Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
16 signed forwards.
Only 7 signed D. (Most very young).
Three OA forwards.
Two OA goalies.

We have to get down to 14 forwards max. 13 if Pobezal shows up.

I see Mercer on the bubble. Maybe the only way he stays is if a couple of the signed rookie forwards wind up on B cards.

I see two of the three OA forwards weeded out much sooner than later and an OA D brought in.

The OA goalie situation needs to be sorted out by early summer.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
“I’ve learned in the last year or so that you definitely need some physical players and some worker bees under those guys that are going to play consistently and elevate your team’s compete level”.
“I think definitely filling up our draft picks is a priority to make sure we can continuously have players coming in that are high quality. Outside of that, you can never have too many good, young players”
Very good read

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
“I’ve learned in the last year or so that you definitely need some physical players and some worker bees under those guys that are going to play consistently and elevate your team’s compete level”.
“I think definitely filling up our draft picks is a priority to make sure we can continuously have players coming in that are high quality. Outside of that, you can never have too many good, young players”
Very good read
Found this a little concerning. Hopefully he's just spinning.

Q. You can return 20 players — 12 forwards, six defencemen and two goalies — that saw OHL action last year. Is this team in contender mode?

A. It’s hard to say. Junior hockey is so hard to predict. We all saw that last year in thinking it would be a rebuild year. We have returning guys that have experience and we’ve got some good young guys. How good can they be? How do they come back after this summer? How do the 16-year-olds play? How much better can the 17-year-olds get? Things like that remain to be seen. I like the group and our new signings and, overall, I think we should have a pretty competitive team.

• Wow
Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Very good read

He's only learned in the last year or so that you need some physical players [for the playoffs] ? As a quote from a GM in their particular division I find that a bit surprising. Was it not obvious what London was doing at the trade deadline ? Knights management knew that Saginaw, as host, would have the advantage of doing whatever it takes - risk-free - and load up. So what did London do ? Along with the talent they already had, they grab a very good goaltender and add another physical body in Lawrence. I'm not nearly at the level of thinking of a GM in this league (those who actually get paid to do it), but I was puzzled why MM wouldn't have made the necessary moves to build this team for the playoffs if his choice was to go for it. I recall a few other posters making similar observations like this at the trade deadline. EvenSteven was one of them.

The one good thing in all this is that he had left this past draft selections alone, and instead compromised by grabbing a couple '05's who could potentially fit into this coming season's plans. I suppose this probably satisfied the optics to the fans that a first place team should never consider "not going for it".

Sorry for beating the dead horse again, but just found that part of the quote a bit puzzling.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
He’s only learned in the last year or so that you need physical players to compete in the playoffs???

Then what was HE doing in 2018 adding skill, combined with size and toughness? He built a classic playoff team when he added guys like Stanley, Brown, Sherwood, Smith and McEneny.

It was that type of team that took the Soo to game 7 OT in the third round. And it was that type of team that knocked that Soo team around in the second round (OS).

Found this a little concerning. Hopefully he's just spinning.

Q. You can return 20 players — 12 forwards, six defencemen and two goalies — that saw OHL action last year. Is this team in contender mode?

A. It’s hard to say. Junior hockey is so hard to predict. We all saw that last year in thinking it would be a rebuild year. We have returning guys that have experience and we’ve got some good young guys. How good can they be? How do they come back after this summer? How do the 16-year-olds play? How much better can the 17-year-olds get? Things like that remain to be seen. I like the group and our new signings and, overall, I think we should have a pretty competitive team.
He’s just saying what he has to say to help appease the casual fan and sell tickets. Can’t say in May that we’re going to suck next year.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Technically the season is still ongoing. Maybe they can’t give it to him until Martin officially ages out.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Likewise....plus Brown blocked me when he asked ppl to subscribe to the Record and I told him we did 3x but stopped each time due to lousy delivery service.....poof blocked.
The only use I’d have for a subscription is the Ranger coverage. The rest of the Record is unreadable.

Can’t justify that for two or three articles a week. Especially since most of the time this is the place to go for breaking news.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Very good read
Yes, I will take your word for it as well.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There was a time I felt like that about the Rangers. Last time was after 2010 when we lost to Windsor in the conference final. Thought it was going to be a quick rebuild. Still waiting. Hopefully this time clicks.
Oh would it ever be nice to go back to that era. Hopefully we get a glimpse of it again in the not too distant future.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
There was a time I felt like that about the Rangers. Last time was after 2010 when we lost to Windsor in the conference final. Thought it was going to be a quick rebuild. Still waiting. Hopefully this time clicks.
2010 wasn’t even our year. We overachieved that year with a young team. Then the following year, what should have been a top contending year, our season was scuttled when Skinner made the show as an 18 year old and Jeremy Morin played AHL as a 19 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad