Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers scored some timely goals to hold the lead last night. Erie is a tough opponent. One that other teams were hoping to avoid. Like the Rangers they are missing some skilled players. The physicality will likely pick up along with penalties as this wears on. Got to stay out of the box.

Reactions: I Mac 80 and RB76

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rangers scored some timely goals to hold the lead last night. Erie is a tough opponent. One that other teams were hoping to avoid. Like the Rangers they are missing some skilled players. The physicality will likely pick up along with penalties as this wears on. Got to stay out of the box.
Last night I saw guys looking to put us on the PK and looking to give the puck away in the O zone.

Putting the higher end teams on the PP unnecessarily will kill us. That and giving the puck away in the O zone. The behind the back passes that luckily weren’t scooped up by the Otters will be scooped up by the better teams and will wind up in the back of our net.

Have to clean that stuff up.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Last night I saw guys looking to put us on the PK and looking to give the puck away in the O zone.

Putting the higher end teams on the PP unnecessarily will kill us. That and giving the puck away in the O zone. The behind the back passes that luckily weren’t scooped up by the Otters will be scooped up by the better teams and will wind up in the back of our net.

On one of the Erie goals, the Ranger totally assisted on it. Wouldn't have happened otherwise

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

One issue the Rangers have is their break out. Last night it seemed fine for two periods. They came out in the 3rd not skating. When the Otters dumped pucks in to the Rangers end Parsons corralled it behind the net and stayed there to long. Rangers were slow getting back and had Otter players all over them before they could move the puck out. Also Razor needs to start going to the dirty areas with the puck on his stick. He has gone back to playing the perimeter. Power plays die trying to get pucks to him. Rangers need him scoring to get is through a series. When interviewed Jussi said he doesn't get too excited about winning one game in the playoffs. I believe Rangers went into OT 3 times against Erie in the regular season. Elinas is tied for the most points in the playoffs at this point. Hope he keeps going. Kid goes to the net to score in scrums.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Sale-Mesar-Misaljevic line is rolling. Ellinas is doing a great job on the 1st line but we need Razor to get back to his scoring ways. The kid line had their chances and Pug & company did their thing BUT need to know when to walk away.

Razor went nuclear near the end of the game. He pestered Erie so much that he was punched in the face (I'm sure Johnston will apologize....). Penalty called (unlike the obvious elbow to Sop's head) and that sealed the win.

Rangers were much more physical than I've seen and were mostly walking away from any antics. Their letdown in the game can not happen again. On the whole a good game but not their best by any means. They can do better and listening to Jussi after the game, he thought so too.

Swick is missed....no doubt.

Erie will come out hard on Sunday. Rangers need to come out harder.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
That type of team D will get us killed against a London or Saginaw. They won the game but no means was that a great win.

Why can’t Razor play with that intensity like his last shift of the game? That was by far his best shift. Maybe he just needs to pretend the net is empty all the time….

Ellinas….what an improvement since his first game as a Ranger. That trade was robbery.

Sale looked good but as like Razor I’d be nice if the intensity was higher every shift.

Mesar with a quite 3 points. When he had the puck he looked dangerous.

Parson looked solid. I thought Kitchener gave a lot of high quality chances and he did a good job of bailing them out.

Reid….this kid just doesn’t make many mistakes. What a treat he will be to watch in 3 years.

Romano confidence increase since game 1 of the season crazy. He has outplayed Lam the last 2 months.

Motew doesn’t get enough praise I find. Just a solid D.

Hopefully a better team defence game on Sunday.

Mar 12, 2009
Penalties or no, the physical engagement was promising in game 1. Got to learn to stay out of the box, but you don't learn until you try. Had a really bad stretch where Erie hemmed them in for a good 10min, but other than that I thought it was a decent game. There were a couple of bad missed calls (Sop head shot especially), but they got right back to the game instead of focusing their attention on that.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
While I agree that Razor can play better than he did (especially in the Rangers end), I thought that he had a number of good looks from the home plate area. He hits on one of those and his game looks different. I also thought that it was fairly clear that a point of emphasis for the Otters was 'don't let Rehkopf beat us'. He drew a lot of attention in the offensive zone and I don't think it is a coincidence that his linemates had three goals (his line was also on for Dirracolo, IIRC).

Stick tap to the PK on the 5 on 3. That sequence had the potential to change the game. They gave up shots, but mostly from the outside and Parsons made the saves. Sop and Hunter B were in the box and would normally play in those situations. Was interesting to me that Ellinas was the guy that got tapped to play at forward.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I want him to succeed but we need him to return so we can restock the draft cupboard lol
Unless Rehkopf has a Skinner like playoff run, he's returning. Skinner just wouldn't be denied and it carried over to training camp and the next season when he won the Calder. If Rehkopf can do that this year I'll take it, even if we lose him next season.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Maybe it’s just the way the highlites were framed but looked like both Goaltenders had a strong 1st game of the playoffs. Is Parsons due back next season in Kitchener? Man I like watching him play reminds me of a Parsons we had in London a few years back.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Maybe it’s just the way the highlites were framed but looked like both Goaltenders had a strong 1st game of the playoffs. Is Parsons due back next season in Kitchener? Man I like watching him play reminds me of a Parsons we had in London a few years back.
He will be an OA along with Malboeuf. One will have to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad