Kitchener Rangers 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brock Otten

Justin Bottineau, C, Toronto Marlboros
Ever since I saw the Marlies play in an early season tournament, Bottineau has been a favourite of mine in this draft class. I think he’s a slam dunk to at least become a high end middle six center at this level with his attacking mentality. To me, he should be a first round selection. Quality skater. Skilled in transition. His upside will be dependent on how his vision with the puck develops, but he has a really safe trajectory as an OHL player IMO.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I was talking to a player's father at Rangers Rookie camp a few years back. He was of the opinion that you were better off being invited to multiple camps as a FA than being a late round pick. You get looks from multiple teams and more competitive ice times.

i remember an agent buddy of mine did a study on this, and it was significantly more valuable to get drafted vs a free agent. guys drafted in the 11-15 rounds got signed 4 times more often or something then free agents.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Cole Longacre, D, Windy City Storm 15U
Cole Longacre has spent his 15U season successfully growing into his large 6’1”, 201 lbs (185cm, 91kg) frame. He’s developed very smooth, extended strides that help him get up the ice with an attractive speed and elegance. He combines this with heads-up puckhandling to become a dangerous force in offensive-transition. Going the other way has been an area of growth for Longacre, though. He has shown improvements in keeping an active stick and using his long reach to drive opponents wide but is still learning how to incorporate a physical presence into all aspects of his defensive game, whether that be in transition, in the corners, or in front of the net. Longacre’s elegant skating, ability to blaze through the neutral zone, and confident passing made him a popular name among U.S. scouts all year. But his looming juniors career will be gauged by how he can continue to learn the strengths his size offers and adapt into a more two-way style.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Stats : Christian HumphreysLate round American Pick Rangers 2022GP GATP
2019-20
6.png
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite 13U
13U AAA455737943468|
2020-21
6.png
Bishop Kearney Selects 14U AAA
14U AAA4949771260-|
2021-22
6.png
Bishop Kearney Selects 15U AAA
15U AAA191915340-|
6.png
Bishop Kearney Selects 16U AAA
16U AAA5436701060-|
6.png
Bishop Kearney Selects 16U AAA
NEPACK 16U12781510-|
2022-23
6.png
U.S. National U17 Team
USDP------|
Hard to find real info on these American kids.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
ICE CHIPS from article re: Josh Brown
New Jersey native Cole Longacre (second round, 2022) wanted to attend Kitchener’s rookie camp but couldn’t cross the border since he’s waiting on a new passport. … Forward Jesse Fishman continues to make progress from a knee injury that forced him to miss all of this past season. The 19-year-old is expected to be ready to go at training camp. … Cajan, forwards Joseph Serpa, Mitch Martin and Reid Valade and defenceman Simon Motew are getting attention from NHL teams ahead of rookie development camps, which run in the summer. … Former Rangers defenceman Dylan Di Perna is representing Italy at this year’s men’s world hockey championships in Finland, while ex-forward Adam Liska is on the Slovakian national squad.

PS: This is part of an article asking if McKenzie will return as coach or whether the powers that be will decide to go back to looking at filling that position. Apparently they were in the process and Covid got in the way. McKenzie said he would go with whatever decision is put forward.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
PS: This is part of an article asking if McKenzie will return as coach or whether the powers that be will decide to go back to looking at filling that position. Apparently they were in the process and Covid got in the way. McKenzie said he would go with whatever decision is put forward.
So, based on this, as the team’s GM, he doesn’t get to pick a head coach? He doesn’t have autonomy as GM?

Brian Burke said he’d never take a GM’s job if he didn’t have complete autonomy. “If I’m driving the car, I want my hands on the wheel” was his quote.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I would think he would have autonomy to pick the head coach. I think this refers to the decision on whether or not to hire one or keep him wearing two hats.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
So, based on this, as the team’s GM, he doesn’t get to pick a head coach? He doesn’t have autonomy as GM?

Brian Burke said he’d never take a GM’s job if he didn’t have complete autonomy. “If I’m driving the car, I want my hands on the wheel” was his quote.
Good point Even. Articles are under Kitchener Ranger News. Too many adds to post the whole article but the headline refers to whether McKenzie keeps both positions. Other items in there also. I think McKenzie is a little more soft spoken than Burke. As GM maybe he picks the coach if that is the direction they decide to go in. Not sure how they operate or who makes final decisions.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Good point Even. Articles are under Kitchener Ranger News. Too many adds to post the whole article but the headline refers to whether McKenzie keeps both positions. Other items in there also. I think McKenzie is a little more soft spoken than Burke. As GM maybe he picks the coach if that is the direction they decide to go in. Not sure how they operate or who makes final decisions.
At the very least I would hope MM has a lot of input in the decision to split the position of HC and GM. If not, it's obvious there's other hands on the wheel that aren't accountable. That would explain what's been happening since DeBoer left town.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
No more Odelius. Read on......

JOSH BROWN:
The Canadian Hockey League’s import draft runs July 1 and the Rangers have several options. The team has protected Czech goalie Pavel Cajan on its overage import list but the keeper is drawing interest from NHL teams. Forward Filip Mesar is also on the team’s protected list but spent last season playing in a men’s league back home. The high-scoring 18-year-old is pegged as a first- or second-round pick in this year’s NHL draft and very much in the Rangers’ plans, if he decides to report. That means the team will pick at least one player in the draft — maybe two. CHL clubs are allowed two imports on their roster. The Rangers no longer have the rights to Swedish defenceman Calle Odelius (second round, 2021).

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hello everybody, 67's fan here with a question. We project to be quite good next year and maybe a contender. One thing we lack at present is a true #1 center. So do you guys project as all in contenders next year or would Pinelli be available at the deadline at the right price?? Just so you know our draft cupboard is bursting and we have a lot of very good young guys that could go the other way ( we have too many bodies right now.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Hello everybody, 67's fan here with a question. We project to be quite good next year and maybe a contender. One thing we lack at present is a true #1 center. So do you guys project as all in contenders next year or would Pinelli be available at the deadline at the right price?? Just so you know our draft cupboard is bursting and we have a lot of very good young guys that could go the other way ( we have too many bodies right now.

I think it’s about 50/50 on fans thinking buy vs sell. I don’t think we have enough top end talent to really give it a go next year. Im on the sell side for sure. Adding 2 elite imports and maybe a couple pervious draft picks that are committed to NCAA would change my mind.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
It all depends on the perfect storm. Will Hage and Mesar report this season? Will the Rangers draft an elite import who will come over? If Cajan goes pro, can Parsons pick up where Cajan left off? Will Gautier and Feragas come up from the States? In that case, Rangers may go for it if play warrants it. We have lots of bodies but the draft cupboard is pretty lean. Pinelli, Schmidt, Valade, and Serpa could all be trade bait.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
19-20 was our last “all in” season. We would’ve been hit hard by graduation after that season so 20–21 would’ve been a “sell” season. This past season was a “sell” season. If we do not try to contend in 22-23, in all honesty, the next time we would be set to go all in again is 24–25.

Based on our week 04 group, I cannot see us contending in 23–24. So selling off again in 22-23 would mean four straight “sell off” years.

With all this in mind, I see MM attempting to contend this season. He’ll hope we get multiple players to report both imports and high end prospects. Our cupboard is thin of high picks. We won’t be able to “buy” our way into contending.

We’ll know more by the time camp is over but depending on the above, truly contending in 22-23 is up in the air.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
19-20 was our last “all in” season. We would’ve been hit hard by graduation after that season so 20–21 would’ve been a “sell” season. This past season was a “sell” season. If we do not try to contend in 22-23, in all honesty, the next time we would be set to go all in again is 24–25.

Based on our week 04 group, I cannot see us contending in 23–24. So selling off again in 22-23 would mean four straight “sell off” years.

With all this in mind, I see MM attempting to contend this season. He’ll hope we get multiple players to report both imports and high end prospects. Our cupboard is thin of high picks. We won’t be able to “buy” our way into contending.

We’ll know more by the time camp is over but depending on the above, truly contending in 22-23 is up in the air.

Agreed. In other words, if we contend, we contend with what we have.

Reactions: EvenSteven

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Thanks for your responses guys! Sounds like it's 50/50 about going for it or not and very dependant on players reporting. Not that I wish you guys anything bad but would love Pinelli to play with his little bro who is projecting as quite the player himself.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
No more Odelius. Read on......

JOSH BROWN:
The Canadian Hockey League’s import draft runs July 1 and the Rangers have several options. The team has protected Czech goalie Pavel Cajan on its overage import list but the keeper is drawing interest from NHL teams. Forward Filip Mesar is also on the team’s protected list but spent last season playing in a men’s league back home. The high-scoring 18-year-old is pegged as a first- or second-round pick in this year’s NHL draft and very much in the Rangers’ plans, if he decides to report. That means the team will pick at least one player in the draft — maybe two. CHL clubs are allowed two imports on their roster. The Rangers no longer have the rights to Swedish defenceman Calle Odelius (second round, 2021).
So, according to Josh Brown, Odelius is not in our plans. We are still protecting Cajan and Mesar. For the life of me I can’t see Cajan as an overage/import next year with Parsons around. So, are they protecting Cajan to maybe trade him? Also, did they drop the rights to Odelius to be able to make another selection in this year’s import draft? In other years, they’d be able to make at least one selection in the import draft for every import that they have protected who is an NHL pick.

With the import draft happening before the NHL draft, there are gray areas and uncertainty all around. Does anybody have any idea what the rules are regarding protecting import players? I know what they were in the past, but there has to be some changes due to the dates of the NHL/import drafts.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Lolcanuck

Jan 7, 2020
ICE CHIPS from article re: Josh Brown
New Jersey native Cole Longacre (second round, 2022) wanted to attend Kitchener’s rookie camp but couldn’t cross the border since he’s waiting on a new passport. … Forward Jesse Fishman continues to make progress from a knee injury that forced him to miss all of this past season. The 19-year-old is expected to be ready to go at training camp. … Cajan, forwards Joseph Serpa, Mitch Martin and Reid Valade and defenceman Simon Motew are getting attention from NHL teams ahead of rookie development camps, which run in the summer. … Former Rangers defenceman Dylan Di Perna is representing Italy at this year’s men’s world hockey championships in Finland, while ex-forward Adam Liska is on the Slovakian national squad.

And another Ranger alumni was represented at the world's...Adam Keefe was assistant coach of Team GB.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Mesar is at the NHL combine as is Cutter Gauthier and former import pick Calle Odelius.

I would imagine that MM will be there in Buffalo too...?

1654344551600.png

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
1654442632369.png

TRANSLATION:
Filip Mešár took part in the tests and was the best in bening 50 % of the weight. It remains a candidate for the first round.

He feels the greatest interest from #yotes and #gobolts, they have picks at the end of the 1st round. Arizona has 4 selections in the second round to 45th place. He had the longest interview with #letsgobuffalo (Pick #28).

Mesar interviewed by media at the Combine. At around 5:32. Does mention Kitchener and seems to believe that OHL is a more offensive-minded hockey. IMO you have to be a 2-way player in the OHL to succeed. Up to MM to convince him. And depending on who drafts Mesar, they may want him over here to be exposed to North American hockey sooner than later. Mesar's english is quite good. No translator needed for questions from the media.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
View attachment 556015
TRANSLATION:
Filip Mešár took part in the tests and was the best in bening 50 % of the weight. It remains a candidate for the first round.

He feels the greatest interest from #yotes and #gobolts, they have picks at the end of the 1st round. Arizona has 4 selections in the second round to 45th place. He had the longest interview with #letsgobuffalo (Pick #28).

Mesar interviewed by media at the Combine. At around 5:32. Does mention Kitchener and seems to believe that OHL is a more offensive-minded hockey. IMO you have to be a 2-way player in the OHL to succeed. Up to MM to convince him. And depending on who drafts Mesar, they may want him over here to be exposed to North American hockey sooner than later. Mesar's english is quite good. No translator needed for questions from the media.

It would be tough convincing him to come over this year in comparison to last. James Livingston has not resigned yet for next season and it is unknown if Arniel will be back. A permanent first line role is not out of the question, especially with the way he played in the playoffs. Kitchener’s deal would have to be pretty sweet to turn down Poprad’s potential offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad