Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There was a time I felt like that about the Rangers. Last time was after 2010 when we lost to Windsor in the conference final. Thought it was going to be a quick rebuild. Still waiting. Hopefully this time clicks.
Can't remember if it was Spott but someone in the organization said they were going to follow the London model. The only issue was London wouldn't give up their plan. Unless the plan was to make us more insane every time Rangers play them and lose. If that was it it's working great!

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Can't remember if it was Spott but someone in the organization said they were going to follow the London model. The only issue was London wouldn't give up their plan. Unless the plan was to make us more insane every time Rangers play them and lose. If that was it it's working great!
I could be wrong but I doubt it was Spott. We already had a model when he was here and London was only really getting started. I recall hearing that too. I think it was either Bienkowski, Hiebert or MM.

Although London takes extra pleasure in beating Kitchener, it's just a byproduct of their success. Sometimes I think the Rangers (and their fans) sole goal is just to beat London. It's become an unhealthy obsession imo.

Mar 12, 2009
I could be wrong but I doubt it was Spott. We already had a model when he was here and London was only really getting started. I recall hearing that too. I think it was either Bienkowski, Hiebert or MM.

Although London takes extra pleasure in beating Kitchener, it's just a byproduct of their success. Sometimes I think the Rangers (and their fans) sole goal is just to beat London. It's become an unhealthy obsession imo.
I've said this before, and everyone got really mad at me lol.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I could be wrong but I doubt it was Spott. We already had a model when he was here ….
Yeah the model here was the DeBoer model. It was quite successful the entire time he was here. Entertaining teams every year that had a chance to go deep. Skilled and tough. No nonsense.

After the Fanelli / Liambis incident, this team went in a different direction. Not sure if that direction was Spott’s call or mandated from on high by Steve B. I think the latter. But there was an obvious organizational shift that took place.

Except for MM’s refreshing throwback team in 2017-2018, (that would have done DeBoer proud), this team has been for all intents and purposes, a soft team that “took the high road” and employed the philosophy of “make them pay on the PP”.

That wins you games in the regular season, but as we’ve seen year in and year out, won’t win you much of anything in the playoffs.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London

It's incredibly obvious, and so tiring to watch year after year. The fact MM is now just realizing he needs grit and size was a weird thing to say. I don't think he was entirely oblivious (he did sign Xhejak afterall) but like come on!

The "London Model" is pretty simple: good drafting, good coaching, consistency. They have had all 3 since 2005 (more or less).

Rangers had it from 2003-2010. Since then it's been new GM's, various coaches, and with that, no consistency. The board and higherups use the history of the Rangers, a "premiere and storied team" as if they built it or are continuing to it's success. Whereas in London, the people that built that success and made it a premiere team are still there and still building on it.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
It's incredibly obvious, and so tiring to watch year after year. The fact MM is now just realizing he needs grit and size was a weird thing to say. I don't think he was entirely oblivious (he did sign Xhejak afterall) but like come on!

The "London Model" is pretty simple: good drafting, good coaching, consistency. They have had all 3 since 2005 (more or less).

Rangers had it from 2003-2010. Since then it's been new GM's, various coaches, and with that, no consistency. The board and higherups use the history of the Rangers, a "premiere and storied team" as if they built it or are continuing to it's success. Whereas in London, the people that built that success and made it a premiere team are still there and still building on it.
Consistency is huge, totally agree. And when the decision makers need only to answer to themselves, and not appease an owner, a board or whatever, it's less complicated.
Might work out, might not but without the layers of authority usually involved.......

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's such a hard thing to do consistently a this level. To find talented staff that are willing to put in the work and stay in the Junior market is hard.

Often times people are looking for ways to get in, get their start, and then move on to the pro levels.

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018

Attachments

• 1000004017.jpg
    1000004017.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

It was Spott, I remember him saying that was the worse day of his life and he didnt want to be responsible for his team for injuring a player like that.

Consistency is huge, totally agree. And when the decision makers need only to answer to themselves, and not appease an owner, a board or whatever, it's less complicated.
Might work out, might not but without the layers of authority usually involved.......
Also, its a development league and players do move up when they've aged out or has progressed greatly in their development. This also holds holds true in most cases (note: in most cases) for coaches and GM's. ;) But its their team...their rules!

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It was Spott, I remember him saying that was the worse day of his life and he didnt want to be responsible for his team for injuring a player like that.
The quote in question wasn't about the Fanelli injury, which is what I believe you're referring to. It was about following the London model for success.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Took a trip down memory lane to the 06-07 Rangers. They lost to eventual winners Plymouth that year but I felt at the time it was the one that got away. I think they were every bit as good outside of in net. Murray fell apart that series.

Anyway, scrolling through that roster I was surprised to see that 13 players who suited up for at least 1 game on that team eventually played at least 1 game in the NHL. Is there a team in Kitchener history with a greater number? Also, Mike Hoffman the local kid is the one that got away... how was that ball dropped again?

04-05 Knights which I and many hold as best OHL team of all time had 11. For the record I am comparing quantity, not quality.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Took a trip down memory lane to the 06-07 Rangers. They lost to eventual winners Plymouth that year but I felt at the time it was the one that got away. I think they were every bit as good outside of in net. Murray fell apart that series.

Anyway, scrolling through that roster I was surprised to see that 13 players who suited up for at least 1 game on that team eventually played at least 1 game in the NHL. Is there a team in Kitchener history with a greater number? Also, Mike Hoffman the local kid is the one that got away... how was that ball dropped again?

04-05 Knights which I and many hold as best OHL team of all time had 11. For the record I am comparing quantity, not quality.
1982 Rangers with Bellows I counted 12. Check that if you will. I learned to count watching Sesame Street. 👀

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Also, Mike Hoffman the local kid is the one that got away... how was that ball dropped again?
That ball wasn’t dropped, it was booted away.

From what I understand, Hoffman wasn’t good in the room off the hop and that, coupled with parental interference, had DeBoer getting rid of a player who, in his eyes, would have become a problem.

Because of this, despite his talent, it wasn’t a surprise he was waived through the league.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020

From what I understand, Hoffman wasn’t good in the room off the hop and that, coupled with parental interference, had DeBoer getting rid of a player who, in his eyes, would have become a problem.

Because of this, despite his talent, it wasn’t a surprise he was waived through the league.
Seems like that carried on through the pros

Ranger77

Dec 29, 2014

Pretty sure the team was loaded that year so it would have been tough for him to get a lot of ice time, so they gave him an opportunity to go elsewhere.

Reactions: bobber

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I know I am posting this on the Rangers thread and it doesn't really fully connect with the Rangers, but it's on topic with the recent talks about the Knights and other OHL aspects but when I was watching the Leafs introduce their new head coach the feed ended and Jeff Marek mentioned (now I am just paraphrasing as I don't have the full segment in front of me) that he believes Dale Hunter was one of the coaches interviewed for the Leafs job. He also mentioned that he doesn't think that Dale would take an NHL job again unless his brother was going to be the GM or until he broke the OHL wins record (which would be at least 4 years away at minimum).

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I know I am posting this on the Rangers thread and it doesn't really fully connect with the Rangers, but it's on topic with the recent talks about the Knights and other OHL aspects but when I was watching the Leafs introduce their new head coach the feed ended and Jeff Marek mentioned (now I am just paraphrasing as I don't have the full segment in front of me) that he believes Dale Hunter was one of the coaches interviewed for the Leafs job. He also mentioned that he doesn't think that Dale would take an NHL job again unless his brother was going to be the GM or until he broke the OHL wins record (which would be at least 4 years away at minimum).
Hopefully some of the NHL owners come to their senses and realize how great Mark and Dale are as hockey minds and grab them before someone else jumps in and signs them.
Hopefully over the summer. Maybe announced at the draft. Ranger fans would hate to see them go but they deserve to move on up like George Jefferson. Fingers crossed in KW. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad