News Article: Klefbom interview on contract, season in general (coaching), McDavid and WHC

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Great interview. I agree that Swedish interviews always seem to have much more interesting content.

It's really telling the amount of players that have mentioned that Eakins was bad, especially considering how conservative hockey players are. They rarely say anything negative about former teammates or coaches. Eakins has bad almost all of his top players insinuate that he was awful. Its kind of impressive really.

"I think that this is a great teachable moment for Connor" - Eakins after playing Mcdavid for 3 minutes and losing the game 1-10 (Mcdavid scoring the only goal for the Oil)

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

I would give the Michael Jordan hall of fame speech.

First off this cup is more special then the last 5, like to take the time to thank the toronto pr machine for pumping Dallas Eakins after drafting Connor Mcdavid (being 28th) having the highest jump in points in NhL history at 45 the year after. We didn't know what we had when he had Dallas here, but it goes to show you how much as an organization we rely on Karma and superstition :laugh::laugh::laugh: lmao

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
If Eakins gets another coaching job ANYWHERE I will be floored. Although hockey is about pockets of OBC and he will get a job somewhere. Will he be NHL head coach? How in the wold could you justify that to your fan base?

Eakins taking away the ping pong table, doughnuts from the MEDIA, taking down pictures of the glory days in the dressing room. THis guy focused on the dumbest things other than what was important in an attempt to look like some sort of transformational genius.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
"After he scored that great goal, I decided to bench Connor in the 3rd because I wanted him to leave the game on a high note."

OH GOD that rankled me when Eakins did that to Yakupov. Classic case of someone overthinking a situation in trying to show off how smart of a coach he was. :rant:

Correction , show how dumb of a coach he was

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nelson's priority order seems simple:

1. NHL head coach
2. NHL assistant coach
3. AHL head coach

I doubt he's going to get an NHL head coaching job so it makes sense to stay in Edmonton as McLellan's assistant.

With what he has done in the AHL and then with the Oilers this year. I have to think he is getting interviews this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Eakins gets another coaching job ANYWHERE I will be floored. Although hockey is about pockets of OBC and he will get a job somewhere. Will he be NHL head coach? How in the wold could you justify that to your fan base?

Eakins taking away the ping pong table, doughnuts from the MEDIA, taking down pictures of the glory days in the dressing room. THis guy focused on the dumbest things other than what was important in an attempt to look like some sort of transformational genius.

I don't know. The guy was an excellent AHL coach. He will definetely get offers to go to the AHL again. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him go work as an assistant.

It might take him some time, but getting fired and reflecting isn't a bad thing for a coach.

Not saying he'll be a NHL head coach in the next year or two, but he'll be hired somewhere for some sort of coaching job.

The one restriction could be that we paid him too much money and he might rather sit and collect a pay cheque then take a low paying job.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Maybe the title of................???

Nelson's priority order seems simple:

1. NHL head coach
2. NHL assistant coach
3. AHL head coach

I doubt he's going to get an NHL head coaching job so it makes sense to stay in Edmonton as McLellan's assistant.

Would the title of associate coach with McLellan as head coach...............plus the lure of adding McDavid to a loaded forward group plus a young team on the rise should be enough to convince Nelson to stay?

-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad