Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comet09

Jan 8, 2024
If my kid was a dman I'd definitely be leaning towards the NCAA. Most of the top dmen in the NHL are either US college or Euro trained. Admittedly not a clue why that's the case.
That is a very financially risky route and it surprises me. If my kid was a top prospect, unless he was offered a spot on the top NCAA team and was good with leaving after his first or second year, I would not encourage the college route. An Economics Prof once shared with me how dumb the decision was financially for top prospects to choose NCAA over the O if they plan to finish their college program. You can get your degree anytime, but you can't get your peak athletic performance years back and the sooner you perform well in the NHL the sooner you get massive earning potential. It's also risky to commit three or four years to a (non-earning) program during your peak athletic years with the chance that you could sustain a career limiting injury. Plus, the O provides money for post-secondary. NCAA is a good route for kids whose families are realistic that they will never play in the NHL and are content that they get to play hockey while earning a quality degree in a quality program.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That is a very financially risky route and it surprises me. If my kid was a top prospect, unless he was offered a spot on the top NCAA team and was good with leaving after his first or second year, I would not encourage the college route. An Economics Prof once shared with me how dumb the decision was financially for top prospects to choose NCAA over the O if they plan to finish their college program. You can get your degree anytime, but you can't get your peak athletic performance years back and the sooner you perform well in the NHL the sooner you get massive earning potential. It's also risky to commit three or four years to a (non-earning) program during your peak athletic years with the chance that you could sustain a career limiting injury. Plus, the O provides money for post-secondary. NCAA is a good route for kids whose families are realistic that they will never play in the NHL and are content that they get to play hockey while earning a quality degree in a quality program.
Good points. Only a very small percentage of junior age players or college players make the jump to pro. Most don't have the skill level or skating to keep up with the pace. Some do get a cup of coffee and disappear. Also the average size in the NHL is around 6'1" 200 pounds. Dmen are usually bigger. It's great these young players have options. Still I am a fan of OHL hockey so I want to see the top prospects in this league.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Any updates on the lineup tonight?

434739085_852114023594835_1767521761738247116_n.jpg

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Namestikov got 4 games for the hit in the Soo. Bought time.
I wonder if Edwards get a call for the hit on Sop? Sop stayed on the ice so I’m not sure, if he would’ve left the game I would say a suspension would be guaranteed. He was Erie’s best player tonight so that would be good for us.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I wonder if Edwards get a call for the hit on Sop? Sop stayed on the ice so I’m not sure, if he would’ve left the game I would say a suspension would be guaranteed. He was Erie’s best player tonight so that would be good for us.
Doubt they even look at the hit. Sop skated away after. Erie got away with about 3-4 infractions. Team has to play through. I would like to see Pug either put up some points or shut his mug. Dumb penalty in the 3rd and the Rangers came out kind of flat. Elinas big game. Sale and Mesar were real noticeable . Razor needs to get his nose dirty in these games.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It was a clear elbow to the head and looked completely intentional. If THAT’S not a penalty or a suspension….

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Rookie line drawed 2 penalties, Thought Dirracolo and savard were a good duo tonight. Hm to Mercer

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
One of those games where we were good but not great. Happy to get the game 1 win nonetheless.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Plus / Minuses to both but drafted (to NHL) from the NCAA means that you are immediately eligible to play in the AHL. CHL players drafted (to NHL) either make the NHL or are forced back to their Junior team. For pure money the AHL pays I think 85k a year and as far as development I think a case could be made for either depending on the player?

Reactions: bobber
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad