to replace anyone.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Mark Fistric
Theo Peckham
Corey Potter
Nick Schultz
Anton Belov
Taylor Fedun
Andrew Ference
Mark Fraser
Denis Grebeshkov
Brad Hunt
Philip Larsen
Keith Aulie
Mark Fayne
Nikita Nikitin
Jordan Oesterle

Dean Arsene
Taylor Chorney
Aaron Johnson
Johan Motin
Alex Plante
Jason Strudwick

the trades work out

Gilbert-NSchultz-5th tounder-Nikiten

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
And Nikitin < nothing as he's a waste of cap space.

Great post harpoon.

Yup, great post. Hard to believe that that 5th was even squandered to secure negotiating rights with that bum. Comes to camp out of shape. Fragile as a box of glass being delivered by Ace Ventura. Embarrassing.

Flow like a harpoon, daily and nightly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad